2005/2006 F1 News and Testing.

Man of Honour
OP
Honda unveils the RA106

The Honda Racing F1 Team unveiled its challenger for the 2006 Formula One season in Spain this morning with the new driver line-up of Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello.

This marked an important milestone for Honda as it is the first Formula One car launched by a Honda works team since 1968.

As an indication of Honda's commitment to the new challenge and the strength of its manufacturing operation, the team delivered not one, but two identical RA106 race cars to the launch to enable Rubens and Jenson to start testing at exactly the same time. The new cars and their RA806E engines are the product of a single, unified team which combines the resources of the Honda Racing F1 Team Operations Centre in Brackley, England, Honda Racing Development's engine base in Bracknell, England, and Honda R&D in Tochigi, Japan.

The RA106 sported its new base canvas of Honda Racing White, a colour which has been synonymous with the Honda motorsport identity since the company's F1 debut in 1964. The rest of the livery has the more familiar feel of the Lucky Strike brand, which remains as title sponsor for the 2006 season.

Nick Fry, Chief Executive Officer:
"Our target in 2006 is to challenge for race wins and we will do our utmost to achieve that objective."

"During 2005 we put in place some important building blocks that will help us meet our targets in 2006 and beyond. We secured two of the best racing drivers in the world, we proved our ability to develop a car through the season, resulting in points for Jenson in each of the last ten races, and we gained a better understanding of the strengths of the 2004 car and the issues with our 2005 race car. Lastly, and most importantly, we have "works" team status with access to the technical resources of Honda R&D. I'm particularly proud that we have been able to deliver a new car each for Jenson and Rubens today which demonstrates the depth of our manufacturing ability and skill and determination of our people. With our new wind tunnel also coming on-stream later this year, we are ready to step up to the challenge."

Yasuhiro Wada, President of Honda Racing Development and Management Board Member of the Honda Racing F1 Team:
"The 2006 F1 season means a great deal to all of us at Honda as it marks the beginning of a new adventure and confirms an even greater commitment to F1. The launch today of the first F1 chassis since 1968 to carry the Honda name is a particularly significant moment.

"It is up to all the engineers involved in the programme, at the F1 Operations Centre in Brackley, HRD in Bracknell and Honda R&D in Japan to rise to the challenge of F1 and show the world what Honda can do as a fully integrated force. The development of a new challenging spirit and a desire to work together to challenge for wins is at the core of Honda's philosophy. Honda has always exposed its engineers to the highest competition in racing as it uniquely prepares them for the challenges that lie ahead. We are all excited about the season to come and up for the fight!"

Geoffrey Willis, Technical Director:
"The new RA106 is the product of four years of steady evolution. During this time, the team has developed a high level of technical capability which now sees it designing, manufacturing and operating at the highest level on the grid. The emphasis now is on integration and combining our design concepts and expertise to achieve a car capable of challenging for race wins.

"One of our key areas of focus has been aerodynamics, the design considerations for which were two-fold – the aero problem that we faced in 2005 and achieving a significant improvement in aerodynamic efficiency to meet the requirements of the new, smaller V8 engine and its implications on chassis design. We are pleased with the progress we have made in the wind tunnel over the winter and our data shows that we have made a good step forward. Mechanically, in keeping with the evolutionary theme we have refined our various concepts including our third generation carbon composite gearbox.

"Honda has produced a new engine to meet the challenge of Formula One's switch from V10 to V8 power. The new RA806E is the result of a very intensive year's work with many concepts designed and tested since the prototype first ran in May 2005. Since the latest specification started running in November 2005, the team has been encouraged by its reliability and performance."

Rubens Barrichello:
"This is a very exciting day for me as it's my first launch with a new team for six years! Honda has a fantastic heritage in motorsport and it's great to be a part of that now. I can't wait to drive the new car and the discussions I've had with our technical team indicate that we have good reason to be excited about the season ahead. I'm sure that will be confirmed when I test the car for the first time today."

