2005/2006 F1 News and Testing.

Man of Honour
There's still a lot of blank space on both the Williams car and overalls. They've signed up Mobilcast and Battery but their logos seem to be quite small on the car, as does Tata's. Maybe there's a bigger deal in the offing?

Man of Honour
OP
rpstewart said:
There's still a lot of blank space on both the Williams car and overalls. They've signed up Mobilcast and Battery but their logos seem to be quite small on the car, as does Tata's. Maybe there's a bigger deal in the offing?

Their official entry name this year is WilliamsF1 Cosworth
So - no title sponsor at the moment.

The car is very empty at the moment though.

You would expect them to have a major deal signed by the time they launch the car with all the sponsors on the car though.

McLaren are still working on it - maybe there is a deal for Williams in the pipeline but the deadline hit?

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
I opted for the F1-live 12 month subscription. Some good pics from launch and testing on there. Some good vids too, video quality is good and the archive goes back at least 10 years!

Man of Honour
I've just had a thought and it might be one that's worrying Sir Frank too.

My understanding is that the Friday third driver option is available to the bottom 6 teams. Now I would assume that this is the bottom six (ie 5th down) from last years constructors championship. Now that we have 11 teams do we have 7 teams allowed a third car on Fridays or has Williams lost it's Friday place?

Man of Honour
OP
rpstewart said:
I've just had a thought and it might be one that's worrying Sir Frank too.

My understanding is that the Friday third driver option is available to the bottom 6 teams. Now I would assume that this is the bottom six (ie 5th down) from last years constructors championship. Now that we have 11 teams do we have 7 teams allowed a third car on Fridays or has Williams lost it's Friday place?

Good point.

Will have to look into this...If it's based on the positions from last season they should be fine. Super Aguri Racing *still a stupid name* wern't in it last year. :D

Will have to confirm that though.

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
Malaysian F1 team idea fades

State owned oil company Petronas has backed away from apparent plans to support a national Malaysian F1 team.

Despite earlier noises from within the Southeast Asian country's government, Petronas - the long time Sauber sponsor - says the A1 Grand Prix series has quelled the need for an all-Malaysian team.

With nationals Alex Yoong and Fairuz Fauzy at the single seater's wheel, Malaysia fields a team in the new series.

"If you are looking to have a Grand Prix team by a nation," Petronas' Rosman Roslan told ESPN Star Sports, "I believe A1GP is covering that aspect. I believe Formula One is very much a corporate thing (rather) than a patriotic one."

Roslan also said that Malaysia is already well represented in the Formula One world by annually hosting a Grand Prix in Kuala Lumpur.

Bugger - there goes Lotus from F1 again. :(

Man of Honour
OP
BRDC chooses Silverstone developer

The British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC) has finally chosen the developer with which it intends undertaking a massive redevelopment of the Silverstone circuit and surrounding land.

The redevelopment includes plans for an extended technology park and leisure facilities, including a hotel, and even a rail link.

A letter sent out to members reads as follows:

"We want to update you on progress with finding a suitable partner to develop Silverstone.

Since we first wrote to you in July 2005 we have invited and received proposals from a number of developers, interviewed a shortlist and more recently have been engaged in detailed negotiations with the final three on the list.

We are now in a position to confirm that St. Modwen Properties plc are our proposed preferred developer. We have negotiated a set of Heads of Agreement and the Board now wishes to seek your approval to continuing the discussions with a view to converting the Heads of Agreement into a substantial, comprehensive and legally binding set of agreements.

This will involve considerable management time, effort and external cost. In view of this, the Board felt it appropriate to seek your endorsement at this stage. Accordingly, you will be receiving in some two weeks time a formal letter from us accompanying a Notice convening an Extraordinary General Meeting for 22nd February. This will be held at Silverstone.

The documents you will receive will include a covering letter, which will explain the current state of play, as set out in the Heads of Agreement. Without pre-empting the outcome of the EGM in February, we should also mention that the final agreements will of course need your approval and this will be done preferably at the AGM in April or, if we are not ready by then, at a specially convened EGM.

