14 years ago I may have been playing HL

Associate
There was bit of a perfect storm for me when this game came out. I was working part-time in EB then and got to loan this out (they used to have store loans for store performing well, or not badly) as it arrived in (just before release).

This was on a very new; Gateway Pentium 2 450Mhz, 10.2GB HDD, ATI 8MB card (can't remember specific model), 128MB Ram, LS-120 superdrive, 19" Monitor and a Diamond Orchard Voodoo2 12MB 3dfx card (bought from EB).

I remember waxing lyrical about the game to my then colleagues.

Note this computer went through a 3dfx 2000 and Geforce 2 MX that both handled TFC and DOD for years. Then August 2001 I finally upgraded to a Athlon 1800XP.

Awesome game and remember parts of it like it was yesterday. Still yet to play Black Mesa. And spent countless hours on the MP mods; TFC, CS b3.0, DoD (my fave with TFC), Action HL. Remember it was incredibly difficult tracking down Opp Force expansion on the release day, because no-one had it in. Bought it in a high-street electrical store of all places.

Soldato
14 year ago my best friend cried because his dad wouldn't let him play HL for his birthday because they didn't know it was a 15 and he was 14 at the time XD However they gave in and watching him play it was my true intoduction to PC gaming

Long live Chris and his teary eyes!

Associate
I don't think I got to play HL until around 2001 when I finally got a PC capable of playing it. I don't think I played it before that because I had a HP Vectra with a 233Mhz under-clocked to 150-160Mhz CPU because it kept locking up. It was probably from overheating due to a lack of a fan on the heatsink but at the time I couldn't figure it out. :p

I got the HL Generations version which included HL and expansions. I couldn't get enough of it and then my brother got Blue Shift so I had to fight over it to play it. I even tried to make a fan website in Frontpage but didn't get any further than making a splash page.

I kinda forgot about it after that and got into other games. Then I just happened to meet a HL fan at my current job who introduced me to HL2 which I wasn't even aware of. I got hooked to it and anticipated it's release.

Then some months after I heard about the Black Mesa mod. I had some knowledge of game modding by then thanks to a previous game, C&C Renegade. I applied thinking I probably wouldn't have a good chance of being accepted due to my inexperience but it was still very amateurish then and my model submission passed the lax test. I then put in 5 or so years of work and love to remake a game I loved and enjoyed so much. I hope that anyone who's played it enjoyed it and much as I did help making it.

Soldato
All these johnny-come-lately's enthusing about HL1. Young whippersnappers!

It was in interesting time, the transition from when a graphic card was an optional extra, to when it became a necessity. I first played HL1 via software and was still blown away by that opening train ride. I remember thinking it was a cut scene, then accidentally discovering I could move around within it. Amazing.

What's the score with black Mesa source? I've installed HL2 from steam again, do you get the mod through steam?

Not yet, go to the black mesa home page.

Favourite game on any platform. The modding community that sprung from it was insane.

They Hunger, USS Darkstar, Action Half-Life, Freeman's Revenge all amazed me. If anyone is interested to relive some past memories...

http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life/mods

I enjoyed They Hunger more than half life. What a fantastic series, a trilogy that was actually completed! *looks at Valve disapprovingly*

Soldato
Favourite game on any platform. The modding community that sprung from it was insane.

They Hunger, USS Darkstar, Action Half-Life, Freeman's Revenge all amazed me. If anyone is interested to relive some past memories...

http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life/mods

Ahh, yeah, the longevity of the SP element of that game from the range of mods was quite something.

Also, The Challenger Deep, Todesangst, Poke646, Heart of Evil, the Timeline series (another trilogy that was actually finished!), Gut Reaction...

And that's before even considering a certain mod called Counter-Strike.

I must have played HL and its various mods pretty solidly for two or three years. Best value from a game ever.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I enjoyed They Hunger more than half life. What a fantastic series, a trilogy that was actually completed! *looks at Valve disapprovingly*

They Hunger was amazing. Remember getting those with my PC Gamer mags :D

There was meant to be a new Source version way back when HL2 first came out, but it's never seen the light of day :(

http://www.blackwidowgames.com/

Was previewed a few times, and they had several interviews about it, and then all communication just stopped :(

Soldato
They Hunger was amazing. Remember getting those with my PC Gamer mags :D

There was meant to be a new Source version way back when HL2 first came out, but it's never seen the light of day :(

http://www.blackwidowgames.com/

Was previewed a few times, and they had several interviews about it, and then all communication just stopped :(

omfg

They Hunger!!! I forgot about that gem of a mod. Easily one of the best SP mods for HL. Great amount of fun.

It's shame the HL2 mod never took off properly. I have a feeling the success of Left4Dead may have had something to do with, maybe.

Soldato
Got annoyed with the software acceleration on my parents Tiny PC so I bought my own with a Naafi loan when I was still in the Navy! £800 got me a 15" CRT with a P2 400Mhz and 128MB of ram + a Voodoo 3 3000.

The PC arrived a week or two before xmas and it was awesome to see TFC in all its glory :D That was for the 12hrs or so before the gfx card died and I had to wait until after xmas to get it replaced >.> Damn you **** Computers!

TFC was a huge timesink! [BIA] was my clan when I was home on leave :D

Associate
14 years ago I was mainly playing Quake 2 online I think, especially instagib and King Of The Server (KOTS)! It was so competitive back then. Never really played regular HL DM, but played the heck out of CS, TFC etc :)

Associate
Well i first got into such gaming with wolf and doom. By the time it had all expanded i was playing delta force around when this came out and got into cs 1.6 then played the single player, back in 2004 hl2 was everything, i absolutely loved it. Atmospheric, wicked graphics and physics engine.. Just await the 3rd one now.. But I have a feeling its not gonna come.. Nostalgia..

Gee

Gee

Soldato
First time I played HL1 was on PS2 - it was one of the first games I got.

Remember seeing my first head crab come at me, safe to say I switched it off and went back to GTA 3 haha.

Back
Top Bottom