2005/2006 F1 News and Testing.

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Does anyone have any news on Spa as of late? Nothing has been on planet F1, itv F1 or any of the other Formula 1 news sites for nearly a week. After the FIA discounted claims last week my mood was lifted (I am one of the current fools to have already booked a ticket and now orders are frozen!) but seeing as nothing has been done I presume Bernie is still dilly-dallying elsewhere.

Once again F1 shafts the fans with lack of communication, I need to know if its cancelled so I can book another one instead!

Soldato
A little off topic here, but wondering whether anyone here recommends either:

1. F1-live Premium access

2. Autosport subscription online

as a paid method of getting a little more info/videos/photos etc of the action? Anyone have experience of either of these?

Man of Honour
OP
rpstewart said:
Well who else were we going to pick on every other Sunday?

True...

But we now have Massa in a Ferrari... ;)

TomWilko said:
Does anyone have any news on Spa as of late? Nothing has been on planet F1, itv F1 or any of the other Formula 1 news sites for nearly a week. After the FIA discounted claims last week my mood was lifted (I am one of the current fools to have already booked a ticket and now orders are frozen!) but seeing as nothing has been done I presume Bernie is still dilly-dallying elsewhere.

Once again F1 shafts the fans with lack of communication, I need to know if its cancelled so I can book another one instead!

Try around a dozen posts up...

Last thing I heard was it can go on without any improvements as long as they pay for it :(

Type_R said:

as a paid method of getting a little more info/videos/photos etc of the action? Anyone have experience of either of these?

Don't have either myself. Was interested in getting a full Autosport subscription...but at nearly £200 they can go hang...

I think that F1 Live looks the better at supplying extra material though from the last time I shopped around. Will have to have another look.

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
Flibster said:
Don't have either myself. Was interested in getting a full Autosport subscription...but at nearly £200 they can go hang...

I think that F1 Live looks the better at supplying extra material though from the last time I shopped around. Will have to have another look.

Simon/~Flibster

Thanks for the input. I'll hold on until you have had another look. I dont think there are any other sites that offer vids/interviews etc based on F1 apart from those 2?

Man of Honour
OP
Type_R said:
Thanks for the input. I'll hold on until you have had another look. I dont think there are any other sites that offer vids/interviews etc based on F1 apart from those 2?

Off the top of my head....

Nope. Will have a look during the day sometime.

Man of Honour
OP
Another sponsor for WilliamsF1

In conjunction with the launch of the team's 2006 race car today, the WilliamsF1 Team unveiled an important new technical sponsor, the Japanese Mobilecast Corporation.

Headquartered in Tokyo, Mobilecast are pioneers in creating an array of consumer and business focused products around Bluetooth wireless connectivity. Mobilecast have ambitious plans to develop their brand beyond Japan and plan to use their association with the WilliamsF1 Team as a platform for international product and brand development.

An integral part of the sponsorship will see the Williams brand applied to a range of Mobilecast products, which will become available to consumers during the course of the 2006 season, while Mobilecast's branding will appear on the back of the FW28's rear wing, the nose cone and across the team environment, from trucks to garage wallboards.

In addition to the marketing benefits that the F1 sponsorship programme brings, it is envisaged that Williams and Mobilecast will co-operate on a number of technical projects using Mobilecast's wireless technology and sensing technology to harness improved communications for team activities.

Speaking prior to the launch of the WilliamsF1 FW28, Mobilecast President and CEO, Mr Eiji Akaike said, "We have successfully used motorsport sponsorship in Japan to create awareness in our target marketplace for our company and products. It is therefore entirely logical for us to use the same process as we expand into international markets. We have been impressed with Williams' professional approach and creative market treatments on how we can use a Formula One marketing association to benefit our company."

On the new acquisition, the WilliamsF1 Team's Team Principal, Frank Williams, commented, "In an environment like Williams, which is driven by technology, I am rarely surprised by mainstream technology presentations. However, what has been demonstrated by Mobilecast is particularly impressive and cutting-edge. The opportunity to partner such an innovative and forward-thinking organisation is an important one and I hope that we can prove to Mobilecast over the long-term that their investment in the WilliamsF1 Team will be both a sound and technically rewarding decision."

Man of Honour
OP
Red Bull gains Prodromou from McLaren

It's understood that McLaren chief aerodynamicist, Peter Prodromou, is to leave the Woking team and follow former technical director, Adrian Newey, to Red Bull.