Jenson Button:
"I'm incredibly proud and excited to be part of the Honda Racing F1 Team and 2006 is going to be a very important year for all of us. We've achieved a lot in winter testing with our Concept car and I have seen first hand the huge effort in Brackley and Tochigi over the past few months. I'm confident that all the determination will be rewarded this year and I've done my part by working even harder on my fitness to ensure that I'm in the best possible shape for the season ahead. I can't wait for the first race in Bahrain."

Anthony Davidson:
"I'm really looking forward to playing my part in what I'm sure will be a successful year for the team. It's going to be great to be running again on Fridays at Grands Prix and I know this will really help our development throughout the year."

Man of Honour
OP
ra106-1.jpg

ra106-2.jpg

ra106-3.jpg

ra106-4.jpg

ra106-5.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
Reasonably traditional as well - apart from the hig level mid-wing and the flow conditioners on the side at the front of the sidepods.

Man of Honour
OP
Technical specs for Ferrari's 248

Ferrari unveiled their 2006 car, the 248 F1, on Tuesday at Mugello. Here the specs for the new car and its engine...

248 F1 Technical Specifications
Monocoque construction – Carbon fibre and honeycomb composite structure

Ferrari longitudinal gearbox - Limited slip differential, semiautomatic sequential electronically controlled gearbox

Number of gears – 7 + reverse

Ventilated carbon – Fibre disc brakes

Suspension - Independent suspension, push rod activated torsion springs, front and rear

Dimensions
Length - 4545 mm

Width - 1796 mm

Height - 959 mm

Wheelbase - 50 mm

Front track - 1470 mm

Rear track - 1405 mm

Weight with water lubricant and driver - 600 kg

Wheels, front and rear - 13”

056 Engine Specifications
Type - 056

Number of cylinders - 8

Cylinder block in cast aluminium - V90

Number of valves - 32, pneumatic distribution

Total displacement - 2398 cm3

Piston bore - 98 mm

Weight - > 95 kg

Magneti Marelli digital electronic injection

Magneti Marelli static electronic ingnition

Fuel - Shell V-Power ULG 59

Lubricant - Shell SL 0932

Man of Honour
OP
Montoya says he's on the market

Juan Pablo Montoya says he is already looking around for a new team for 2007.

Speculation suggested that, in mid-December, Woking chief Ron Dennis did not take up an option on the Colombian's services beyond this year. It is a concept that Montoya, 30, does not reject.

“I would happily stay with McLaren,” he told Auto, Motor und Sport. “Continuity is a very important thing. But the team would first have to show me that they want me.”

Montoya's comments, of course, should be swallowed in the context of Ron Dennis' signing of Fernando Alonso for 2007, and the simple fact that - at the very least - either Juan Pablo or Kimi Raikkonen will have to make way for the Spanish world champion.

Already, the rumour mill has suggested that Montoya could go to Red Bull, but the latest suggestion is that manager Julian Jakobi has now opened talks with BMW Sauber about 2007.

Montoya warned Dennis that he will not wait forever for his decision. “If I get an offer from Ferrari, Renault or BMW, then I will be off the market.”

Interesting....

Not sure it tells us anything about whats going on at McLaren - but interesting anway

Man of Honour
Nice to see someone's put a bit of effort into the launch photos, those ones are a bit more interesting than the mugshot style shots everyone else has released so far.

The car itself has some unusual touches, the barge boards being the most evident - they're in the wrong place Gromit! Also looks like torsion bar front suspension from the wee bumps on the nose, not seen that for a few years. Nice tight packaging at the rear end but interestingly they've gone with chimneys and fish gills for cooling.

Finally there's a tiny nod to the original Honda RA300 et al of the early sixties with the wee red/orange band on the nose.

Man of Honour
OP
Technical specs RA106

The Honda Racing F1 Team unveiled its challenger for the 2006 Formula One season in Spain this morning with the new driver line-up of Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello. Here are the technical specifications of the RA106.

RA106 Technical Specification
Construction: Moulded carbon fibre and honeycomb composite structure that surpasses latest FIA impact and strength regulations

Front suspension: Wishbone and pushrod-activated torsion springs and rockers, mechanical anti-roll bar

Rear suspension: Wishbone and pushrod-activated torsion springs and rockers, mechanical anti-roll bar

Dampers: Showa

Wheels: BBS forged magnesium

Front: 312mm wide

Rear: 340mm wide

Tyres: Michelin

Brakes: Alcon

Front: 2 x 6-piston calipers

Back: 2 x 6-piston calipers

Brake discs/pads: Carbon/Carbon

Steering: Honda F1 power assisted Rack and Pinion

Steering wheel: Honda F1 carbon fibre construction

Driver’s seat: Anatomically formed carbon composite

Seat belts: Six-point harness (75mm shoulder straps with HANS system)

Fuel cell: ATL kevlar-reinforced rubber bladder

Fuel capacity: 150 litre

Battery: 3Ah Lead Acid

Instrumentation: Honda F1 steering wheel dash display

Gearbox: Carbon composite maincase: 7-speed unit, Honda internals

Gear selection: Sequential, semi-automatic, hydraulic activation

Clutch: Carbon plate

Front track: 1460mm

Rear track: 1420mm

Wheel base: 3140mm

Overall length: 4675mm

Overall height: 950mm

Overall width: 1800mm

Honda RA806E Technical Specification
Name: Honda RA806E

Displacement: 2.4 litres

Configuration: V8, naturally aspirated

Vee angle: 90 degrees

Maximum power: Over 700 ps

Maximum revs: Over 18,500 rpm

Valve train: 4 valves per cylinder; pneumatic valve system

Injection system: Honda PGM-FI

Throttle system: Electronic hydraulically-operated system

Ignition system: Honda PGM-IG

Man of Honour
Honda calls for 2008 rules rethink
Honda Racing Development president Yasuhiro Wada says the proposed rules for 2008 need to be discussed if the carmakers are to ditch plans to start a breakaway championship.

The sport's governing body, the FIA, unveiled last year plans for a low-cost Formula One from 2008, when the current Concorde Agreement expires.

Among the regulations proposed are the provision to ban expensive technologies, the introduction of the Centreline Downwash Generating (CDG) Wing, rev-limited engines, the introduction of standard ECUs and wider slick tyres.

The FIA also wants a single tyre supplier, engines that last for three races, four-race transmissions and weight penalties for the early replacements of engine and gearboxes.

But Wada said some members of the Grand Prix Manufacturers' Association are unhappy with the proposed rules and claims changes will have to be made if the breakaway threat is to go away.

"I think we see some signs of getting close and getting some compromise with some good discussions going on but after seeing the 2008 regulations proposals from the FIA, many people are upset with it and not happy with that," Wada told reporters in Barcelona.

"So we need to talk with the FIA about the future regulations. I don't know what you guys think about whether it is good for F1 or not."

Honda are one of five carmakers threatening to create their own championship from the beginning of 2008 unless their demands are met.

GPMA members want a fair share of Formula One's revenues, but Wada pointed out that technology, rather than money, is their biggest concern.

"I think commercial is not quite a big issue for us," added Wada. "We are not racing for commercial reasons, so money allocation and so forth we can compromise on and that is not our priority.

"The reason we are racing is for technical things so if the regulations go like the 2008 proposals then there is not much area to work with, like a common ECU, three-race gearbox and so forth. Where is the technology?"

Man of Honour
The FIA have this daft notion that if you remove any innovation from, say, the ECU then the teams will instantly sack all the folk they have working on engine electronics and hence costs go down. This is, of course, about as far from real world as it's possible to get. All that happens is the folk get redeployed on simulation software for example and the end result is the money still gets spent looking for small gains in the areas where innovation is still possible. Now since the gains available are so small the teams end up employing a small army of staff to find enough of them.

End result? Costs actually go up.

So how do you reduce cost? Simple, you can't. Teams, sponsors and manufacturers want to win, you win by having the best car and driver, you get that by spending money on development, testing and salaries. The more you spend, the more you get.

Man of Honour
OP
MF1 promises big test programme

Colin Kolles has promised that Midland's newly-named 'MF1' team will embark on a big test programme in February.

The Silverstone based squad's managing director told 'Speed TV' - on the one-year anniversary of taking over Jordan - that the not-yet-unleased 'M16' car will be taken to Jerez, Valencia and Barcelona prior to the season opener in Bahrain.

Kolles said: "We have 15 days of testing, so there will be a lot to learn. Hopefully the car will be quick enough!"

It's been a busy week at the Russian-owned camp. On Tuesday, Midland confirmed that rising German talent Markus Winkelhock has been signed as a test driver.

"(He) will participate in (the) Friday driver lineup," a statement read, "the full details of which will be announced at a later date."

It was also announced that the logo of container shipping company 'Zim' will be painted on the 2006 car.

Man of Honour
OP
Schumacher’s new rearward view

At least visibly, Ferrari's new 248 F1 racer is not radical, unless you're referring to the car's mirrors.

It is perhaps the most unique aspect of the 2006 model. Unlike more conventional designs, the mirrors' unusually-long stalks are not attached to the cockpit sides, but to the top of the side pods.

Michael Schumacher denied that it is now harder to keep tabs on what is happening behind the scarlet racer.

“The view is different,” the German said at Mugello, “but it's no problem.”

37-year-old Schumacher explained that the mirrors were moved for the 248 car after tests in the wind tunnel showed that it is a more aerodynamic solution.

Also new at Mugello was Schumacher's new 'Deutsche Vermogensberatung' sponsor cap, featuring a Chinese character on the peak, the Italian flag on the left, and the German flag on the right.

Man of Honour
OP
Fisichella keeps driver's license

Despite being clocked at a whopping 148KPH in a 60-zone in November, F1 ace Giancarlo Fisichella has kept his Italian driver's license.

The Roman was nabbed by local police speeding home at 4.30am with his wife. Fisichella, twice a Grand Prix winner, said at the time that they were rushing to be with their sick child.

According to new reports in Italy, a judge has ruled that the 32-year-old Renault driver should not be punished beyond a hefty fine.

Woooooooah!! F1 ace?

Man of Honour
OP
Ferrari will back Schumacher for 2 more years

On the Mugello grid, Michael Schumacher and 2006 teammate Felipe Massa posed for photographers with the new '248 F1' grand prix car.

But much of the world's media in Italy wondered what the faces of the men in scarlet overalls would look like in a year.

Nobody was giving much away, but Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo does not hide that he wants Schumacher to pen a new deal.

"He will decide," said the Italian chief. "For me, I believe he has everything he needs to stay at the sport's highest level for two more years.

"But if he tells us in the middle of the season that he is no longer motivated, we will be sad, but we will understand, because motivation is important not only in sport, but in your life."

Montezemolo also rejected rumours that formula one is becoming simply too expensive for Ferrari to compete in.

The Italian said: "This is a sport in which we have always been involved, and in which we always will be."

Man of Honour
OP
BMW had V8 vibration trouble

According to the rumour mill, BMW - perhaps more than most - has grappled with the problem of vibration in its new 2.4 litre V8 engine.

And while the current state of play must remain in the field of speculation and suggestion, BMW Sauber's technical director Willy Rampf has admitted that it was a big problem the team dealt with early on.

"When we ran the P86 engine for the first time," the German told Motorsport Aktuell, "it jumped up and down wildly on the test stand."

Rampf added that the problem has been addressed.

Seven time world champion Michael Schumacher, meanwhile, inspired a few smiles at Mugello on Tuesday when asked about the noise of the new V8 units.