In addition to the documentation sent out in advance, we will ensure that you get a thorough briefing at the meeting on 22nd February and there will be plenty of time for questions and answers before you are asked to approve our continuing to the next stage."

Man of Honour
There's hope yet...

Sateo deal with Super Aguri not yet official
Takuma Sato may have been the first man to reveal to the F1 world the existence of an eleventh team, but the Japanese driver says there is still no official confirmation of his deal with Super Aguri for the 2006 season.

Super Aguri's entry to the world championship was accepted by the FIA last Thursday, and the Honda-powered team are now busy tying up all loose ends in preparations for the first round of the season, in less than six weeks.

And Sato admitted he was relieved to hear the news.

"We have been waiting for this news for a long time so now I am relieved and so happy," he wrote this weekend on his official website.

"I was quite sure that the team would be able to get approval from the FIA, but I was anxiously waiting for the official announcement.

"Until now the staff at Leafield have been doing their best to prepare for the first race, now finally they can start to operate as an official F1 team, so I think they are relieved too.

"And I am so glad that all the staff can now work without anxiety. I am sure being approved by the FIA should increase the momentum.

"We have still not announced my part in the team, so please wait a little longer."

Man of Honour
OP
On a cool note...

Jos seems to be having fun now.

Back to the front for Jos Verstappen

The A1 Grand Prix of Nations, Durban, South Africa, attended by President Thabo Mbecki and just over 100,000 people over the course of the weekend provided one of the most spectacular races of the season to date. As the cars left the starting grid and streamed down to the first corner, it was A1 Team Switzerland who got the best start and led A1 Team France out of the tight hairpin.

However, the best start was definitely made by A1 Team Netherlands who were up into tenth from sixteenth on the grid by the end of lap one. The start wasn’t without dramas as A1 Team Czech Republic stalled on his fifth position on the grid and so causing the cars behind him to take avoiding action.

The pit stops started early with the leader and second placed A1 Team France coming in at the end of lap two. This pit stop proved the start of an uncharacteristically troublesome race for Series point’s leader France as a 53 second pit stop dropped them down the field and this was not helped by the fact that later in the race the team were given a drive through penalty for a pit lane infringement.

Unfortunately the first safety car period was when the race was only three laps old. This was to remove the cars of A1 Teams USA and Australia that had tangled in turn one when the American driver tried what proved to be an unsuccessful overtaking manoeuvre. A1 Team Great Britain didn’t have any better luck than France as a slow pit stop was followed by a second one on the next lap because the air gun had become wedged in the back of the car and this obviously had to be removed.

When the safety car came in at the end of lap six it was A1 Team New Zealand leading helped by the fact they had yet to make their compulsory pit stop.

Despite the tightness of the track, there was plenty of overtaking but A1 Team Canada suffered when the racing was a little too close and they lost their front wing in turn one only to run over the debris a lap later before having the opportunity to pit for a new nose which they did at the end of lap 10.

The second safety car period started on lap 12 when A1 Teams India and Indonesia collided. The cars were removed and racing began at the end of lap 15 with Brazil leading at this point although again due to not having pitted.

At this point in the race, A1 Team Ireland’s hopes of a finish disappeared after lying as high as second on lap two and then spending time in the pits with a problem. On lap 15 Ralph Firman parked the car on the side of the track after developed a severe handling problem caused by a broken anti-roll bar.

The crowds witnessed A1 Team Malaysia overtaking A1 Team South Africa on lap 16 and after the re-start the racing continued with at one point, three cars abreast trying to go into a corner with A1 Team Lebanon being the filling in the sandwich. A1 Team Malaysia were the next culprits to bring out a safety car after spinning and partly blocking the track on lap 26, narrowly being missed by A1 Team New Zealand. This period lasted for three laps with Brazil still leading when the safety car pulled off at the end of lap 29.

