• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
Goodinterstatpost: 30546393 said:
Just out of interest, who in this thread (still running these X58 xenons), is thinking of upgrading to Ryzen?

The reason I ask is I was reading an interesting article over the weekend where it was suggested that this launch could kill off X58, and I for one will be upgrading to Ryzen from my X5650

I've been holding out for some time for a reasonably priced upgrade without losing cores

Not me. My interests these days are mainly gaming and I've yet to find a multi-threaded game that even remotely pushes this chip.

Maybe in a couple of years when Ryzen has matured, but even then I would need to see serious improvements over what I've currently got.

I moved to this setup from a Q6600 that was getting CPU bound, Dying Light springs to mind. Same game with this chip? Doesn't break a sweat.

Soldato
Not me. My interests these days are mainly gaming and I've yet to find a multi-threaded game that even remotely pushes this chip.

Maybe in a couple of years when Ryzen has matured, but even then I would need to see serious improvements over what I've currently got.

I moved to this setup from a Q6600 that was getting CPU bound, Dying Light springs to mind. Same game with this chip? Doesn't break a sweat.
Yeah I haven't really encountered any situation where it feels CPU bound. That might change when I get a Vega GPU but until then there's no need to upgrade.

Soldato

That's a fair point, mine performs perfectly fine in games...

But it's just that upgrade itch!!! Plus I want to go down the M.2 SSD route at some point in the near future, plus having USB3 to hand wouldn't hurt

I'm waiting for proper benchmarks, but the R5 1600x is the one I'll probably hold out for

Ryzen aside, if people do upgrade at least the benefit is we might see more reasonably priced X58 kit for sale

Associate
Its surprising how long lived the platform is - to think people would be using it 8 years later!!

The issue going forward is going to be OS support for the hardware. There are an increasing number of items where vendors are no longer supporting 'legacy' systems/hardware. Point in case would be the motherboards and older soundcards.

Associate
Would you be kind enough to post all relevant BIOS settings to help others?

Here's the bios settings I use for 4.4 Ghz with all 6 memory slots in use..

1iwjk2.jpg

2bgksc.jpg

3cqk11.jpg

4cfkjo.jpg

5iakau.jpg

Stu

Stu

Soldato
@keenan Thanks for the screen shots.

I've also been looking at the Ryzen platform and thinking it would be a good next step, but as others have said, I still don't feel I've hit the limit of my current system. The x58 pairs nicely with my GTX 1070 and my current monitor at 2048 x 1152 resolution, a cheap PCI card gives USB3 (though I haven't even bothered yet), and there is no perceivable speed difference between SATA2 and SATA3.

If I was going to Ryzen, it would probably be the 1700x, though I want to see reviews first, and I don't feel the need to jump in immediately before the mid-range Ryzen chips are available for consideration.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
suppose wouldn't mind getting the fastest/higher core count CPU before no longer availble upgrade from i7 950, but getting rare/expensive for the hex cores..

Which hex cores are you talking about? x58 Xeon chips are still going for £50-60, and there's normally always one for sale if you look in the right place.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I thought X5670 would be a better choice, not dropping down in speed per core, keeping it close to 3ghz and six cores

To simplify further, get a Xeon X56x0 processor... replace the small x with 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9, depending on how much money you want to spend. Personally, I wouldn't spend more that £60. (There is also the x5675 and x5679, but they don't often appear for sale).

Back
Top Bottom