• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

13700KF to 7800X3D

Soldato
Hold out until Q4 2024 to upgrade your CPU (and motherboard as well).

A 13700KF is more than sufficient for today's games.

Associate
Which is why I usually have a 2nd system on the go.

Currently a R7 5700G + B550 mobo + RTX 3060 Ti in a Phanteks P400a. Possibly sold this week to fund the 7800X3D + B650 mobo + Lian Li OD11 (bought). Which frees up the 12700K + Z790M ITX + NR200P MAX to possibly go towards an RTX 4090.

Then in 2025/26 this may become a Zen 6 AMD + Nvidia 5000 series GPU.
It's a tough life man,I feel your pain. Hopefully you get the £2,999.99 PC you deserve. Chin up pal,you can do it.

Last edited:
Associate
I love reading these threads on this forum.

OP looking for advice/justification regarding what can be best described as a "dubious upgrade" or "sidegrade".

Everyone confirms that it is a total waste of money.

OP goes ahead with it anyway and will be along in a few days to tell us the upgrade was "worth it" providing a mind blowing performance uplift.

Add in a splash of mental gymnastics about how the cost was offset by selling X,Y & Z so he was never out of pocket.

Voilà!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nice RAM there on the intel platform :p
Even slower ram on the AMD system, and as HUB showed neither benefits more from faster ram more than the other. However CB only seem to use the default min supported spec for both platforms, so AMD CPUs are stuck at 5200. :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
I love reading these threads on this forum.

OP looking for advice/justification regarding what can be best described as a "dubious upgrade" or "sidegrade".

Everyone confirms that it is a total waste of money.

OP goes ahead with it anyway and will be along in a few days to tell us the upgrade was "worth it" providing a mind blowing performance uplift.

Add in a splash of mental gymnastics about how the cost was offset by selling X,Y & Z so he was never our of pocket.

Voilà!

Doesn't really matter tho does it :)

I have just done something similar, full aware of what I was doing. Altho I did not need validation etc, sometimes impulsivity of doing the final click when playing the basket game gets too much to resist.

I bought a 14700k and sold my 12700k.

The 12700k ran at stock and so is this one.

The result, largely, being....

20231127075253-1.jpg

....I now have a few more E-cores, some increase in clock speeds, and a crap optimised game that is still, always was, GPU bound. 4k at its finest.

Life is Good, being part of the PC master race. :D

This post does NOT act as a free "spend what you want" card to any other fully fledged member of the elite club mentioned.

Man of Honour
It isn't just it is a side-grade, there is a lot of hype as to the 7800x3D's gaming performance at that price point, upgrade path potential and relatively good power/thermals obscuring that at the kind of resolutions and settings people will pair a GPU up with a CPU like this for the difference is relatively marginal and that for non-gaming stuff if that is important, which to a lot of people it is, it can be a significant downgrade:

TIw7FjL.png

BkX70LY.png

jvBu5O6.png

If you have to spend money at the moment, ignoring the upgrade path and power use considerations, personally I'd say the 14700K is the best balanced performance at a not entirely terrible price as it is right up against the chips which cost £150-200+ more in many cases aside from extreme multi-threaded workloads and at least mine you can easily tap in a 6GHz boost for gaming workloads which likely matches or beats anything else unless you get down to some proper overclocking.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hiya guys,

Simple question really, I've an itch and with the deals on currently I'm tempted to move to an AMD build, maybe it'll pair better with my 7900XTX ..(something I'm telling myself :p)

Currently spec
13700kf
Asus strix Gaming E Z790
32GB DDR5 Gskil 6800 C32
Sapphire Nitro x 7900xtx

Was hoping I could keep the Ram and see the cpu and mobo on MM.

I've had them both for about a month.

Am I mad, should I just wait for the new platforms?

To clarify, I'm having absolutely zero issues gaming with my current system.

Just tempted to try AMD on the cpu side again, it's been a while.