A podium position for A1 Team Germany looked certain until the car hit a wall on lap 36. However, A1 Team Switzerland looked set to notch up win number two as when Brazil pitted at the end of lap 37 they moved into the lead. Jos Verstappen was in an amazing second place but it was obvious again he was not going to give up the chance of a win until the chequered flag. As the cars were on their last lap, Jos took his opportunity and passed the car with the red and white flag on it which seemed to be slowing although not enough to allow third place A1 Team Portugal to get by.

"I’m very happy. I had a fantastic start, and was battling with people all the way through," race winner Verstappen said. "Both I and Alvaro made mistakes but I managed to get past and stay ahead, then Germany went into the wall and I know Brazil still had to pit."

Speaking about his courageous overtaking manoeuvre on the last lap of the Feature race, Verstappen said: "In the Sprint race second position was good, but I tried to overtake and it didn’t work out as I wanted. This time I was in the same position, and Neel was running wide. I used my PowerBoost and managed to overtake. I’m really pleased for the guys because they worked very hard and the fans as well. It was quite tough to come here with a new mechanic and a new race engineer, there were quite a few things different, but right from the start when I got in the car, it felt good here and I felt confident."

A disappointed Neel Jani said: "It looks like we always have problems in the race, I had no brakes at all in the last few laps. What can I say? For sure I am disappointed; we lost in Dubai through bad strategy and here through brake failure. I’m not too happy. Out of the last six races we could have won five. When you have made a mistake it is bad enough but when it isn’t your fault it is even worse. I probably won’t sleep very much tonight."

Portugal’s Alvaro Parente commented: "I’m very pleased, especially after qualifying. We had really good pace in free practice and qualifying was a disappointment. I attacked the Sprint race and managed to finish eighth, a good position for the start of the Feature race. It was an interesting fight and overtaking is hard on a street track like this. It’s great to have so many people watching the race, thanks to the crowd for their support. I’m delighted for the team who have worked really hard. Now we have to work for a win."

A1 Team South Africa finished fifth which equalled Alex Yoong’s record for best finish at a home race. For all their efforts, Brazil gained the bonus point for the fastest lap being the only driver to record a sub 1.19 time of 1.18.178 which obviously is now the official lap record for this circuit at an average speed of 151.2km/h.

Code:
Durban - Feature Race Results

1  Netherlands    Jos Verstappen    1.00.46.099
2  Switzerland    Neel Jani         1.00.47.873
3  Portugal       Alvaro Parente    1.00.48.064
4  New Zealand    Matt Halliday     1.00.50.451
5  South Africa   Stephen Simpson   1.00.55.532
6  Italy          Mass' Busnelli    1.00.56.834
7* France         Alexandre Premat  1.00.58.316
8  Austria        Mathias Lauda     1.01.16.222
9  Brazil         Nelson Piquet Jr  1.01.49.730
10 Canada         Sean McIntosh     36 laps
11 Germany        Timo Scheider     35 laps
12 China          Tengyi Jiang      35 laps
13 Pakistan       Enrico Toccacelo  31 laps
14 Mexico         David Martinez    30 laps
15 Lebanon        Basil Shaaban     27 laps
16 Malaysia       Alex Yoong        25 laps
17 Ireland        Ralph Firman      14 laps
18 India          Armaan Ebrahim    10 laps
19 Indonesia      Ananda Mikola     10 laps
20 Great Britain  Robbie Kerr       9 laps
21 Czech Republic Tomas Enge        7 laps
22 Australia      Will Davison      2 laps
23 USA            Philip Giebler    2 laps

* Following the race, A1 Team France was given a 25 second penalty for taking their drive through penalty during a safety car period dropping Premat down to eighth position behind Lauda.

Was very nice to see Jos get a well deserved win. Hw was extremely brave in the sprint race - but was perfect in the feature race.

Well done Jos. :D

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
Kimi warns Mercedes to up their game

Kimi Raikkonen has warned Mercedes to up their game after a worrying start to testing for the new McLaren.

The McLaren's Mercedes engine has suffered reliability woes since it made its debut last week and Raikkonen confessed he is concerned by the problems.

The Finn missed out on the world championship last season, largely due to a string of engine problems, and he is concerned history could repeat itself this term.

He told www.autosport.com: "They are not where they should be and they need to improve. On the engine side we have a lot of work to do.

"We have been testing for a long time but we have not been able to make progress. It is definitely our weakest link now, but improvement is coming."

"It is the first time I am in the car. I know there is a lot of work to do but they are improving, and I know what is coming."

"I am slightly worried but not too much. Sure I can expect more but now we'll wait for a proper engine and we'll see."

Man of Honour
OP
Rossi is brave to race with us says Webber

Mark Webber has said he was surprised to see Motorcycling World Champion, Valentino Rossi, had accepted a Ferrari drivers place in the three-day test beginning next week.

Rossi will be joining the Italian team on Tuesday in Valencia to partake in the pre-season testing.

The Yamaha rider has been behind the wheel of an F1 car many times before but these tests will be the first time he will be sharing the track with other drivers, no doubt a far greater challenge than his previous private driving sessions.

"He's quite brave, really, to come in and share the circuit with the rest of us," said Australian Mark Webber.

Webber will also be on the track with his Williams car and says he and the other drivers won’t really know what to expect from the two-wheel Champion

"The guy has obviously got unbelievable talent, we know that, and he definitely knows which way is up.”

“But to throw him out there on the track with the rest of us...who knows, he's always done surprises so who knows how he will go?”

Webber obviously believes it isn’t the right time for Ferrari to be using Rossi and thinks some of his fellow drivers will agree with him.

"The guys who have been racing for a while are normally not that keen to have guys who don't have that much experience (around)," said the Williams man.

"But it's not like this guy we had in Budapest last year, the Israeli guy, that was a joke, like playing Pete Sampras at Wimbledon in the first round."

Man of Honour
OP
Cosworth aims to beat manufacturers

Cosworth Racing's MD Tim Routsis believes that as Formula 1's only independent engine builder Williams's supplier is capable of fighting the might of the manufacturers in 2006.

Cosworth pulled off something of a coup when it signed with the team for 2006 after Williams spilt from long-term engine partner BMW last summer.

But Routsis claims that while Cosworth does not have access to the sort of budgets available to Toyota, Honda and Ferrari, the company's vast experience and knowledge of V8s will allow it to compete on an even footing.

"I think it is very important that we recognise the ability to spend money is quite different from ability full stop," said Routsis at the launch of Williams' FW28 on Friday.

"Having a very large budget does give you the ability to make a lot of mistakes, but it does not massively protect you against an organisation that may come upon the right answer through sheer blind luck or ability.

"Cosworth has been competing against all these manufacturers in F1 today all around the world.

"And I think it is fair to say that we have always had a lesser budget than the opposition and we have pretty consistently demonstrated the ability to take the fight to them and win our fair share."

The length of Cosworth's deal with Williams remains undisclosed although the team has been linked to a free supply of Toyota engines in 2007.

Routsis claims that it is Cosworth's intention to remain in F1 beyond this year, and says he hopes it will be with Williams.

"My job as head of Cosworth is to deliver the sort of performance in the early part of the year that makes it bloody hard for them to want to go anywhere else," he said.

Associate
Apologies if its already been answered but whats the score with the new Mclaren. My dad mentioned and I've seen a piccy and its orange???? Is this just a test piccy/setup or do they have a new sponsor?

Man of Honour
OP
1ofaKind said:
Apologies if its already been answered but whats the score with the new Mclaren. My dad mentioned and I've seen a piccy and its orange???? Is this just a test piccy/setup or do they have a new sponsor?

It's their traditional colour - goes back to the Bruce McLaren Can-Am cars.

