2.0 Desktop Speakers

Associate
Morning All, after some advice. Just got myself a new monitor and whilst my old one had built in speakers the new one does not. Either way I'm in need of 2.0 speakers predominately used for gaming and odd occasional Spotify and Youtube videos.

Ideally my budget is £100 and my eyes have been on the Razer Nommo but before I commit I'm after second opinions or recommendations?

Soldato
While those Nommo's will be better than a monitor's built in speakers, then aren't the best use of £100.

I'd much go for Edifier R1280T or R1600T III. Larger speakers, but they offer great sound.

Those Nommo's don't have tweeters. Probably OK for gaming use; personally though, but I wouldn't want to use them for music.

I guess speakers like the Nommo's appeal to people because they are compact. When it comes to speakers, compact doesn't offer the best sound compared to larger speakers unless you throw more money at well engineered compact speakers.

Associate
OP
While those Nommo's will be better than a monitor's built in speakers, then aren't the best use of £100.

I'd much go for Edifier R1280T or R1600T III. Larger speakers, but they offer great sound.

Those Nommo's don't have tweeters. Probably OK for gaming use; personally though, but I wouldn't want to use them for music.

I guess speakers like the Nommo's appeal to people because they are compact. When it comes to speakers, compact doesn't offer the best sound compared to larger speakers unless you throw more money at well engineered compact speakers.

Nommos look good but it's more sound output that's important to me, want to get something that I won't have any regrets over. Personally the R1280T from your recommendations are likely to be my purchase.

Thanks for the advice.

Soldato
Hey Im loving the Edifier R1280DB Speakers and I cant recommend them enough. I have had them for about a year now and they sound pretty decent with plenty of bass and all the input connections you could ever need, phono, bluetooth, optical and digital coaxal connections.

I have just ordered the cheaper Edifier R1280T Speakers to use on my tv, they are the same speakers as the R1280DB but they only have the analog phono connections.

This review necessarily involves a comparison of three of Edifier's models (R1280DB, R1850DB and the S1000DB) so I have placed the review in each model's Amazon page.

I hope you like reading – this review is a bit long, but I'm so impressed by the Edifier brand (and Amazon!) that I wanted to do it justice. I hope you will find it useful.

I'm not an industry professional, just someone who is passionate about hi-fi. I'm also a physicist and so I'm fairly technical but I certainly don't claim to be any kind of expert so what you are getting here is simply a layman's opinion - although I'm fussy in the extreme about my music and home cinema!

Part 1: The bedroom - Once upon a time…

I got fed up being awoken by what sounded like a nuclear attack alarm from my phone every morning – I was certainly awake but I wanted to be gently brought into consciousness – not start the day with my heart pounding, thinking that I might cardiac arrest at any second!

So, I bought a top of the range radio alarm at £170. It had three speakers, one of which claimed to be a "subwoofer". I wasn't overly impressed. I like my hi-fi and music, and mistakenly thought this might come close to a hi-fi sound – it did not.

I had an Ocean Digital internet radio (no built-in speaker) lying around and discovered that it had dual alarms built in. I had the idea of being awoken by true hi fi sound in the morning – a bit indulgent, I know, but life is short so why not?

I didn't really want an amplifier, cables and large speakers cluttering up the bedroom, so I thought of active speakers. I had never really considered them before as I thought they produced lower quality sound than passive speakers driven by a separate amplifier. I spent the best part of a day looking at reviews (from articles all over the world) and finally decided to give the Edifier R1280DB active speakers a try, even though I had never even heard of the company before. Given Amazon's outstanding customer service, I knew that I could return them with no fuss if they weren't up to standard.

I bought the wooden finish type and was immediately impressed. They looked good in the bedroom and the sound was excellent, especially considering the price and the size of the speaker (small). My view is that this setup would be very difficult to beat by any of the (even high-end) one piece music systems available. OK, it's a bit indulgent for what is essentially an alarm clock (£120 for the speakers and around £40 for an internet radio) but the sound was superb. It kicked the radio alarm which I had purchased initially completely out of the park!!!

Part 2: The kitchen

Having been so impressed by the R1280DB, I talked myself into getting some speakers to sit beside the TV / satellite in the kitchen. I thought I'd go a bit further up the Edifier range and settled on the R1850DB at £160.

This is where things got a bit more serious – this speaker delivers a true hi-fi quality sound, in my opinion. Obviously, we need to remember two things, namely the price and the size, so it's not going to match a £1,000 set of speakers and separate amplifier – but it's not far off that kind of quality, at least at moderate volumes. My main system is around that price, so I'm judging it against that.

I think Edifier may be victims of their own excellent products here; at a price increase of only £40 (£160 versus £120), in my view there is a substantial jump in sound quality over the R1280DB, so much so that if you can stretch to it, the R1850DB is definitely the one to go for. Considering that you will hopefully be listening to these speakers for years to come, that additional £40 becomes even less significant.

Part 3: Back to the bedroom…

Having been totally blown away by the sound quality of the R1850DB speakers, how easy they were to set up and how tidy and unobtrusive they were, I returned the R1280DB speakers and moved the R1850DBs into the bedroom – I now actually look forward to the "alarm clock" going off in the morning – that's a first! Incidentally, if you are using these as an alarm clock, they need to be left on. I measured their power consumption when there is no input and it is just under 6 watts. By my calculation that is approximately one kWh per week (6 watts x 168 hours) so, if you leave them on 24/7, that should equate to less than 20p per week in additional electricity. Or you could, of course, just turn them on at night and off again in the morning. I have also linked them to a blu-ray player and the TV in the bedroom – they have transformed everything sound-wise! The additional digital connectors are a huge advantage here – see the note further on.

Part 4: Back to the kitchen…

For those of you who haven't gotten tired of me babbling on, you may have worked out that the kitchen is now missing a set of speakers…

I was so impressed by Edifier's R1850DB that I started to look even further up the range. After ANOTHER day looking at reviews, the Edifier S1000DB model appeared to be receiving huge praise from every reviewer. However, at £280 (for Amazon Prime members, otherwise £300) these are not exactly budget speakers, so it took a few days before I talked myself into taking the plunge.

Bottom line, I am hugely impressed with the S1000DB! Again, it is a step up from the R1850DB. However, it doesn't make the R1850DB sound bad in any way by comparison – I can wholeheartedly recommend both of these models. The S1000DB is a gorgeous speaker in terms of its looks, real wood (I believe) finish, and top-notch sound quality. Crystal clear treble, massive and controlled bass, this active speaker is on a par with a much more expensive setup of separate amp and speakers – and much tidier and unobtrusive for smaller spaces. I have it plugged into the TV and a satellite receiver in the kitchen where I can also listen to satellite radio, which is amazing quality sound.

My opinion is that the R1850DB is the optimum price / performance compromise here, but you would not go wrong with whichever of this trio you went for.

A brief summary of 'for' and 'against' each model would be:

Model FOR AGAINST
R1280DB Compact, looks, price Sound is good, but not hi-fi.
R1850DB Optimum price / performance Maybe a bit plain looking
S1000DB Top quality sound, bass, looks Nothing if you have £280

Additionally, with the exception of the S1000DB, the remotes are a bit on the cheap side. Edifier would do well to address this point as it would enhance the perceived quality of the system – after all, it is the only bit of the system that we regularly touch, and that tactile interface is important – to me, at least. I don't know if a universal remote could work here – comments are welcome.

A few final thoughts:

1. Edifier make models with and without digital inputs. The …DB at the end of the model name stands for Digital plus Bluetooth. My recommendation is definitely to go for these additional digital inputs. They add slightly to the cost, but they massively increase the flexibility of the speakers. I have used all of the digital and analogue inputs and they all work flawlessly.

2. I briefly considered the S2000DB, which again won massive praise from all reviewers. Unfortunately, the price difference in the UK between those and the S1000DB was just too much for me. I would dearly love to hear the S2000DB and I will be watching the price carefully, just in case I need speakers for the bathroom…! Watch this space!!!

3. A final mention to Amazon. There were a few very minor snags during this buying spree but Amazon customer service, as always, fixed the problems instantly and without question. Thank you, Amazon! Being able to purchase equipment, which isn't exactly cheap, with total confidence in the seller is a huge plus point for the consumer.

Thanks for "listening"… and good luck if you decide to purchase. I am certain you would not be disappointed with any of these models.

Last edited:
Soldato
I received the cheaper version of the R1280DB speakers, the ones with the fewer connections and they sound more or less the same as the more exspensive ones... They use 4watts and the others use 3watts, so Im thinking 4watts wont break the bank if I have these on 24/7. I have them plugged into the headphone socket on the tv, so I can still alter the volume using the sky remote and I have covered up the power led as I cant stand lights at night when Im sleeping.

