159mph copper's aquittal overturned

Caporegime
Why on earth..... ;)

So fox, being as your such an expert on everything it seems, what are your experiences of driving at such a speed? I am sure you have because you seem to all the implications of doing so.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
If this was last week he did it, I'd agree. He'd have broken proceedure.

But it wasn't, and so he didn't - there were no guidelines at all for vehicle familiarisation bar 'take it out for a spin'.

none of this changes the fact that 70 or whatever it was in a 30 is in anyway neccessary and safe!!

Common sense dictates that in a built up area (I.E: 30mph zone) people may be around on foot. Thats why its 30.

How many times have i as a kid come carering out of an alleyway on my pushbike and out onto the road. Or someone walking out from behind a car/van.

Sorry, saying he's trained and would therefore "have looked and seen no one" is BS. People can appear from one of a hundred blind spots in a 30mph area. Regulations or no regulations, thats obvious.

Soldato
Pug said:
none of this changes the fact that 70 or whatever it was in a 30 is in anyway neccessary and safe!!

Common sense dictates that in a built up area (I.E: 30mph zone) people may be around on foot. Thats why its 30.

How many times have i as a kid come carering out of an alleyway on my pushbike and out onto the road. Or someone walking out from behind a car/van.

Sorry, saying he's trained and would therefore "have looked and seen no one" is BS. People can appear from one of a hundred blind spots in a 30mph area. Regulations or no regulations, thats obvious.

agreed, 159mph on the motorway when its empty is fine by me, but 70+ in a 30 was completly unacceptable.

Don
kitten_caboodle said:
This is actually from the Thames Valley Police Driver Policy.

"Advanced drivers are authorised to drive high performance police vehicles in an operational capacity. Drivers of marked police vehicles have a particular responsibility to promote Road Safety by setting an example at all times whether patrolling or responding to incidents. It should also be emphasised that drivers of all police vehicles must comply with all road traffic legislation unless there is a police purpose for claiming one of the exemptions under relevant legislation."

Seems quite clear to me.

Indeed that is very clear, yet totally wrong. Police purpose... testing out his vehcile. You see, this was taken from the Thames Valley Police Driver policy. Yet PC Mark Milton, is part of the West Mercia Constabulary. Two totally different forces.

<insert pointless analogy about 2 different jobs blah blah blah> behave.

Keep looking for supporting theorys, you are only trying to convince your self, but more importantly, you are trying to show Fox that you are right. Childish and totally immature.

Soldato
silly said:
Indeed that is very clear, yet totally wrong. Police purpose... testing out his vehcile. You see, this was taken from the Thames Valley Police Driver policy. Yet PC Mark Milton, is part of the West Mercia Constabulary. Two totally different forces.

<insert pointless analogy about 2 different jobs blah blah blah> behave.

Keep looking for supporting theorys, you are only trying to convince your self, but more importantly, you are trying to show Fox that you are right. Childish and totally immature.

Hmmmmm. Not interested in proving myself right. The law has already done that. Interested in Fox's comments as he, unlike you can have a sensible discussion without resulting to personal attack. One only has to look at your grammar/spelling before deciding who is childish and immature here. Do you have anything constructive to say?

oh..edited to add that I entered the TVP policy as Fox said ;But it wasn't, and so he didn't - there were no guidelines at all for vehicle familiarisation bar 'take it out for a spin'. He didn't specify a force, hence my reply. He was also the one who brought up the army. Not me.

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Completely irrelevent analogy becuase in this case, nobody was hurt, injured, bothered or affected in any way by his actions.

This is a pet hate of mine, the woman who hurt me, wrote my car off, wrote her car off got off with a slap on the wrist and a days driving course.

Someone speeds, not causing anyone any harm whatsoever, fine points, ban etc.

I'm in the camp of it's not wrong for a Policeman to do this if it's in the right place and right time, i.e. part of an exercise with other officers there to train, take note, observe etc.

Soldato
This debate could go on forever :D It does make damn fine reading though ;)

Why not end it by having a simple poll!

Does the police officer deserved to be punished? Yes or no.

Afterwards we can all have a group hug .... but no tongues ok :D

Man of Honour
Simon said:
So fox, being as your such an expert on everything it seems,

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Can't be bothered if thats the best you can manage.

OH MY GOD SOMEBODY DOESNT SHARE MY OPINION HE MUST THINK HE KNOWS EVERYTHING :rolleyes:

Soldato
Aliboy said:
This debate could go on forever :D It does make damn fine reading though ;)

Why not end it by having a simple poll!

Does the police officer deserved to be punished? Yes or no.

