2005 A1GP Championship - Round 1 - Brands Hatch

Where?

There's the button to see the "view live race stats" which so far hasn't been updated live...

And apparently Sheikh Maktoum threw a absolute wobbler after the TV coverage - apparently several arses were given a hiding. :D

He really wants this series to work. I don't blame him - the races should be superb but if the TV coverage is bad, fewer people will go and see it live.

Simon/~Flibster

Managed to catch some highlights yesterday, and I do admit the coverage was rubbish, amazing how it looks parp if it's just a screen of a car going by, I want to see timings !

2005 A1GP Championship - Round 1
Brands Hatch - Sprint Race Grid

Code:
[b]Pos	A1 Team		Driver			Aggregate[/b]
1	Brazil		Nelson Piquet Jr	2.30.789 
2	New Zealand	Matt Halliday		2.31.117 
3	France		Alexandre Premat	2.31.206 
4	Australia	Will Power		2.31.388 
5	Great Britain	Robbie Kerr		2.31.714 
6	Switzerland	Neel Jani		2.31.729 
7	Mexico		Salvador Duran		2.32.307 
8	Pakistan	Adam Khan		2.32.596 
9	Malaysia	Alex Yoong		2.32.632 
10	Japan		Ryo Fukuda		2.32.689 
11	Portugal	Alvaro Parente		2.32.705 
12	Ireland		Michael Devaney		2.32.811 
13	Germany		Timo Scheider		2.32.981 
14	Netherlands	Jos Verstappen		2.33.075 
15	South Africa	Stephen Simpson		2.33.086 
16	Italy		Enrico Toccacelo	2.33.232 
17	USA		Scott Speed		2.33.317 
18	Indonesia	Ananda Mikola		2.33.424 
19	India		Karun Chandhok		2.34.126 
20	Czech Republic	Jan Charouz		2.34.786 
21	Canada		Sean McIntosh		2.36.656 
22	Austria		Mathias Lauda		2.36.878 
23	Lebanon		Khalil Beschir		2.37.104 
24	China		Tengyi Jiang		2.38.750 
25	Russia		Alexey Vasiliev		2.41.303

The driver who took part in qualifying may not be the one who competes in both races. Any of the A1 Team’s drivers that have set a practice time within 102 per cent of the team’s fastest qualifying lap are in with a chance to race.

All the A1 Teams will use the drivers who qualified today for both of tomorrow’s races except for A1 Team Malaysia who will use Fairuz Fauzy for the Sprint race and Alex Yoong for the Feature race.

The Sprint race will be contested over 50 miles lasting up to 30 minutes in duration. With a rolling start at 13.30 BST, tomorrow’s race will be run over 18 laps of the Grand Prix circuit at Brands Hatch. The outcome of the race determines the grid position of the Feature race which will start at 15.00 BST with a standing start. The Feature race will be run over 100 miles (36 laps) lasting up to 60 minutes in duration.

Flibster said:
Pretty much yeah. It essentially the same system. However less of a power boost though.

30bhp instead of 50bhp

Thr rolling start should be good into the first corner. ;)

Simon/~Flibster

I was going to say just the same thing.

A grid full of identical cars with identical engines and a power boost sytem to aid overtaking , it does sound exactly like Palmer Audi when they first started but look what happened to them!!! They went from top class international racing championship with real top class drivers, to a club championship full of wannabes, but won't make it's.

Drivers do not like having nothing to blame.
Imagine them returning to the pits after finishing mid grid,

I didn't win because,
That car has a better chassis,
Or that car has a better engine,
Or that car has a better gearbox, Etc, Etc.

When all these things are equal and only driver skill seperates drivers, they do not like having nothing to blame except themselves when they don't do well, because they can never be wrong or a bad driver. Personally I cannot see this championship lasting many years, I really hope to be proved wrong though.

Finally one other point to mention is that the main difference between the powerboost sytems on Palmer Audi's and A1, are that on the Palmer Audi's the engines are turbocharged and their power boost system adjusts the amount of boost pressure the turbo gives, with a variable waste gate arrangement.
Whereas the A1 system is on a non turbocharged engine and therefore the power boost system adjusts the engine map on the fly to give more power. Hence why it can only give small increases. The Palmer Audi's system could give well over 100bhp more if they wanted too. Now that would be a serious power boost!!!!

I watched the coverage online. Good race, but I was a bit disappointed with the lack of overtaking. Out of the front five cars, there was only one postion change in the whole race.

We will have to see how the feature race goes.

The video feed was good. Windows Media player somehow stretched the original widescreen coverage to 4:3 so its distorted. The biggest problem with the feed is the lack of commentary. You can occasionally hear the commentary that the spectators can hear, but not very often. IMO this should be piped out along with the feed. The actual video coverage of the race was good though. I assume this is the same as what went out on Sky?

Joe T said:
I watched the coverage online. Good race, but I was a bit disappointed with the lack of overtaking. Out of the front five cars, there was only one postion change in the whole race.

We will have to see how the feature race goes.

The video feed was good. Windows Media player somehow stretched the original widescreen coverage to 4:3 so its distorted. The biggest problem with the feed is the lack of commentary. You can occasionally hear the commentary that the spectators can hear, but not very often. IMO this should be piped out along with the feed. The actual video coverage of the race was good though. I assume this is the same as what went out on Sky?

Brands Hatch is crap for overtaking...

Sace the asx file *from the load in an external player* and open it in Media Player Classic - you can then adjust the aspect ratio using the 8, 2, 4 and 6 keys *on the numberpad* to stretch or shrink the screen - if you mess up use 5 to reset

Was the came coverage near enough.

Anyway - I have notes... ;)

Simon/~Flibster

Back
Top Bottom