McLaren have used that colourscheme in testing before - when they went from Marlbro to West they were orange for the test season before unveiling their simply lovely silver, black and red scheme.

Now - West has gone and they currently have no title sponsor *but there are many rumours of Vodafone signing on a year early* so they've gone back to orange while testing again.

We'll find out the full colourscheme next month when the car/team is officially unveilled.

BTW - title sponsors are the ones who pay the most for their names to be included with the teams - like Marlbro Scuderiea Ferrari, West McLaren Mercedes, Lucky Strike BAR Honda etc...

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
Bridgestone confirms Super Aguri deal

Bridgestone Motorsport has announced that it has entered into a multi-year agreement with the Super Aguri F1 Team for the supply of Bridgestone Potenza Formula One tyres. The agreement will commence immediately and the team is expected to run for the first time on Bridgestone F1 tyres at a shakedown test in February.

Hiroshi Yasukawa, Director of Bridgestone Motorsport commented: "The Super Aguri F1 team is a new but ambitious team and we are delighted that it has chosen Bridgestone to be its official supplier. Working with a new team that is making its debut in the FIA Formula One World Championship is an extremely exciting prospect. Bridgestone has had a long relationship with the team's founder, Aguri Suzuki, spanning more than twenty years and encompassing numerous motorsport series. Consequently, we have every confidence in his ability and desire to run a successful and professional team.

"The Super Aguri F1 team's inaugural season will not be an easy one but we wish them the very best of luck in 2006 and we look forward to seeing them in action shortly."

Man of Honour
OP
ashtray_head said:
ok, so how do people this Rossi will go against the regulars?

I think he'll do ok, will raise a few eyebrows me thinks

It's going to be interesting.

He was only a second off Schumacher in his first test and he's had several more since then.

Will he be running the 2005, 2004 or 248 F1? I think he's due to be in the 2004 car with a V8 bolted to it.

Suspect that he will be mid table - will be pleasently surprised if he's quicker. No idea what he'll be doing though. Tyre testign or V8 mileage is likely.

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
Red Bull can win in '07 - Berger

F1 team Red Bull Racing can expect to be winning grands prix in 2007.

That is the claim of team owner Dietrich Mateschitz's Austrian countryman Gerhard Berger, the former ten time Formula One winner.

46-year-old Berger told Austria's 'Trend' magazine that Mateschitz did everything right in the first year after taking over the failed Jaguar team.

And, credibility retained, Red Bull now resembles a winning team, with former McLaren trio David Coulthard, Adrian Newey and Peter Prodromou all set to again start shining.

'In 2007 they will be playing a game that they can win,' said Berger.

Soldato
Flibster said:
It's going to be interesting.

He was only a second off Schumacher in his first test and he's had several more since then.

Will he be running the 2005, 2004 or 248 F1? I think he's due to be in the 2004 car with a V8 bolted to it.

Suspect that he will be mid table - will be pleasently surprised if he's quicker. No idea what he'll be doing though. Tyre testign or V8 mileage is likely.

Simon/~Flibster

F1 would be a better place with a character like Valentino in the paddock

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Seamless shift the way to go

'Seamless' gearboxes will soon become commonplace in formula one.

That is the claim of Williams' technical director Sam Michael, who admitted that more than one F1 rival already raced the pioneering technology in 2005.

Williams' seamless 'box will not be ready until later this year, but sources suggested that Renault and McLaren - and possibly Toyota - used variants of continuous-power gearboxes throughout last year.

''I believe all the teams are looking into it,'' Australia's Michael, 34 years old, said.

A seamless transmission is able to change gear without needing to momentarily 'blip' the engine.

It is therefore an advantage both in terms of acceleration but also in reaching high speeds.

Michael continued: ''I think that within twelve months, everyone will be using this technology.''

I think that McLaren and BAR used the last year. *It's how Raikkonen could change gear mid corner*

Renault - possibly
Toyota - No idea

Back
Top Bottom