"They sound, to me, a bit like Tina Turner's voice," the German quipped.

Man of Honour
OP
Willis confident of Aero package

Honda Racing’s technical director Geoff Willis is confident the team has addressed the weaknesses that confined it to a bit-part role in the 2005 world championship.

Foremost among these was a lack of aerodynamic downforce, and Willis confirmed that the design team has concentrated its efforts in this area on the new RA106.

Speaking at the car's launch in Barcelona, Willis said the initial indications from the wind tunnel and track testing with the concept car have been positive.

He said: “One of our key areas of focus has been aerodynamics, the design considerations for which were two-fold – the aero problem that we faced in 2005 and achieving a significant improvement in aerodynamic efficiency to meet the requirements of the new, smaller V8 engine and its implications on chassis design.

“We are pleased with the progress we have made in the wind tunnel over the winter and our data shows that we have made a good step forward.”

In other respects the RA106 does not represent a radical departure from last year’s BAR 007.

“The new car is the product of four years of steady evolution,” Willis said.

“During this time, the team has developed a high level of technical capability which now sees it designing, manufacturing and operating at the highest level on the grid.

“The emphasis now is on integration and combining our design concepts and expertise to achieve a car capable of challenging for race wins.

“Mechanically, in keeping with the evolutionary theme we have refined various concepts including our third-generation carbon composite gearbox.”

Man of Honour
Bridgestone teams agree to collaborate
Ferrari, Toyota, Williams and Midland have agreed to join forces and share data on Bridgestone tyre development and testing, Ferrari's technical director Ross Brawn revealed.

Toyota and Williams have switched from Michelin tyres to Bridgestone ahead of this season, giving the Japanese tyre maker a further development boost, after concentrating almost exclusively on Ferrari's needs.

"There's an agreement between Toyota, Williams, Ferrari and Jordan (Midland) to show all information," Brawn said. "So all the information from tyre testing goes into a central data bank that we can all look at, to see how the tyre testing is going.

"So we can compare our results with the different tyres and see how the tyres react to the different cars."

Brawn said the expansion in front-running teams also provides Bridgestone with a bigger challenge, but he said the value of the combined effort makes it worth while for the Japanese company.

"Overall it's a good thing to have two extra teams helping to develop the tyres," Brawn said yesterday, at the team's 248 F1 car launch.

"It means it's a much bigger challenge and complication for Bridgestone, because for a few years Bridgestone concentrated almost exclusively on Ferrari, so their logistics and priorities have been very, very simple.

"Now they have a much more complex challenge, because there's two serious other teams that give input which also need to be supported, so that way it'll be more complicated for them.

"On the other hand, we get a lot more information, and information from different sources. That's very valuable.

"I think it's important, as it gives Bridgestone and everyone confidence in what they're seeing.

"When you only get the results from one car, particularly in a difficult year like 2005, you question why you're getting those results. Is it the car? Is it the tyres? Or is it a combination?

"Of course, with the two other teams, Bridgestone can have more confidence in what's happening and the results they get."

Man of Honour
OP
rpstewart said:
The FIA have this daft notion that if you remove any innovation from, say, the ECU then the teams will instantly sack all the folk they have working on engine electronics and hence costs go down. This is, of course, about as far from real world as it's possible to get. All that happens is the folk get redeployed on simulation software for example and the end result is the money still gets spent looking for small gains in the areas where innovation is still possible. Now since the gains available are so small the teams end up employing a small army of staff to find enough of them.

End result? Costs actually go up.

So how do you reduce cost? Simple, you can't. Teams, sponsors and manufacturers want to win, you win by having the best car and driver, you get that by spending money on development, testing and salaries. The more you spend, the more you get.

Too true.

Just a physical limit on testing could be a big reduction in costs...temporailly.

They'll just go onto do more CFD, more wind tunnel testing and more rig simulations before putting the car onto the track.

Simon/~Flibster

Back
Top Bottom