2005 Hungarian Grand Prix

Man of Honour
OP
Major backers to follow BMW

(GMM) If you listen to the F1 rumour mill, then a lot of cash could walk out of Frank Williams' office door ahead of the 2006 season.

'FedEx' and 'Petrobras', according to speculation, could both switch - with BMW - to Sauber next year. Title sponsor HP may quit F1 altogether.

BMW's Mario Theissen denied, at least, that the new works team will depend on those dollars.

''It was clear that BMW (is) prepared to put up the team with its own financial resources,'' he told formula1.com.

''But I am telling no secret that sponsors are warmly welcomed.''

The 'motor sport director' also scotched talk that he will definitely be team principal. ''This is not the time to speculate about positions,'' Dr Theissen added.

The German even passed on whether the Sauber-BMW alliance will be known simply as 'BMW'.

He said: ''We have some ideas ... but so far these are only ideas.''

One thing, at least, is pretty certain. The alliance with Williams is, simply, over.

Theissen said: ''Success is the best way when it comes to goodbye. We want to finish the partnership on a high, not a low.''

Man of Honour
More opinion than news but it's nice to see how some of the manufacturer's are thinking. I've been advocating the use of 4l engines for some time but with traditional valve springs rather than an enforced rpm limit. It's a good cost cutting measure as all the manufacturers have been able to rev to 15K for 10 years or so now so there's no need to keep spending millions developing low friction components.

Norbert Haug said:
Mercedes Motorsport boss Norbert Haug thinks that bigger capacity engines with more torque could be one way of improving the Formula One show in future years.

Haug, however, said his thoughts should not be interpreted as a criticism of the new 2.4-litre V8 engine formula that comes into effect next season.

"Let me stress, I'm not trying to be controversial and we are committed to the 2.4-litre V8s," Haug said, "but as regards the future of F1 in the long term, perhaps we should look at other solutions when we still have the opportunity.

"I believe that the future may not be 2.4-litre engines revving to 20,000rpm but perhaps bigger capacity engines with a rev limit. Even bigger than we are using now, perhaps. You could even perhaps have something of 4.0-litres restricted to, say, 15,000rpm.

"I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sure that high-revving 2.4s are the way to go. Another solution might give you something that would produce 750bhp and the possibility of 850bhp for a while, via, perhaps, an 'overtaking button' of which a driver is permitted to make limited use, or energy storage.

"That way, I think the possibility might exist to save money as well as to promote better racing."

Soldato
BUTTON SETS THE RECORD STRAIGHT

Button also disputed Williams’ claim that he has changed his mind about where he wants to drive in the space of seven months.

The statement continued: “It has been suggested by Sir Frank Williams that a contract between Jenson and Williams (and there remain outstanding questions as to its validity) was signed seven months ago, which would be in January of this year.

“This is incorrect. There are two documents which are relevant, one dated August 2004, and one dated September 2004.”

Finally, Button claimed he was paid by Williams from 2001-2004 not to enforce a contract entitling him to drive for the Grove-based team.

“Quotes have also been attributed in the media to Sir Frank Williams to say that Williams paid a substantial amount in option money on Jenson in 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004.

“Again, to set the record straight, the facts are as follows: Payments made were not payments made by Williams to retain an option over Jenson's services.

“In fact the payments were quite the opposite. They were payments made by Williams to Jenson in exchange for Jenson agreeing not to enforce a contract which he had entitling him to drive for Williams.”

hmmm its all coming out now :(

Soldato
ashtray_head said:
“In fact the payments were quite the opposite. They were payments made by Williams to Jenson in exchange for Jenson agreeing not to enforce a contract which he had entitling him to drive for Williams.”
Am I reading this right, Williams payed Button so that Button would not come and race for Williams :confused: I wish Williams would pay me not to drive for them, or better yet every team should pay me :o

Soldato
ashtray_head said:
it seems, if this is true that this whole contract thing is a little different now???
It looks like Williams payed him to stay away from them, what a strange world.

I'm getting a little sick and tired of all these rumours etc. I think I will just wait and see who sits in what car at the 1st race next year :p

Man of Honour
OP
Interesting....

www.redbullracing.com said:
CHRISTIAN KLIEN TO RACE IN NEXT TWO GRANDS PRIX

Following recent speculation in the media, Red Bull Racing confirm that Christian Klien will continue to race for the team alongside David Coulthard for the next two Grands Prix in Turkey and Monza, with Tonio Liuzzi continuing as third driver.

So Liuzzi isn't going to race in his home GP...think we've found out who's getting the no2 drive next year then....

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
Of the two I would take Klien, his performances in the first four races were excellent. Luizzi didn't really impress during his stint. Klien hasn't been as good of late but I think he'll come back to where he was earlier in the year.

Given that the pair of them share a house it's going to be a little frosty when they announce the line up for next year.

Man of Honour
OP
Agree totally.

Liuzzi has been a dissapointment with a bad mullet...

Anyway...more news...

Ferrari to let Rubens go

Ferrari will not prevent Rubens Barrichello from leaving the team at the end of the season. As speculation of a BAR switch heated up in Hungary, scarlet principal Jean Todt said he would now stage an urgent meeting with the Brazilian driver 'to make him happy.

"If Rubens tells me he would be happier somewhere else," said the diminutive chief, "then I want to make him happy."

Todt hinted that the Barrichello situation is something of a priority for him. He added: "It will happen in the coming days."

A prized commodity inside Ferrari is the apolitical and harmonious environment; something obviously threatened by 33-year-old Rubens' purported desire to leave.

Indeed, the experienced racer told Gazzetta dello Sport that Nelson Piquet's Hungarian bombshell has 'created problems' in the team. Jean Todt now replies: "I give priority to things that make us win -- I'm not interested in pressure and tension."

Man of Honour
OP
New engines for BAR for China...

http://www.gp2005.com/ said:
1,000 horses for China?

We announced it last week, and Geoff Willis, technical director at BAR-Honda confirmed it: the 007s driven by Jenson Button and Takuma Sato will have a very advanced V10. There is talk of 1,000 horsepower.

The objective: make a big impression in this high-potential country where market share is even less expensive than in the United States, for example. It's-known to be an established tradition with Honda: stepping up each engine one last time for the Japanese Grand Prix, to wow the fans, customers, and employees of the company. This time there will be one change for Suzuka and another for China, which is closing out the season on October 16!

Backstage in Budapest, there was also talk of giving Jenson Button the chance to win, enabling him to get out of his contract with Williams for 2006 and 2007 easier (yes its for two years!).

The driver also brought up the question in a press conference: “I am in my sixth season in Formula 1 and I haven’t won a race yes. People have to realize that that’s important…” Message received: Honda will try to give Jenson the chance to fight for a win starting in late summer.

Soldato
the 007s driven by Jenson Button and Takuma Sato will have a very advanced V10. There is talk of 1,000 horsepower.

The objective: make a big impression in this high-potential country
Lets hope the big impression isn't two engine exploding, 1000bhp seems a lot though, I thought that engine were not even over 900bhp now :confused:

Man of Honour
I think the 1000bhp one is a one race only engine and as such will only see the light of day if the team are entitled to a new engine at Shaghai. From what I've heard to do that they need to run problem free between now and then, which, judging by past, performance seems to be possible.

Soldato
Well, it's been confirmed on numerous sites including atlas and pitpass that Rubens is OUT and Massa is in at Ferrari next year! Woo!
Think Massa has been a top driver this year and look forward to him being in a "top" seat! :D

Man of Honour
Full text from Autosport.

Felipe Massa will drive for the Ferrari team in 2006, replacing Brazilian Rubens Barrichello, the team confirmed on Tuesday.

Barrichello is expected to join the BAR team.

Massa currently drives for Sauber, but he was Ferrari's test driver in 2003. The Brazilian will partner World Champion Michael Schumacher.

Ferrari said they had taken up a renewable option in a contract that dates back to 2001.

"I am very happy and proud to be racing with Ferrari in 2006," said Massa. "Maranello has believed in me since 2001, when I had yet to make my Formula One debut. Now, I am in my third season as a Sauber driver and I can also count on a year's experience as a Ferrari test driver, an experience which helped me to grow a great deal.

"I feel ready for this new challenge, which is the best opportunity of my career. I am aware of the responsibility it places on me and I cannot wait to be part of a team like Ferrari, alongside the best driver in the world, Michael Schumacher.

"I wish to thank Peter Sauber for having had faith in me over these past three years. I will do my very best in the final six races of the season to get the best possible results for his team."

Back
Top Bottom