£1m to prove an afterlife.

Associate
Robbie G, those were just my thoughts

I obviously have no proof, or evidence to back it up (kinda like how religion has no HARD evidence)

Talk for myself?

are you saying some people on this planet are "enlightened" as to the grand scheme of things and the meaning of life? (ok, its not impossible either), but i'd bet my own life that nobody here had a clue :)

you calling me an idiot, for saying that people who DENY there's an afterlife (with no proof there isn't one) are idiots, is idiotic,

anyway, most people on this forum aren't going to deny 100% that there's an afterlife, cause they're not idiots, like you

Suspended
Robbie G said:
Everything you see hear and feel is a result of physical chemical reactions. We are organic and will rot to dust when we die, nothing more. Deal with it.

Why dont you stop with the attitude pal!!

So far in this thread youve gobbed off a lot, insulted one of the posters and are generally coming across as a bit of an arse!

I never mentioned my stand point on the subject, Tomwalker stated that 'we wouldve proven it already', which indicates that he thinks that we currently have the science to prove/disprove an afterlife. I am simply stating that as science moves forwards we will keep discovering new things and no one, not even yourself knows for 100% whether there is or is not an afterlife. As someone who seems to use science in his arguements surely you can agree with this!

You are as bad as those people that believe outright that there is an afterlife, your both close minded.

Caporegime
I only have one question - what makes you think the afterlife exists? If you trace it deeply enough you will arrive at the following:

- people are scared of the thought of living life, then being ended
- historically religion and the after-life were ways of making people behave
- there is no rational reason for believing in an after-life

Digest that if you can, odd kid.

Permabanned
ArmyofHarmony said:
we don't even have the science to leave our solarsystem, wtf we meant to prove the afterlife?

Actually we do, it's just that we wont due to the, pardon the pun, astronomical costs of such a manned mission.

Caporegime
MNuTz said:
Why dont you stop with the attitude pal!!

So far in this thread youve gobbed off a lot, insulted one of the posters and are generally coming across as a bit of an arse!

I never mentioned my stand point on the subject, Tomwalker stated that 'we wouldve proven it already', which indicates that he thinks that we currently have the science to prove/disprove an afterlife. I am simply stating that as science moves forwards we will keep discovering new things and no one, not even yourself knows for 100% whether there is or is not an afterlife. As someone who seems to use science in his arguements surely you can agree with this!

You are as bad as those people that believe outright that there is an afterlife, your both close minded.

Ok ok don't cry! P.S. I'm not your pal.

Soldato
Dreadi said:
but if it didn't exist then why can't that be proven, that there 100 isn't an afterlife?

May have to make a web page offering a million for it....

It's a lot harder to disprove something than it is to prove it.

For example to prove the loch ness monster existed you would need a video that can be tested and proven to be real. To disprove it you would probably have to drain the entire lake.

Soldato
Raikiri said:
It's a lot harder to disprove something than it is to prove it.

For example to prove the loch ness monster existed you would need a video that can be tested and proven to be real. To disprove it you would probably have to drain the entire lake.

still tho, you can see where i'm coming from.

you can rant on all you like but unless you prove its for real or prove its fake you can argue till the sun goes down.

This whole topic boils down to personal beliefs, ideals and religion.

Suspended
Robbie G said:
Impossible. And there's a reason it's impossible - there's no such thing!

Last night I watched a C4 documentary about some religious nutters in America that go around calling everyone "fags" even if they're referring to the army for example. They picket military funerals and stuff, and generally hate "anti-god stuff such" as abortions, contraception and sex out of wedlock. One of the women with the biggest mouth was confronted late in the piece about whether or not her own son was legitimate, and it turns out the stupid bint had a son out of marriage but was going around harassing people that were in the same situation as her.

I officially can't stand religion and anything hocus-pocus that goes against science :(

Isnt this the "most hated family in america" religious nut jobs?

If so, i saw one of the series, standing there picketing and someone drove past and threw his milkshake at them and hit one of the kids.

I got quite angry when i saw them picketing a soldiers funeral, i really dont see how they can go from the bible saying "forgive..love...etc" to just generally being so nasty and unrespectful.

Soldato
No chance. The current evidence for an afterlife is anecdotal at the moment, but I see that is better than having no evidence. This is a good read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pam_Reynolds'_NDE

Things happened in the case that cannot be answered by science. Even the skeptics over at the randi.org forum can't dismiss it because theres just too much there that cannot be accounted for.

Not that that case is proof, I think as proof of the afterlife its subjective, but I think its devastating for the case of conciouness just residing in the brain. There's a whole wealth of anecdotal evidence for the the Near Death Experience alluding to the idea that counciouness isn't just in the brain (google the van lomel study) and I think that some of the accounts on NDE point towards their being an afterlife.

I don't think it's something that can be proven though. Espeically through the scienfitic method because it's not exactly something that can be tested.

The guy in the OP stands to lose his money because no definative proof will be found, but I wouldn't rule out no afterlife soley on the basis of that. I just think he'll lose.

Associate
Even a religious person shouldn't claim that 100% jesus worked miracles, because it's impossible to prove... but it's their faith so they 100% think it's true (althuogh my mum, who is a strong catholic, probably wouldn't).

Calling me an odd kid, for having the better argument, lol...

You're saying that someone who believes both outcomes are possible (since neither has been proven wrong) is more incorrect than someone who believes that 100% one outcome is true (with no evidence denying the other outcome) is "odd"

There's no definate explaination for the creation of our universe (it's all theories, waiting to be disproven)... do you have some definate answer for that?

There's nothing saying that a god didn't start the big bang (if that's actually what happened)... and if there was a god, there's no reason there can't be an afterlife. Im basing all my arguments on logical reasoning

Last edited:
Associate
See, now heres my wacky theory. The universe is infinite, or thereabouts, and we can only look inwards (microscopic) a fairly limited distance. So here we go:

We are actually a cancer. Yeah, like that bloke from The Matrix said. The earth is one tiny molecule and we're organisms that are slowly destroying it and looking to expand outwards to other planets (i.e. infect other molecules). The Sun is the nucleus of our atom, other distant solar systems we can see are other atoms. If we were to escape our universe we would find we were living inside a massive person who looks just like us. Who is on a planet that holds billions of others of the same race. Which inhabits a massive universe with their light source being the nearest Sun.

Now go the other way and look way inside ourselves to the tiniest little atom and whats inside or on top of that atom..

Whee, my head hurts!

But Afterlife? I'd like to think so, but nobody knows for sure. I think we'd all like to live on after death in some form or another.

Associate
Doctors and Scientists trying to prove the existence of an afterlife. Sounds allot like the film Flat Liners to me where a bunch of medical students kill and revive them themselves to experience 'life after death'.

Back
Top Bottom