There had been speculation about the move for some time, in addition to repeated rumours that vehicles director, Nicolas Tombazis, is returning to Ferrari, but these have been dismissed by the 8-time Constructors' Championship winners.

Earlier this week, McLaren CEO, Martin Whitmarsh, denied the rumours, however, the team has now issued a statement re Prodromou, stating that he is leaving but at the end of the 2006 season.

"It has been agreed by Red Bull Racing and Peter Prodromou that Peter would join the team as chief aerodynamicist later this year when his contract expires with McLaren-Mercedes," read the statement.

It remains to be seen whether there is any truth in the Tombazis rumour, though paddock insiders are already speculating over how the loss of such high-profile, and successful, men will impact the team. Furthermore, the moves are causing people to look at Red Bull a little more seriously.

Man of Honour
OP
Karthikeyan joins WilliamsF1

On the day of the launch of its 2006 season race car, the FW28, WilliamsF1 confirmed the appointment of Narain Karthikeyan as the team's fourth driver.

Karthikeyan, dubbed ‘The fastest Indian in the World,' first tested for WilliamsF1 on Wednesday 7 December, 2005, in Jerez and immediately impressed the team with his skill and capability in the car.

While the team took the decision to hire the experience of Alex Wurz to carry out the important Friday testing role for the 2006 season, WilliamsF1 still regarded the young Indian's abilities highly. Today's confirmation of Narain's appointment as a team test driver is validation of that confidence.

Narain has been signed by the team both to develop his own potential and to make a valuable contribution to the crucial test programme, the bedrock of Williams' 2006 championship as the company strengthens its new technical partnerships with engine suppliers, Cosworth and tyre company, Bridgestone.

Sir Frank Williams, WilliamsF1's Team Principal said, "Narain's brief period in the car in December, during which he provided valuable feedback, made a very distinct impression on our engineers. Having a year's GP racing and testing to his credit is also advantageous for us so I am pleased we can now formally confirm his appointment to the team."

For his part, Karthikeyan reflected, "It has taken some while to resolve what I would be doing for 2006, but having tested for Williams late last year, joining the team was the best option for me and I am delighted that we can finally confirm this today. I am looking forward to testing the FW28 and making a contribution to Williams' competitiveness this season."

Man of Honour
OP
More doubt about Spa

Although the 2006 Belgian GP at Spa has not been officially cancelled, new doubt has been placed on the event following an interview Bernie Ecclestone gave to Belgian journalist, Walter Wauters.

Asked if there will be a Belgian Grand Prix this year, Ecclestone admitted: "It will be difficult."

Last week, when the BBC claimed that Ecclestone had "pulled the plug" on the event, and other media outlets firmly laid the blame at the Englishman's door, the Spa saga took a new twist when it was claimed that the cancellation wasn't due to money problems, but the F1 supremo's demands for improved facilities, namely a new paddock complex.

Not so, says Bernie.

"That has nothing to do with it," he said. "They can organise the Grand Prix without the construction works.

All they have to do is comply with the contract and there will be a Grand Prix this year," he added, referring to the fee payable to FOM in order to host the event.

"The paddock isn't very good," he added. "They had promised to change it, but never on paper. A new paddock cannot be enforced, just as we cannot demand a new pitlane."

Referring to plans whereby he assumes the role of race promoter, Ecclestone said: "They want us to organise the race. That's alright for us, but modifications would then have to be made.

"Three years ago, they promised us a new pits and paddock complex. Now we demand a guarantee that it will be done. Furthermore, we want an 18m euro grant, to cover the risk. We want a bank guarantee.

"If we say yes to promoting the race and start selling tickets for 2007, but they don't build a new grandstand, then we have sold seats that aren't available and we leave ourselves open to legal proceedings."

Man of Honour
Type_R said:

I've got access to Autosport.com through a subscription to the magazine, it's fairly hefty doing it that way at about £25 a quarter. The mag itself is OK, probably one or two decent articles but nothing earth shattering because it's a weekly news based publication. If I was starting from scratch again I'd probably go just with Motorsport rather than both that and Autosport simply because I rarely refer back to old copies of Autosport.

Man of Honour
OP
Mercedes in McLaren buyout link

If you listen to the muses of the F1 grapevine, then Mercedes-Benz could be preparing to buy the remaining slice of McLaren.

Team boss Ron Dennis and Mansour Ojjeh hold the 60 percent in question, with the German manufacturer already owning the rest.

Martin Whitmarsh would not comment specifically on the buyout rumours, but he did admit this week that Mercedes' 'interest' in the Woking based team 'is higher than ever before, on all fronts'.

He told the Reuters agency: "I think there is absolutely and clearly a commitment (from Mercedes) to being in F1 for a long time."

At the Circuit de Catalunya venue this week, moreover, it was rumoured that McLaren and Stuttgart based Mercedes could collaborate on more sports car projects in the future.

Man of Honour
OP
Snow at Barcelona

The final day of testing at Barcelona is looking to be a bit of a washout, or maybe even a white-out.

As a result of freezing cold temperatures and intermittent rain, there has been no action thus far this morning.

Then, at 10:30 (GMT) it began snowing.

Inter-team snowball fights!!! :D

Man of Honour
OP
Sato all set for Super Aguri

Takuma Sato has not yet signed a contract to race for the newly-confirmed Super Aguri squad.

But team chief Aguri Suzuki's long time business partner, Fumito Akita, said from Tokyo that 'final negotiations' were now on.

And he admitted to CBS SportsLine: "Sato will probably drive in the team's number one car."

Regarding the other seat, Akita said the Leafield based team, which will be administered from Japan, was negotiating with Japanese, European and North American drivers.

Man of Honour
OP
Super Aguri to test in late February

A Super Aguri spokeswoman has confirmed that the team will test in the "latter part of February", probably at Barcelona, which hosts a four-day test from February 21.

The spokeswoman said that at least one of the team's drivers will be announced "soon" with the second probably revealed at the test.

She added, we are now "concentrating on getting the cars to Bahrain, locking down drivers and finalising commercial agreements".

The Japanese team will initially run the 2002 Arrows, which it purchased from former Minardi owner, Paul Stoddart, before introducing its own car.

The Super Aguri will use the Honda V8, however, the team was unable to confirm which engine the Arrows will use.

Furthermore, it is widely speculated that the Japanese team will use Bridgestone rubber, though this also has not been confirmed.

Man of Honour
OP
Williams F1 says hello to Tata

The WilliamsF1 Team today announced a major new sponsorship association with Tata, one of India's most successful multi-disciplinary commercial conglomerates. The partnership will see the Tata brand displayed on the FW28's nose, the drivers' helmets and overalls, as well as on various locations across the team environment.

An industrial giant, the Tata Group comprises a network of 92 operating companies in seven business sectors, including information systems and communications, engineering, materials, services, energy, consumer products and chemicals, and is one of the driving forces behind the re-emergence of the Asian Tiger phenomenon.

Founded in the last quarter of the 19th century, Tata is today one of India's largest businesses with revenues equivalent to almost 2.6% of the nation's gross domestic product. The Group employs in excess of 220,000 people and exports products and services to over 140 countries worldwide. With a product portfolio ranging from motor cars to tea and from internet services to luxury hotels, the Tata Group can justifiably claim to touch the lives of every one of India's billion inhabitants on a daily basis.

Inherent in the fabric of the Tata Group's guiding principles, expounded since its inception, are the core values of integrity, understanding, excellence, unity and responsibility. Born at the time of de-colonisation, the Group aligned business opportunities with nation building and it is this same ethos that is ingrained in the Group's decision-making process today.

The alliance with the WilliamsF1 Team will provide a unique platform for Tata to communicate its blanket of competencies to a global audience. In particular, Tata will use the partnership to illustrate its technical proficiencies through a range of initiatives, including software development and CAD design. The union of Williams, a niche British engineering company and the industrial muscle of Tata, promises to deliver a formidable range of benefits to both parties.

Following the announcement, Mr. Romit Chaterji, the Tata Group's Sr. Vice President, Corporate Affairs, commented, "We are delighted to be partnering a world-class team like WilliamsF1. Their successful track record over the years in Formula One and their passion for the sport is what sets them apart. In addition, we are happy to support Narain's F1 racing career for another year. Moreover, this association extends beyond mere sponsorship with WilliamsF1 as they will be exploring opportunities to source high technology products and services from the Tata Group."

Frank Williams, Team Principal of the WilliamsF1 Team, confirmed, "To welcome a company of Tata's calibre to the Williams sponsor community is enormously satisfying. Formula One will not only deliver sound business to business opportunities to the Group, but the team will also benefit from their considerable expertise in
various technical fields."

Man of Honour
OP
Mmmm...tasty...

Looks like my search for a sportier replacement for the Megane Coupe is finally over. :D

Simon/~Flibster

*Didn't Tata produce the car that became the Shi..errr...CityRover??*

Back
Top Bottom