1996 Volvo 850 T5

Hi there,

This thread has just cost me several hundred pounds!

I had a 850 T5 once... Anyway this thread reminded me how much I miss it! So I've tracked down the new owner and brought it back off them! Aha

HuGwM.jpg

Kind Regards

Alec

That looks like a really nice example: what mileage is on it? Your wheels are in better condition than mine which really helps, but if I could justify it I'd be getting the T5R wheels like the ones below, think they look fantastic.....
4168950468_ed90b4c90c_o.jpg

so u want 6 pot brakes on the front running between 330mm-345mm and leave the back standard?

like i said the bios would be horrible

standard fwd cars (according to google) use a 70%-30% braking bios, i wouldnt say 30% is "hardly worth doing". if your going to muck around with something as important as brakes, do it right!.

Most cars are over-braked at the rear as standard. The bias (not sure what BIOS has to do with cars :p) won't be horrible. I've driven plenty of cars with uprated front brakes and standard rears and I'm yet to discover one that has horrible bias (or BIOS)

Surrey rolling road has a great reputation and should be local. Doing a special linked from pistonheads front page too. Used them several times and charlie knows his stuff? Nice car and great sleeper!

Ha. Well played alllec. How much did you buy it back for? When or if you get bored of it, give me a shout - might take it off your hands. :p

Hi there,

500 of her majesty's finest pounds! :eek: On the upside I sold her for much more than that. And while she's been gone she's had cambelt, turbo rebuild and a few *** bits that needed doing. Result :p

Kind Regards

Alec

so u want 6 pot brakes on the front running between 330mm-345mm and leave the back standard?

standard fwd cars (according to google) use a 70%-30% braking bios, i wouldnt say 30% is "hardly worth doing". if your going to muck around with something as important as brakes, do it right!.
depends on the weight at the rear axle during braking, besides fitting 6 pots with out increasing the line pressure is a bit like fitting big discs with standred calipers

It shoes how little you understand braking systems. Brake bias is set at 70-30 for initial braking, if you are braking hard that bias will change to 95-5% due to the weight transfer to the front axle (the braking system reduces the bias to the rear to stop the rear locking up, even with ABS).

Brake bias is set to 70-30 as it slows you more effectively under normal conditions, but when braking hard (when you notice the benefit of better brakes) so much weight comes off the back wheels you can almost ignore the brakes.

Having too much rear bias would lock the rears or kick the ABS in, increasing stopping distance.

Upgrading rear brakes alone is pointless but fronts is a non-issue.

As for changing master cylinders, it only boils down to the ratio between master/slave if you go from 1:5 (say) to 1:10 of much larger slave cylinder area then you will likely have excessive pedal travel and will want to upgrade the master cylinder to a larger bore.

Fitting larger discs with standard calipers would require some way to move the calipers out and even with standard line pressure is effective because you are moving the centre of pressure further out from the fulcrum creating greater leverage on the wheel.

Lopez speaks the truth and I also have driven cars with heavily upgraded front brakes (even my kit car had 4 pots on the front and stock sierra brakes at the rear) and it is a non-issue.

Back
Top Bottom