£1400 gaming PC

Associate
Hi guys. I'm looking for help with spec for a gaming machine. It's for my daughter and will be her first proper gaming PC. I will be helping her to build as she has no knowledge of self build (I have done a few non gaming builds but not for a while). The budget is £1400 max to include a decent monitor (the bigger the better).
The games she mostly plays are:
Elderscrolls, Evil within, Fallout 4, Through the woods and Hells blade sensua sacrifice.
It will be used 90% gaming, 10% streaming and general use.
She does not need keyboard, mouse or windows10.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you like playing on ULTRA wides (most people do - i'm the exception to the rule) - ideally you would pair that with an AMD card (Vega 56 would be great) but may cripple your £1400 max budget. Typical kids :)

I'll have a play with a build around that monitor (busy at the mo - but someone else may come along) - you can blame miners for your lack of AMD card choice for Freesync.

Soldato
as plec has mentioned Vega 56 and a Freesync 144hz monitor can be had cheaper then a Ti and shame pricing as the better GTX 1080 cards .

If you know your way around hardware, the Vega 56 and be flashed to a Vega 64 saving a lot of cash and with a slight overclock can near a GTX 1080 card .
also comes with two BIOS's so if it goes wrong, your covered :D

would pump up the ram to 3200 hz version

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...nnel-kit-black-red-tdprd416g32-my-075-tg.html

Soldato
Wow you're quick.
I admit that the spec/numbers don't mean much at all to me.
Thanks so far.
The Ryzen 1600 has 6 cores/12 threads and will clock to 3.7GHz with the surprisingly good Wraith cooler that's supplied with it (if you wanted to). It's the perfect gaming CPU - even with streaming in mind.

Ryzen operates better with fast memory 3000MHz being the sweetspot for price/performance - and 16GB is almost a must with modern games.

You would put the OS/apps and favourite games on the SSD - plus, a system of this quality would really miss one.

If you could stretch to the Vega 56 your daughter would love you for it paired with that monitor - it would plough through everything at that resolution at ULTRA and would obviously benefit from the Freesync.

Case i chose as it's a quality unit for the money - and kids like windows/RGB (even the adults :))

Any questions just fire away.

Associate
OP
OK, looks good so far (I'll stretch the budget a bit...)
I notice that the Vega 56 is Pre Order - Do they normally take long to get stock in?

Soldato
I notice that the Vega 56 is Pre Order - Do they normally take long to get stock in?
They had the PowerColors in stock very recently - i would post in The Customer Services Forum (Pre-Orders) and enquire about possible dates/stock.

Soldato
you might be able to summon the powerful @Gibbo to this thread as your a potential customer locked and loaded , to drop some ETA's

might save a bit of cash, less fancy but freesync and 144hz but not wide screen

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...quantum-dot-widescreen-monitor-mo-230-sa.html

few vega owners have this monitor and is drool worthy !

£260+ £390 = Cheapest Nvidia Ti without a basic £250 G-sync monitor haha , GTX 1080 is £500 plus £260 1080p 144hz G-snc monitor so hitting £800 there compared to £650

Associate
OP
I'd honestly drop the 1TB storage drive and the SSD and get this...

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-blue-250gb-m.2-ssd-1tb-hdd-bundle-bu-01n-wd.html

M.2 drive and 1TB storage drive for an extra £10 over the cost of the SSD and storage drive.

What advantage will this give?

you might be able to summon the powerful @Gibbo to this thread as your a potential customer locked and loaded , to drop some ETA's

might save a bit of cash, less fancy but freesync and 144hz but not wide screen

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...quantum-dot-widescreen-monitor-mo-230-sa.html

few vega owners have this monitor and is drool worthy !

£260+ £390 = Cheapest Nvidia Ti without a basic £250 G-sync monitor haha , GTX 1080 is £500 plus £260 1080p 144hz G-snc monitor so hitting £800 there compared to £650

Thanks. I'm slowly getting my head around everything.
I don't know of the powerful @Gibbo but if he's listening I'm going to buy all the components in the build from here so any help with ETA of the vega 56 would be good.
My running total is about £150 overbudget at the moment - any discount codes anywhere?? :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
What advantage will this give?

The m.2 drive is placed on the actual motherboard itself as opposed to using leads into a SATA slot on the motherboard. Speeds similar but you have less leads to use (power and sata leads)

Or else drop the storage drive completely and get an USB external storage drive later on if needed? That'll save you a few quid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
You could drop in an M.2. - if you did buying separates works out a fraction cheaper (and slightly more storage on the crucial - but nothing startling).

Although this option works out the similar as the original drives.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total £130.98 (original price of first SSD and drive £126.98) Not much in it...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Plec you are a star... I really appreciate all of the prompt attention I am receiving (that goes for you other guys too!)
I am weighing up all of the options so far so any more input gratefully received.

Soldato
Plec you are a star...
No worries - we do what we can for our daughters. Mines still into minecraft at the moment so not such a demanding PC :)

I am weighing up all of the options so far so any more input gratefully received.
If you're set on the ULTRA wide Freesync the Vega 56 would really compliment it - your main decision will be bound by when they're getting stock. If you can verify that you're build is virtually there.

Feel free to change motherboards (quality one), case etc.. but as long as the core components are Ryzen 1600/X coupled with 16Gb 3000+ memory you can't really go wrong (GFX card choice permitting obviously).

Quality PSU, storage and you're good to go.

See what response you get from Customer Services - if things don't look promising post back and we'll weigh up alternate card options.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I phoned customer services earlier. They said they had no date to hand unfortunately.
My Daughter went to insomnia and had a try on a wide screen and said it was awesome. She found this one with the discount and thought it was a no brainer.
I'm always open to options though so willing to look at others if the lead time on the vega is poor.

Soldato
My Daughter went to insomnia and had a try on a wide screen and said it was awesome. She found this one with the discount and thought it was a no brainer.
It is good value and makes sense if she likes the size - as mentioned most people love them (i really am the exception to the norm - but then i use 2/3 27" inch DELL Ultrasharps for work so biased :) - they're only 60Hz...)

I'm always open to options though so willing to look at others if the lead time on the vega is poor.
Unfortunately, the only alternative is the GTX 1070 in that price range. It couldn't use the Freesync but would make use of the high refresh rate - and still play very well at that res.

Some examples - personal preference would be the Gigabyte for the excellent aftercare service and UK RMA:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

EDIT: I should have asked - would a smaller form factor be better for her room - MICRO-ATX - as this would work out cheaper too.

Associate
OP
I don't know what real world difference not using the Freesync would mean. Maybe a rethink on the monitor might be an idea?
Form factor is not a problem though, plenty of room so whatever works around the budget.

Back
Top Bottom