Heres a pic of the speakers under my tv, I had to 3d print out some stands and fix them to the tv stand, as I have no room at all at the sides of the stand.
k0lfk2.jpg

This is a pic of the more expensive speakers ( R1280DB) that I have setup on my computer, with the front grills off.

5a3top.jpg

cc6ceab5f5add98400efc35f061bd0f3-full.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
You wont get them new for £100, as I looked into those before buying the Edifier speakers. I prefer new speakers if possible because you dont know how hard 2nd hand speakers has been driven, especially subwoofers, as people like to thrash the nuts off them.

Associate
I received the cheaper version of the R1280DB speakers, the ones with the fewer connections and they sound more or less the same as the more exspensive ones... They use 4watts and the others use 3watts, so Im thinking 4watts wont break the bank if I have these on 24/7. I have them plugged into the headphone socket on the tv, so I can still alter the volume using the sky remote and I have covered up the power led as I cant stand lights at night when Im sleeping.

Heres a pic of the speakers under my tv, I had to 3d print out some stands and fix them to the tv stand, as I have no room at all at the sides of the stand.
k0lfk2.jpg

This is a pic of the more expensive speakers ( R1280DB) that I have setup on my computer, with the front grills off.

5a3top.jpg

cc6ceab5f5add98400efc35f061bd0f3-full.jpg
Why on earth would you position speakers there?
Surely 1 either side of the monitor???????
That has to be the maddest and most unorganized setup i have seen in a long while.

Last edited:
Soldato
I assume he is sat where the keyboard and mouse is, so the speakers will be either side of him. Which is what you want; either side of the listener. Where the monitor makes no difference to the sound, even if it does look somewhat unconventional.

From a sound perspective, I've seem people do a lot worse; like put the speakers behind the monitor; or one speaker at ear height the other high on a stand of some sort. :/

Soldato
I assume he is sat where the keyboard and mouse is, so the speakers will be either side of him. Which is what you want; either side of the listener. Where the monitor makes no difference to the sound, even if it does look somewhat unconventional.

Yes thats the reason, but I might put shelfs up and have them above the board pointing downwards, then it makes more desktop space and I can have them further apart. But the sound is pretty decent where they are now.

Also guys dont buy a light coloured mouse because they dont stay clean, and if the mouse has a rubberized surface, they dont come clean either:mad:

Soldato
Edifier are adequate - they produce sound and there is bass. But beyond that they are pretty bad in the scheme of things, just overpriced crap really.

I would sooner have a T-amp or a pair of 2nd hand studio monitor/bookshelf speakers.

Im guessing that the Edifier speakers are better then my denon SC-M50 speakers that I bought about 20 odd years ago for roughly the same price. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-SCM50-Loudspeakers/dp/B0000C77VC

Didn't you have some denon SC-M50 speakers Easyrider?

Soldato
I have those denons as spares...and tbh I wouldn't be replacing them for edifiers...lol

The Edifier's do have much more bass then the Denon's and doesn't require a separate amp to drive them.

I used to have my tv connected up to my monitor audio silver speakers, BK XLS200 10" sub and a yamaha amp, but since moving my room around I can no longer fit my audio setup by my tv.... But I am kind of glad because watching films through it was a nightmare, as the vocals were so quiet and the effects blew your head off. So having these smaller Edifier speakers has sorted out 90% of the volume prob, as the effects still over powers the vocals a bit, but nowhere near as bad.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whatever speakers you choose they should be on stands raised around ear level, and isolated with music foam. Could be a £1000 or £100 speaker, can't stress how important this is. If you leave speakers just sitting on a desk they will never sound correct.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whatever speakers you choose they should be on stands raised around ear level, and isolated with music foam. Could be a £1000 or £100 speaker, can't stress how important this is. If you leave speakers just sitting on a desk they will never sound correct.

Thats if your real fussy and want the sound as best that it can be, but with tv speakers you just want to get rid of the tinny sound from the built in tv speakers. Speakers for my pc Im not overly fussed with, as long they are half decent that takes away the tinny sound of cheap pc speakers.

I have kind of got fed up with huge amps, big speakers systems now, as they take up loads of space and the smaller cheaper active speaker systems do actually sound pretty good... But saying that, I think Im going to keep my floor standing speakers, sub and amp for music listening as I spent quite a bit of money and time to match everything up so it sounds pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom