2005/2006 F1 News and Testing.

Man of Honour
OP
The Renault RS26 V8

- The 90° architecture imposed by the regulations, represents a change relative to the 72° V10 used by Renault in 2004 and 2005.

- For the first time, engine minimum weight and the position of the centre of gravity are specified in the rules. The regulation minimum weight limit is 95kg. Renault F1 Team has worked intensively between Enstone and Viry to integrate this new constraint. The RS26 is designed to conform with the new rules.

- There is a power loss relative to the V10 used in 2005 of approximately 20% proportional to the reduction in engine capacity. The elimination of variable trumpets degrades the power delivery and the width of the power curve. This is the starting point for 2.4L V8 performance development.

- The narrower power band and reduced power will oblige the drivers to be closer to the rev limit more of the time: according to the nature of the circuit, the average revs will be 300 or 400 rpm closer to maximum revs..

- The time spent at full throttle will also increase relative to 2005, owing to the reduced power levels combined with improved aero performance and better tyre grip.

- Vibrations are often mentioned in connection with the V8. A distinction must be made between internal and external vibrations. The first concern primarily the torsional vibrations of the engine’s internal moving parts. These are fundamental to engine development, and they can depend on factors such as the firing order. The external vibrations are partly a consequence of the internal vibrations, and can be minimised according to how the crankshaft is balanced. In the car, external vibrations are those felt by the chassis components and the driver.

- In order to use the available power in an optimum fashion, Renault will use a 7-speed gearbox for the first time.

- Had the V8 engines been used in an identical fashion to the V10, fuel consumption would have reduced proportionally to the reduced engine capacity. However, because the new engines will spend more time at higher revs and full throttle, the reduction in fuel consumption will not be so great.

Technical specifications

Capacity: 2400 cc
Architecture: 90° V8
Weight: 95 kg
Spark plugs: Champion
ECU: Magneti Marelli Step 11
Fuel: Elf
Oil: Elf
Battery: Renault F1 Team

Optimum integration in the R26 chassis for improved stiffness and packaging. Reliability of more than 1200 km for life cycle of two race weekends.

Man of Honour
OP
Renault begin search for successor

"We will have a good team in 2007 also," team president Patrick Faure told reporters at the launch of the Formula One champion manufacturer's new car in Monaco on Tuesday.

Asked how they planned to fill the gap left by Alonso's decision to move to McLaren, and whether Renault intended to sign a 'superstar driver', he made clear that the team's spending power was limited.

"I wouldn't say that we have the budget to find the best drivers. I think we have a special talent to find new, very talented young drivers," Faure said.

"We will see with Kovalainen now and we may have some ideas for the future also with some young people," he added.

"I prefer, if I can, to create new stars than to buy them on the market, if possible. That's our policy and that's what we'd like to do in the future also. We like to create them, as we have created Alonso."

The 24-year-old Kovalainen is a Renault Development Driver who was runner-up in last year's GP2 feeder series and also beat Ferrari's Michael Schumacher and rally champion Sebastien Loeb in a 'Race of Champions' in Paris in 2004.

Spaniard Alonso joined Renault as a test driver in 2002 after a race debut with Minardi the previous season and, aged 24, became Formula One's youngest champion last year.

He stunned the sport in December when McLaren, Renault's closest rivals on the track in 2005, announced he would be joining them for the 2007 season.

FISICHELLA CONFIDENT

Faure said Alonso's Italian team mate Giancarlo Fisichella could also come into his own after a disappointing 2005 for the 33-year-old Roman.

The elation of winning the Australian season-opener evaporated with a series of non-finishes, but Fisichella is confident he can do far better this year and secure a contract extension.

"Fernando has proved this year that he was an extremely good driver, really top," Faure said.

"It's an enormous help for a team to have someone at this level.

"But I believe that Giancarlo now will be more integrated in the team than he has been last year. It was his first year of coming back and Fernando had been here for four years so he knew everybody.

"Now Giancarlo knows everybody, I think he will do a good championship in 2006 and I am waiting with a lot of impatience to see what Heikki Kovalainen is doing in the tests this year."

Fisichella returned to Renault last year after racing for Benetton, the team they took over, from 1998 to the end of 2001.

As champions, Renault will not be allowed a third car in Friday practice at grand prix weekends but Kovalainen will be the main test and reserve driver throughout the season.

Man of Honour
OP
Mild Seven confirms F1 pullout

Mild Seven has announced their official withdrawal from Formula One sponsorship. On the day the Renault F1 team launched their new 2006 contender, Mild Seven’s parent company, Japan Tobacco, confirmed that this would be their final season sponsoring the French based squad.

“Japan Tobacco Inc. looks forward to another great year of racing and wishes the Mild Seven Renault F1 Team well in this final year of the company's Formula One sponsorship,” they said in a statement.

JT originally ventured into F1 sponsorship in 1992, before embarking upon title sponsorship with Mild Seven, now the world's second best selling cigarette brand, with the Benetton Team in 1994. The company continued its sponsorship with Renault when it returned to F1 in 2002, making Mild Seven's continuous title sponsorship the longest one in F1 history.

In 2005, the Mild Seven Renault F1 Team was applauded when it became the Constructor's Champion, while Spaniard Fernando Alonso became the youngest driver to take home the Driver's Championship title. This double glory was the company's second achievement since 1995 with the Mild Seven Benetton Renault team and its driver Michael Schumacher.

It now is JT's hope that the team will crown its final year of sponsorship with another perfection, while the company maintains its pledge to end its motor sports sponsorship in compliance with the "International Tobacco Products Marketing Standards (IMS) ," of which JT is one of the co-authors.

"It has always been our greatest pleasure to work with such a committed partner as the Renault F1 Team. Thanks to the team's remarkable achievements, with their expertise and cutting-edge technologies, the Mild Seven brand name and its Blue Wind logo are now among the most recognizable brands in the world," said Seigo Nishizawa, JT Executive Deputy President and President of the Tobacco Business. "I wish the team the greatest successes with us in 2006 and also for many years to come."

Man of Honour
OP
Renault could have done more to keep me

After the RenaultF1 team launched their new contender for the upcoming 2006 championship season, the one they hope will defend their crowns, it was only natural that journalists took the opportunity to talk to Fernando Alonso about his move to McLaren next year, a situation that took the F1 world by storm last month. However, his response was not what anyone expected, least of all Renault bosses…

“Renault probably could have done more but that is between me and the team. It was not the money, it was more to do with the future,” he revealed. “But I am not leaving Renault in a bad way before the end of my contract. Everybody in the team understands that. I have finished this stage of my career. I arrived here in 2002 and we have grown up together and last year we reached our maximum target by winning both championships. I am the sort of guy who needs new challenges so maybe it will be the same at the end of 2009.”

Those comments came as a surprise to Renault boss Patrick Faure…

“Alonso did not say that to us,” he said. “There was no approach from him and no talks.”

Team boss Flavio Briatore has said all along that he did not aid Alonso in his move to leave the French based squad or for that matter, know of the deal before it happened, something many found hard to believe knowing he was the drivers manager. However while Alonso admitted to the press that Briatore was still his manager, the team boss insisted that he played no active role in the switch. That said however, he supports the move to Woking…

"I'm employed by Renault and I don't have any input into the management company," he explained. "But Fernando has been with Renault for four years and he needs a new challenge. From the sport point of view I don't have any problem with that."

Man of Honour
OP
A fourth Spanish test track

A fourth Spanish test circuit could soon be hosting formula one race teams, it is reported. The television station 'La Otra' claimed this week that a F1-standard track on the Spanish coast, not far from the Portuguese border, is now under construction and should be ready by the start of next season.

Spanish circuits Barcelona, Jerez and Valencia presently host the majority of F1 test action.

Man of Honour
OP
Zim to sponsor MF1 Racing

An Israeli shipping company called Zim is to sponsor MF1 Racing this year.
The company will appear on the nose of the new M16 chassis. The company has plans to become a global shipping and logistics company.

Zim is owned by the Ofer Brothers, some of the richest Israeli entrepreneurs, who are based in London.

It is believed that the deal involves commercial deals between Zim and Alex Shnaider, the owner of Midland as both are heavily involved in shipping.

Shnaider spent part of his youth in Israel and now owns the Dan Michzur metal recycling business based in Israel.

Man of Honour
OP
Haug denies driver unrest

Norbert Haug has attempted to allay suspicions that not all is well within the silver McLaren-Mercedes camp.

Mercedes' 53-year-old racing chief denied claims of unrest within the cockpit -- both Kimi Raikkonen and Juan Pablo Montoya, it is reported, may be unhappy and both intending to leave the Woking based team for 2007. "I have spoken to them both,"

Germany's Haug told the 'Sport Informations Dienst' agency, "and they said they were concentrating on what is important for 2006 before thinking about what comes (in the future)."

The alleged driver unrest follows the McLaren signing of Renault's Fernando Alonso for 2007, and Colombian Montoya's claim that he is therefore on the market.

Raikkonen, too, is reportedly either already signed up to switch to Ferrari next year, or now even more motivated to make the move official. He was quoted recently as criticising Mercedes' progress with its new V8.
But Haug says: "In formula one there is always speculation and always criticism. The truth is, Kimi and Juan Pablo will do their talking on the race track."

Germany's Bild newspaper, meanwhile, claimed that the team's unreliable 2.4 litre engine will miss rivals' pace by around 20 horse power at the start of the 2006 season.

Man of Honour
OP
MF1 Racing praises Toyota

Just like last year MF1 Racing will be racing with Toyota engines. The 2005 season was characterised by the superb finishing record of the EJ15, owing in so small part to the reliability of Toyota's V10. This year Toyota will deliver the team V8 engines.

Toyota was among the first manufacturers to get its prototype V8 onto the track, and was also the first to test it in a definitive 2006 car, way back in November. MF1 will clearly benefit from the extensive development already performed by Toyota engine wizard Luca Marmorini and his team.

"Toyota are fantastic," says MF1 Sporting Director Adrian Burgess. "The service we get from a customer point of view is second to none. You couldn't go and buy a better package than what we've got. The fact that they are such a big and committed team obviously helps us, as we quickly see the results of the development they're putting into their own engine.

"They have so much technology and so many resources that are becoming more and more available to us as our relationship with Toyota grows. Some of the things that are being offered to us are fantastic, and I could not imagine receiving that sort of technical support from another supplier."

Having a second team on the grid will, of course, enable Toyota to amass a lot of mileage with the V8, and that, in turn, will speed up development. "For sure," says Burgess. "We experienced issues with our engine last year that they learned from, and it helped them to improve their engine. All the information we gather is useful to them, as well."

MF1's design team were given the dimensions and specifications of the new engine at a very early stage, allowing them to develop the new M16 around it. In contrast, last year's Toyota V10 had to be shoehorned into a modified Jordan chassis that had originally been designed to take a Cosworth. "Information was exchanged with our drawing office as soon as the deal was confirmed. We've had mock-up engines since around August or September, and we began running it in the interim car in the middle of December. Toyota have been very helpful with our installation."

Of course, one of the most fascinating aspects of the relationship is that the M16 and Toyota's own TF106 will not only be powered by the same engine, the will also run on the same Bridgestone tyres. No other teams in this year's championship share both of those key elements. "It's going to be very interesting," adds Burgess, smiling confidently.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Rossi's disastrous debut

If you read and believe Ferrari's press release, multiple MotoGP champion Valentino Rossi did only one lap at the Valencia group test on Tuesday because it rained.

But that's only half the story.

In fact, the 26-year-old Italian - on his first flier - slid off a curve with wet tyres, and beached his 2004 car in the gravel.

"The track was very wet," team spokesman Luca Colajanni explained. "He just spun off."

Rossi will try again on Wednesday. His slippery first of three days in Spain followed the friendly welcome of countryman and Toyota racer Jarno Trulli, who wrote an open letter to Rossi that was published in La Gazzetta dello Sport.

In a transcript translated from Italian, Trulli wrote:

"I really did not expect that you would want to compare yourself against us yet. Since I am a few years older than you, allow me to give you some advice -- don't look at the stop watch, be calm, try to learn how the car behaves as the fuel goes down, as the tyres wear, how a strategy would play out. Hats off to your courage."

McLaren, Williams and Red Bull were also in action, with Honda pair Rubens Barrichello and Anthony Davidson setting the fastest times.

:D

Man of Honour
OP
Bridgestone Teams to Share Technical Data

All Bridgestone shod teams have signed an unique agreement to share information and work together this year.

Before Williams and Toyota fled the Michelin camp, Ferrari - with only Jordan and Minardi also on Japanese rubber - failed to win a single grand prix on merit in 2005.

Ferrari, Williams, Toyota, Midland and Super Aguri, then, have signed a document that is apparently titled the 'Bridgestone Users Cooperation Pact', under which tyre development information from both races and tests will be collectively pooled and made available to the teams.

The problem with such an agreement, of course, is that firstly it might be seen to most benefit the less competitive teams, while misinformation and deceit could conceivably become an issue should two or more Bridgestone teams emerge as F1 title rivals.

While the true packing order in the new Michelin-Bridgestone fight is not yet known, Williams' technical director reckons he witnessed at least one advantage of switching tyres for the 2006 season.

At the sodden Valencia test on Tuesday, Sam Michael said: "It was evident from the lap times ... that Bridgestone have an advantage in wet conditions."

Man of Honour
OP
I Left Ferrari to Become World Champion

Rubens Barrichello thinks his new Honda 'RA106' will be up to the task of winning races.

The 33-year-old Brazilian, who has switched from Ferrari after six years of being Michael Schumacher's number two, has been one of the revelations of recent winter tests, and tasted the top of the times on the first day at Valencia this week.

Rubens, who initially spent a day in the 2005 BAR, told Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport: "The car is good -- better than last year's. In my opinion, I will be able to fight for victories with this car.

"I am very ambitious and I left Ferrari because I want to finally become champion."

Even with the highly rated Jenson Button as teammate, Barrichello - who won 9 races for Ferrari - is gushing about his new Honda team.

In an exclusive translation of the interview, 'RB' continued: "With Honda, I can win. Everything I have seen so far confirms this feeling -- the people are motivated, the team has the financial and technical means, and the RA106, from the very first lap, has shown as one of the quickest."

Man of Honour
OP
'I Have Nothing to Say About It'

World champion Fernando Alonso was the centre of attention at Renault's Tuesday launch.

But, curiously at Monaco's Grimaldi Forum on the Monte Carlo waterfront, hardly a single member of the world's media noticed a little detail on his left hand -- an engagement ring.

The 24-year-old Spaniard said: "I have nothing to say about it."

Late last year, Alonso was spotted out and about with Raquel Rosario, singer for the Spanish band Morpheus's Dream. He split with former girlfriend Carolina in August 2005.

The talented grand prix driver made it clear that he does not enjoy certain aspects of the media's interest in him.

"It's not possible for me to just go out for dinner in Spain anymore," Alonso explained.

Poor bugger - getting married...

Man of Honour
OP
Renault President Set to Retire

Renault president Patrick Faure will retire at the end of 2006.

The Frenchman, who said he turns 60 later this year, informed reporters at the launch of the team's new 'R26' grand prix car in Monte Carlo.

"I dedicated twenty one years of my life to formula one," Faure said.

Team principal Flavio Briatore's contract, too, expires at the end of 2006, but the fifty-five year-old Italian wasn't giving anything away.

He told reporters: "This isn't the moment to discuss it. We are focused on the season ahead."

Considering he was pretty much running the F1 show...the likleyhood of Renault remaining in F1 past 2007 decreases

Man of Honour
OP
400 Million Viewers Prepare for F1's First Race of the Year

The countdown has begun to the start of the 2006 FIA Formula One World Championship. Around the world 400 million viewers are preparing for the drama and excitement, the speed and colour of the first race of the year – and, for the first time in the championship’s history, that race will be staged in the Kingdom of Bahrain.

The honour of opening the 2006 season is yet another distinction awarded to the ‘desert Grand Prix’.

In just three years the Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix has become established as one of the most eagerly-anticipated events of the year for the fans, competitors and organisers alike. The spectacular Bahrain International Circuit, combined with the friendliness and hospitality of the Bahraini people and the efficiency of the organisation meant that in 2004, after the inaugural Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix, the organisers at Bahrain International Circuit were honoured with the FIA Race Promoters’ Trophy for the best Grand Prix of the year.

It was in 2002 that the vision of His Highness the Crown Prince Shaikh Salman bin Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, to hold a round of the World Championship, became a reality and the construction of Bahrain International Circuit began.

On April 4 2004 the inaugural Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix was staged, and the eyes of the world saw Bahrain resplendent as Formula One’s new home in the Middle East when Michael Schumacher’s Ferrari took a resounding victory on his way to a record seventh world championship title.

Moreover the race delivered His Highness the Crown Prince’s vision to use the Grand Prix as a catalyst to generate trade, tourism and awareness, to harness the minds of the world’s opinion leaders and formers and bring multi-million dollar businesses to Bahrain. The 2005 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix again produced a majestic performance from the man destined to take the world championship title at the end of the year: Renault’s young lion Fernando Alonso.

Worldwide the enthusiasm for the Bahrain Grand Prix grew still further and the event was used to showcase the economic development taking place throughout the Kingdom.

Now in 2006 the countdown is underway for the biggest and best Bahrain Grand Prix so far, an event befitting the honour of starting the new season, in a year when expectations for an all- action FIA Formula One World Championship are at an all-time high.

Man of Honour
Flibster said:
Considering he was pretty much running the F1 show...the likleyhood of Renault remaining in F1 past 2007 decreases

I think Faure is the only thing really preventing the Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn (sp?) pulling the plug. Ghosn is far from a fan of the F1 programme and would rather concentrate on the road car operation than F1.

I wouldn't be surprised if they take the opportunity of objecting to a truce between the GPMA and Bernie and go off in a huff.

Man of Honour
OP
rpstewart said:
I think Faure is the only thing really preventing the Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn (sp?) pulling the plug. Ghosn is far from a fan of the F1 programme and would rather concentrate on the road car operation than F1.

I wouldn't be surprised if they take the opportunity of objecting to a truce between the GPMA and Bernie and go off in a huff.

Gohsn is now saying that once is not enough *I hope he's referring to winning the championship..*

So I have no idea whats going through his mind.
But as for pulling out - it's looking more and more likely. :(

Which means a return for Mechachrome engines..oh crap.

Hi-res Pictures of the R26 at the launch are now uploading also.

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
r26-12.jpeg

r26-13.jpeg

r26-14.jpeg

r26-15.jpeg

r26-16.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom