£1400 gaming PC

Soldato
I don't know what real world difference not using the Freesync would mean. Maybe a rethink on the monitor might be an idea?
Freesync is great if you can utilise it - but it's not looking favourable at the moment unfortunately, with Vega shortages.

And Gysnc ultrawide monintors are way out of your budget (and most others) - but 144Hz monitors are still a good gaming option.

Soldato
Personally being an vidia man, would get the Vega, expect the 56 to be the hot seller out of the two amd cards, seems Ti is starting to ramp down on chop numbers to.

That pricing is too good with the free extra performance and monitors
Also most 3rd party cards won't have the dual bios, not if this can happen , will take money away

Associate
OP
Might have to have a rethink as Customer services said 'I'm afraid we do not currently have an ETA for this product, however we would expect at least a few weeks'...
As I see it, I either put the order in and wait until stock comes in or look at a different build (obviously without the UW monitor she wanted).
I will talk with her when she arrives home from college.

Associate
OP
OK, She has decided to be patient and go for this build. I will pull the trigger later today unless somebody comes back with an alternative.
Huge thanks to Plec for work so far and props to other posters for additional comments.
I will probably be seen in another section of the forum around build time :D

Soldato
Huge thanks to Plec for work so far and props to other posters for additional comments.
I will probably be seen in another section of the forum around build time :D
No worries

Which spec/components did you settle on?

Once you have the components post back on this thread - if I'm about I can help guide you through the troublesome parts if required.

The one primary rule with Ryzen builds is to flash the BIOS almost immediately. Once you've established post with a minimal setup - CPU, 1 stick, GFX, keyboard and established temps/stability seems OK, flash the BIOS.

Use the the Q Flash utility (if buying Gigabyte) - install the latest BIOS to a freshly formatted FAT 32 USB stick and update. This will ensure you have maximum memory compatibility - and should ensure you hit 3000MHz (2933MHz) using the XMP (presuming you're using the Team Group memory)

Associate
OP
Since this morning the budget increased a little as Grandad is helping out!!
The build is pretty much yours but with Grandads help (cash) she decided on the 3200MHz Ram and a 2TB storage drive.
The total cost atm is £1531.
I haven't bought yet (I'm at work so can't use their PC...). I'll post the components list when I get home.

Soldato
Have using both Gigabyte and Asus for most recent build, when installing everything, leave the bios to its default haha, i didnt even bother with flashing of the boards until i have everything installed. think others like to flash first and to be honest with Gigabyte and asus USB easy flashing method- no reason not to .

its hard not to wait for the vega 56, ok its a bit more then the 1070 and does perform slightly better- but once flashed to a 64 is great value! but its the monitor prices which steal you over . Reason why - bar miners- i think Polaris did well, so many good cheap freesync monitors out there :D

Soldato
she decided on the 3200MHz Ram and a 2TB storage drive..
Which memory for 3200? (as unless you get the right sticks the speed isn't guaranteed at the moment - although may hit with the next AGESA update.)

3200Mhz isn't vital, approx ~2% speed gain over 3000MHz. But if Good Ol' Grandad's chipping in and budget allows it's a nice luxury.

Below sets are guaranteed to hit 3200Mhz (AM4 approved) - and the GeiL have RGB which she may like. They have looser timings than the 8 Pack but you won't notice the difference in real world usage:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

[/INDENT]

Associate
OP
Which memory for 3200? (as unless you get the right sticks the speed isn't guaranteed at the moment - although may hit with the next AGESA update.)

3200Mhz isn't vital, approx ~2% speed gain over 3000MHz. But if Good Ol' Grandad's chipping in and budget allows it's a nice luxury.

Below sets are guaranteed to hit 3200Mhz (AM4 approved) - and the GeiL have RGB which she may like. They have looser timings than the 8 Pack but you won't notice the difference in real world usage:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

[/INDENT]
She only went for the 3200MHz as the original ones (300MHz) you mentioned were out of stock - they now have a delivery date of 29/09 so may go back to them and save Grandad a few quid.
Of the above 3200MHZ sets, the GeIL pair were preferred but also out of stock...

Soldato
She only went for the 3200MHz as the original ones (300MHz) you mentioned were out of stock - they now have a delivery date of 29/09 so may go back to them and save Grandad a few quid.
Of the above 3200MHZ sets, the GeIL pair were preferred but also out of stock...
Unfortunately, both sets are very popular - but they usually get Vulcans in stock very regularly. The GeiL is very hard to get hold of sometimes - I presume as it's good value for guaranteed 3200MHz b-die memory.

Soldato

8 pack in stock and he can lend a pointer or to for your selves as he knows his ram well

Associate
OP
as plec has mentioned Vega 56 and a Freesync 144hz monitor can be had cheaper then a Ti and shame pricing as the better GTX 1080 cards .

If you know your way around hardware, the Vega 56 and be flashed to a Vega 64 saving a lot of cash and with a slight overclock can near a GTX 1080 card .
also comes with two BIOS's so if it goes wrong, your covered :D

would pump up the ram to 3200 hz version

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...nnel-kit-black-red-tdprd416g32-my-075-tg.html

Would these work OK?

Soldato
says 2 In stock at the moment... I can't ring them as I have little clue what to ask :D
You want to ask if their present stock of 'Team GroupDark Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kits' are Samsung, b die single rank kits.

They may not be able to confirm unless they've tested the batch...

Associate
OP
You want to ask if their present stock of 'Team GroupDark Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kits' are Samsung, b die single rank kits.

They may not be able to confirm unless they've tested the batch...

Ah, I understand the current stock comment now...

Soldato
worth asking if they could do a deal for you on 8 Packs version.... might get £20 off, if not you've found some where else for the ram thats confirmed what PCB that ram kit is ;)

if you dont ask you dont get !
True - it's a large order they may well offer free P&P and a discount on the 8 Pack memory to match the GeiL price as it's not in stock. They can be quite generous at times, with discounts, when buying a lot of components.

Back
Top Bottom