Cheers

Game at 1440p on a Rog Strix XG32VQ, case is pretty new, 011 Dynamic evo.

I was tempted by a 4k panel, or ultra wide, maybe I'll take another look there.

It not worth upgrade to 7800X3D for just around 4% performance on 1440p and 1% on 4K gaming.

If you want to be a fool to sell 13700KF CPU and ASUS Strix Gaming E Z790 motherboard at loss after a month then buy 7800X3D CPU and AMD motherboard and keep 32GB DDR5 GSkil 6800 C32 RAM. You will more likely to experience many issues like shuttering, lagging like Frame Chaser did. I think it because 7800X3D do not like Intel XMP RAM so you will need to sell it and get AMD EXPO RAM. It is absolutely waste of money to save around 50W CPU energy that cost £2 a month. :cry:

It will be very wise to upgrade to 14700K instead and use it as space heater to cut down your gas bill.

Soldato
Hiya guys,

Simple question really, I've an itch and with the deals on currently I'm tempted to move to an AMD build, maybe it'll pair better with my 7900XTX ..(something I'm telling myself :p)

Currently spec
13700kf
Asus strix Gaming E Z790
32GB DDR5 Gskil 6800 C32
Sapphire Nitro x 7900xtx

Was hoping I could keep the Ram and see the cpu and mobo on MM.

I've had them both for about a month.

Am I mad, should I just wait for the new platforms?

To clarify, I'm having absolutely zero issues gaming with my current system.

Just tempted to try AMD on the cpu side again, it's been a while.

Cheers

I highly recommend you upgrade as that system is really looking a bit dated now
You need a 14900k + Dark Hero motherboard & RTX 4090
That Ram should be ok for a few months unless you really need or want some faster ram

:D :cry: :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I highly recommend you upgrade as that system is really looking a bit dated now
You need a 14900k + Dark Hero motherboard & RTX 4090
That Ram should be ok for a few months unless you really need or want some faster ram

:D :cry: :D

Got to be Aorus Z790 Xtreme X surely...

Soldato
End of the day OP it's your money, if it makes you happy for 5m go for it. Logic doesn't always play a part in these things.

Also if you're not one of these people who pretend to do 3d modelling or batch processing photos I wouldn't worry about 'productivity' stats.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
End of the day OP it's your money, if it makes you happy for 5m go for it. Logic doesn't always play a part in these things.

Cheers Noxia, i've already ordered :p

I'm in no rush to build it, still figuring out which motherboard to use ( not the Aorus extreme lol)

Appreciate all the opinions guys thanks, wasn't about saving money on electricity, or saving in general, just fancy trying an AMD cpu.

Don't really do any productivity, I'll use video editing software for my racing footage, but I don't care if it renders 10 minutes slower.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers Noxia, 've already ordered :p

I'm in no rush to build it, still figuring out which motherboard to use ( not the Aorus extreme lol)

Appreciate all the opinions guys thanks, wasn't about saving money on electricity, or saving in general, just fancy trying an AMD cpu.

Don't really do any productivity, I'll use video editing software for my racing footage, but I don't care if it renders 10 minutes slower.

Nice. I was tempted myself but as I game at 4k and don't pretend to be a full-time video editor I've stuck with what I have now. I will upgrade to the next gen 3D though just because.

Soldato
Cheers Noxia, i've already ordered :p

A honorary member, worthy of the membership.
Enjoy your build, and accolade of being part of the elite master race PC club, it is far from lonely in here :D

Soldato
You might as well sell the 7800X3D and upgrade once the 8800X3D / whatever it's called comes out.

Now that you are going with an AM5 system.

Last edited:
Soldato
You might as well sell the 7800X3D and upgrade once the 8800X3D / whatever it's called comes out.

Now that you've you are going with an AM5 system.

Personally I would have upgraded when 8800X3D released that jump I imagine would be pretty big obviously the GPU would also would need to do it justice

Back
Top Bottom