Afterwards we can all have a group hug .... but no tongues ok :D

Personally i think he's being made a scapegoat by the WEST MERCIA police force - (that's NOT THE THAMES VALLEY police force in case anyone didn't get that before and I'm not making myself clear)

/childish mode

Probably happens all the time, but he's the one that got caught. Corruption is rife in the police you know. :p

Am off to welcome Mr 'God' Fowler back to his spiritual home. Don't start the group hug without me :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
lol @ this thread now!

The guy was speeding when it wasn't warranted. End of discussion, he should face the same potential punishment as a normal member of the public, and if his job requires him to have a car (as is true of a lot of people) then it should be dealt with appropriately.

Can anyone even remember if it was a marked patrol car, I dont think it was, but not sure. Either way, next time I get caught speeding, i'll try the 'familiarising myself with my car' quote and see what happens.

:p

Soldato
OPEN QUESTION

open question to those that think this PC should be let off.

if a private citizen who has completed the police advanced driving course,or a higher level of training,were to be snapped at a similar speed...should he avoid conviction too? maybe a retired traffic officer doing 140MPH on the motorway...should this be allowed? after all,none of the people i've described were on police business and hypothetically speaking they're both trained to the same standard.

your opinions please.

Don
kitten_caboodle said:
Personally i think he's being made a scapegoat by the WEST MERCIA police force - (that's NOT THE THAMES VALLEY police force in case anyone didn't get that before and I'm not making myself clear)

/childish mode

Probably happens all the time, but he's the one that got caught. Corruption is rife in the police you know. :p

Am off to welcome Mr 'God' Fowler back to his spiritual home. Don't start the group hug without me :D

Your not being childish how ? By changing my name on the quote ? By insulting my and my (lack of) grammar ? How's that not a personal attack ? So it is infact you which needs to grow up.

If you check my posts previously on this thread, you will see that i have indeed been having a sensible debate on this,

Guidleines are what they say they are: Guidelines, they are NOT laws, and no where on what you posted was an indication of speed. If the guidelines are not clear we then have to use our own judgement and interpretation on how to use them.

Soldato
Oracle said:
, next time I get caught speeding, i'll try the 'familiarising myself with my car' quote and see what happens.
:p
lol
yeah and you will be using a bus to get around for the next year no doubt,
were the cops just seem get away with it.

off topic
things like this are just another nail in the coffin, public confidence in the police is going down, as they never seem to do anything anymore.
I'm very lucky if i ever see a copper on the beat were i live now, but when i was a kid you would see one every day.
in the paper yesterday, a farmer got robbed of 3 grand and the coppers wouldn't even come out to his farm, but as soon as he said on a radio station that he would now think about defending himself, they were straight round and took his shotguns off him just in case.
this country's policing is messed up.
were i live isn't a village out in the middle of no ware yet the local police station closes at 10pm and they have to come from a town 27miles away down the M1, so you may as well say at night there isn't any law .

the police need to be seen to be doing there job and abiding by the same laws as we have too

Man of Honour
The_Dark_Side said:
open question to those that think this PC should be let off.

if a private citizen who has completed the police advanced driving course,or a higher level of training,were to be snapped at a similar speed...should he avoid conviction too? maybe a retired traffic officer doing 140MPH on the motorway...should this be allowed? after all,none of the people i've described were on police business and hypothetically speaking they're both trained to the same standard.

your opinions please.
Thankyou for posting that.

I've been trying to decide how to put my opinion into words without contradicting myself or confusing folk, but you've done it for me in the form of a question.

My answer to the question? No - they should not avoid conviction, and neither should the officer.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
This is exactly how I feel. This forum is full of performance car enthusiasts who enjoy driving fast. IMHO the 'omg its dangerous' stuff is a load of BS and the real reason is 'I'd have been nicked if it was me, thats so unfair'.

Exactly, its one rule for them and another rule for us. The guy went out to rag his car just like everyone else might do but the law doesnt apply to them in the same way. The law is the law and your job should not change that if you're not on duty and what makes it worse is the damn hipocrite will probaly nick someone the next day doing 80mph.

What next, coppers can legally beat people because they need to train to protect themselves, or how about taking pot shots at tube passengers because they need the target practice. ;)

Soldato
Fox - please note that generally the guys here that want this copper punished are the more experienced amongst us, familiar with high speed.

Opinion based on experience > opinion.

:)

Permabanned
Lopéz said:
Thankyou for posting that.

I've been trying to decide how to put my opinion into words without contradicting myself or confusing folk, but you've done it for me in the form of a question.

My answer to the question? No - they should not avoid conviction, and neither should the officer.

Amen,

Man of Honour
merlin said:
Fox - please note that generally the guys here that want this copper punished are the more experienced amongst us, familiar with high speed.

And so perhaps, due to their experience, more frustrated at the fact they too want to do high speed but cannot ;)

Whereas I'm not fussed about being able to do 150mph so can view it impartially ;)

Back
Top Bottom