***1st March Internationals spoilers***

Soldato
JohnnyG said:
You really are a full of **** mate:)

JohnnyG said:
As for not bringing Lampard in to it, don't be a ****:)

Sorry, I couldn't really care less, but they are more personal attacks than anything this Baz chappy said... Just thought that as someone who couldn't care less as to who's right or wrong, I would say that...

Anyhoo, back to whats important... That was a pretty impressive performance from England at times tonight. Joe Cole proved why he is in the side with some great touches. A win was deserved. Loved the Uruguay goal though. Everyone in the pub was impressed with it. Not often you see goals like that live :)

I would choose Gerrard ahead of King in the holding role any day. He can play that role perfectly well so long as he is told to. If its decided that he and Lampard take it in turns to hold and bomb forward then it just leads to confusion. Thats the impression I have got from watching games previously.

All in all, well done England :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
^ Totally agree with your first point. Man of that match was BaZ87 :p
Maybe the Man of Honor and a reasonable post cont do count for something after all ;)

But seriousy...
I thought there were few good performances, Cole of course, running around like a loon tirelessly for the 90 minutes and thoroughly deserving his goal. Rooney, Neville, Carrick and Terry all looked good, even Crouch to a point.
The only person for me that didn't seem to pull his weight was Ferdinand. Sloppy passing, giving the ball away a few times because he'd seemingly lost concentration and just not up for it in general.

Agree on your third point as well. Gerrard would be much better than King in that role. I'd also want him in the side in either role to be honest if we're up against tougher opposition. He's much more up for the challenge than anyone else I can think of.

Soldato
Ok game, played ok and good result.

Most of the players had a fair game, except maybe Rio but I sometimes think he just fannies about in the friendly games because they don't mean that much.

Shame about Wayne Bridge but I’m not sure why Robinson had to come screaming out when Bridge was between the ball and defender. Just miscommunication though I guess.

The game seemed to improve when most of the changes happened. As other people have said there was a bit more width with SWP on instead of Becks, seemed to stretch Uruguay a bit more.

Soldato
Gilly said:
Oh he can definitely do it, and I'd prefer to see him there over anyone, but he has to be told to do it. He and Lamps as box-to-box doesn't work. He has to be told to hang back.

I don't think he can do it that well and his ability as a holding player pales in comparison to his ability as a world class box to box player. He can tackle as we all know but he just loves going for that Beckham long ball to much when he has to hold back.

I also think he wanders and loses concentration when not allowed to bomb forward. Carrick, though not as gifted going forward and he doesn't have Gerrards engine (who does?) has that discipline ingrained in him. The holding role is his strength and main game. He loves to sit back and protect the back four, pick his tackles, harrass and the boy can ping the ball to feet all over the pitch but he can hit the simple pass too...

Carrick is the perfect partner to either Gerrard or Lampard and you'd get more from either player if they play with Carrick than each other... look at Lampard with Makalelee at Chelsea...

all imho of couse :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thought it was funny when Beckham got made to look like a school boy when he went in for the late tackle (that lead to the yellow card) and got nutmegged, probably the highlight of the night. :o

Permabanned
Chong Warrior said:
I don't think he can do it that well and his ability as a holding player pales in comparison to his ability as a world class box to box player. He can tackle as we all know but he just loves going for that Beckham long ball to much when he has to hold back.

I also think he wanders and loses concentration when not allowed to bomb forward. Carrick, though not as gifted going forward and he doesn't have Gerrards engine (who does?) has that discipline ingrained in him. The holding role is his strength and main game. He loves to sit back and protect the back four, pick his tackles, harrass and the boy can ping the ball to feet all over the pitch but he can hit the simple pass too...

Carrick is the perfect partner to either Gerrard or Lampard and you'd get more from either player if they play with Carrick than each other... look at Lampard with Makalelee at Chelsea...

I agree.

Also those who mentioned about King's display against the Argies, he was basically being played as a 3rd centreback that game. A player of Riquelmes
pedigree requires a truley defensive holding player, King fitted the bill in that scenario. If Gerrard had been put there I think England would have lost that game.

However for a dynamic midfield Carrick fits the bill, he's good defensively with a great work rate and his passing ability makes him ideal to spray passes all over the pitch. No one will argue that Gerrard is better at going forward that Carrick, that would be lunacy. But to get the most out of a Gerrard/Lampard type player I believe you need a solid performer behind them that they can rely on if they lose possesion. In my opinion Carrick is the best Englishman to fullfil that role, with Parker a close second (lacks Carricks passing ability).

Just my 2p :)

Soldato
Chong Warrior said:

Sums my thoughts up entirely. Good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom