1440p Gsync without blacklight bleed?

Soldato
I've just had my second Asus PG279Q delivered, as I sent the first one back for backlight bleed and this one is just as bad. Are there any 1440p gysnc monitors that don't suffer as badly from this?

Man of Honour
Pretty much luck of the draw in my experience with the main 1440p G-Sync panels - my second PG278Q had almost no backlight bleed, the other two were average to so-so. My Dell S2716DG isn't terrible but its not great either. Some of the others like Acer that I've seen have been shocking in most instances.

Associate
They all use the same panels. So the design is all you're choosing from.
But currently, only VA panels are able to do IPS/144-165hz/1440p AFAIK.
I could never go back to TN, colours and angles are so bad.

Man of Honour
It literally is luck of the draw - the only ones I've seen slightly higher rate of minimal backlight bleed are the Dells but then you are mostly looking at TNs then.

That thought had crossed my mind, as they all seem to be very similar. Do you have a source on that though?

Nearly all of them use the same au optronics panel internally.

Associate
That thought had crossed my mind, as they all seem to be very similar. Do you have a source on that though?
IIRC tftcentral covered all of those monitors. They open it up and show you the S/N of the panels.
But backlight bleed and glow is one of the downside that comes with IPS/VA, just try get lucky and settle for the one with the least possible

Man of Honour
TN is no different for backlight bleed, just doesn't have the same border glow issues that are more common on IPS to deal with.

Soldato
OP
IIRC tftcentral covered all of those monitors. They open it up and show you the S/N of the panels.
But backlight bleed and glow is one of the downside that comes with IPS/VA, just try get lucky and settle for the one with the least possible

I was using tftcentral to look for reviews, I really like that site. I checked their review listing, though, and the only 1440p IPS gsync they covered was the Asus PG279Q.

Soldato
OP
In reading some of the other reviews, it seems there's two variety of panels AU Optronics M270Q008 V0 and AU Optronics M270DAN0, although there appear to be multiple revisions of each of those. The ASUS has the first one. I guess I need to read up on both of those.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Congrats you have a TN that has decently low backlight bleed :p - you get the same variation in backlight bleed over most monitor technologies you get IPS panels that are very good and you get ones that are very bad and same for TN.

My replacement PG278Q TN had very little backlight bleed: http://i.imgur.com/YBPL5lV.png (as per when I originally posted it yes it is actually on and displaying a blank image and no the bias lighting isn't throwing the sensor out enough to mask the actual bleed). Sadly my current S2716DG isn't anything like as good as that one.

My IPS Dell:

p294Hq9.png

If you push the brightness up a bit you can see the IPS glow in the bottom left corner - its actually a bit worse than that IRL but I can't turn the ambient light down enough to properly portray it so its a little darker than it actually is there is a little blue bleed on the right as well but nothing major.

Soldato
OP
I have an Acer XF270HU IPS 1440p freesync here, it's been moved to the second PC with the fury. I never did a backlight bleed test on it when I bought it a year or so back. I did one last night to compare it to my Asus PG279Q. The Acer is perfect, I mean, cherry picked for reviewers perfect. There is zero backlight bleed with brightness on full and even the IPS glow is minimal in comparison. Thing is, I must have lucked out. Reviews of the recent Acer gsync IPS seem to suggest they suffer from backlight bleed as much as other monitors.

Associate
If your going 27 inch IPS,G-Sync, Get the Acer xb271hu or the ViewSonic XG2703-GS both have a better 1080p scaler in it compared to the Asus 27 inch ips variant, I bought a used ViewSonic XG2703-GS and it's great if you will ask me if there is BLB yes there is, It's not too bad though.

VA has issues with Ghosting,Silver BLB, Lower response times, Dark Crush, Pixel inversion.

TN has dull colours etc and not great viewing angles and the 27 inch TN's at 144hz all have pixel inversion, The 24 inch does not and it has better colours.

Back
Top Bottom