144hz... Why did I not upgrade sooner?

Soldato
Just chiming in to try and convince those using 60hz still. Don't.

I just upgraded from my old 1440p 60hz IPS panel to a 144hz IPS (Asus ROG PG279q). And what a world of difference, I gave my wife the old monitor to upgrade and the difference is night and day in games such as Overwatch.

What a glorious and huge upgrade. I strongly suggest it.

Useless thread is useless.

Associate
Same here, I'd likely have to sacrifice UWQHD to get 144 hz unless I was willing to spend the kind of money on it many people would put into buying a used car. I've never seen a game running over 60 hz and would go out of my way to make sure I don't, just in case :p Would hate to get that 'dissatisfied with my own lot' feeling after seeing 144 hz when I'm currently content at 60 hz.

Soldato
OP
Same here, I'd likely have to sacrifice UWQHD to get 144 hz unless I was willing to spend the kind of money on it many people would put into buying a used car. I've never seen a game running over 60 hz and would go out of my way to make sure I don't, just in case :p Would hate to get that 'dissatisfied with my own lot' feeling after seeing 144 hz when I'm currently content at 60 hz.

I was content for so long, but for FPS it's mind bogglingly game changing.

Associate
it's mind bogglingly game changing.
This.
I have tried to play on my PS4 today, a couple of times infact. I just can't :(
Lasted a few minutes and off it went each time.

In what way is it so great?
It really is one of those things you need to experience, I was absolutely content at 60hz for years, like we all were/are
The moment you play FPS at 120hz+ you simply can't go back it's just so smooth, it does make 60hz feel jittery even though you used it for years.

The only downside is you are chasing frames, not long after going 120hz ultrawide, I went 1080ti to power it.

Associate
I must admit I've used 60 Hz+ displays back in CRT days, which I've now just remembered. I don't think I was ever able to game at frame rates over 60 fps because the tech simply wasn't up to it, though I do recall noticing the mouse pointer on the Windows desktop at 60 Hz was not as smooth as at 75 hz or 85 hz. I found it distracting enough to make sure I always kept to resolutions that my monitor could support at 75 hz, preferably 85 hz, even though it meant sacrificing desktop estate. Though maybe CRT flickering/eye strain was also a factor back then.

Soldato
One of the better purchases for sure, although I now can't touch my ps4 as the experience is too jarring. Even stopped God of war as it just felt unplayable being used to over twice the fps with sync.

Caporegime
physically cant play on monitors under 120hz anymore feels broke. its like going from mech drive to ssd. especially for fps games and racing games.

Associate
While I'm able to transition between PC and console, it's certainly something that's harder since I got 144hz monitor.

Watching Red Dead vids recently the thing that struck me first was the framerate. Although, GTA V seemed to benefit more than most games from a decent framerate, so maybe RDR is similar.

Soldato
I remember when I bought this 1080p 144hz Benq XL2411T years ago. The first thing I noticed upon booting up Win7 was the cursor being so silky smooth. Then I did browsed the net and immediately noticed the smooth scrolling on webpages. This monitor is ancient compared to the stuff you guys are using and I'd probably be blown away at what panels look like today.

Soldato
I won't be going to 4K until I can afford at least a 120Hz screen with some form of adaptive sync. 1440p @144Hz is too good to give up on. Not sure I'd drop from 1440p to 1080p to squeeze out 240Hz though.

Associate
60hz = Eyestrain and headache for me.
atm I run 1440p and 144hz as 4K 120hz still is way to expensive to buy and run with decent fps without selling a kidney.

I just wonder how long it will take for 60hz monitors to stop being sold.

Soldato
It is damm smooth and noticeable when you switch back and forth. Also likely compounded by G-Sync which is another piece of tech I could not do without on my primary monitor. I still prefer 3440 x 1440 @ 100hz over 1440p @ 144hz, but can imagine it depends on the game.

With that said, some games can look amazing with 4k HDR @ 60hz, Assassins Creed Odyssey locked to 60FPS with settings cranked up on an massive TV with HDR is a much better experience then 144hz / 100hz on 27" / 34".

Now we need a 21:9 4k monitor with 144hz + G-Sync :D

Back
Top Bottom