2005 Hungarian Grand Prix

Man of Honour
OP
Good for Massa....

Very good for Barrichello *he's out of Ferrari...*

Undecided if it's good for Ferrari though...Massa is a definate No2 driver. They must be getting him used to Ferrari before they bring the new No1 in.. *Button/Raikkonen/Alonso....*

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
Flibster said:
Very good for Barrichello *he's out of Ferrari...*

Agreed, it's about time that Barichello had a chance to prove himself, he was still the wet behind the ears No 2 at both Jordan and Stewart and of course at Ferrari anyone other than MS is lower than shark doo doos....

Next year could well be a make or break year for Taku though, if RB is consistently quicker than JB then I don't think even his nationality will save Taku's seat. I could see BAR going for another recognised top driver if they seriously want to challenge for honours.

Soldato
I rate Massa quite highly, he was very quick in the junior formulae he raced in and although he had a poor debut year, he was quick.
Now he is not only quick, he clearly has the better of a certain 97 WDC, but he is consistant and can keep a level head.
Meanhwile Villeneuve still thinks he's at the funfair in the bumper cars... :D

I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Man of Honour
OP
More news...

'06 Indy still not on - 04 August 2005
Indianapolis officials still have not decided if F1 will be invited back to the irritated 'Brickyard' next year.

Speedway president Joie Chitwood admitted that the memories of booing fans and flying beer bottles at the sight of the 2005 US grand prix have not yet abandoned him.

'We have to make sure having (it) is good for us,' he told the St Petersburg Times newspaper, 'the city ... and the fans.

'We have to make the right decision for all involved,' Joie said, 'and right now we're seeing if it's possible.'

The tricky thing for Indianapolis is the significant investment made at the venue for F1, not to mention a signed 2006 contract.

Chitwood added: 'We're not looking for it to be over yet.'

In Indy's favour, though, is the Speedway's commitment - and appeal - to the sport run by Bernie Ecclestone. The Speedway's president doesn't think a US GP would work elsewhere.

He added: 'I'm not sure a race in Las Vegas or wherever would really match up to what we have.'

Man of Honour
OP
More news...

Rubens has 'multi year' deal - 04 August 2005
Departing Ferrari driver Rubens Barrichello has already signed a contract to race elsewhere next year and beyond.

The Maranello marque's president, Luca di Montezemolo, let the news slip by referring to the Brazilian's acceptance of a 'multi year' contract, no doubt at Honda-powered team BAR.

Barrichello, 33, was contracted at Ferrari for 2006 only.

His replacement and young countryman Felipe Massa, on the other hand, has - significantly - only signed a one year deal, perhaps putting into context Valentino Rossi's new Ferrari test and similar '06 MotoGP ride.

Pressed on the subject, 24-year-old Massa said: 'Results are more important than contract lengths.'

With that, he laid out the plan for 2007, where he still expects to be fighting at the top - 'I hope to battle (title challengers) Kimi (Räikkönen) and (Fernando) Alonso.'

Massa has, though, already attracted a doubter. Five grand prix winner of the 70s and 80s, John Watson, told the BBC that Ferrari - who he said could not attract a top driver to be Michael Schumacher's teammate - will be 'weaker' without Barrichello.

And on Felipe Massa, the Ulsterman said: 'Obviously he's capable, but he looks like a chubby kid (and) he used to drive like a on-off switch.'

Man of Honour
OP
http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=94703 said:
Button threatens sabbatical

Jenson Button has reportedly fired a warning at Frank Williams -- let me stay at BAR, or I'll spend the year on the F1 bench. F1 impresario Bernie Ecclestone rubbished the suggestion as media mischief-making. "There's no danger of that happening," the 74-year-old billionaire told the Mirror newspaper. He said: "He has a contract. We need a British driver in F1."

25-year-old Button's warning is evidently in reaction to Williams' stated intention to haul the Englishman back to Grove, even against his wishes.

JB's current boss, BAR principal Nick Fry, may be about to lose his man, but the clichés keep coming -- the contractual adversity, Fry said, is making Jenson 'stronger.' "People who take a few knocks often come out the stronger," the Briton added.

Fry urged the public and media to cut Button, who drove the 'maglev' train in Shanghai at 430kmh on Wednesday, a little bit of slack after also bungling his contracts last year and appearing disloyal and fickle. "He's a race car driver," said Nick. "I think it's very harsh to point the finger."

Man of Honour
OP
And what a surprise...

Williams and Cosworth announce new deal
V8 Cosworth power for Williams in 2006

A new chapter for Williams with Cosworth

After months of rumour and speculation, WilliamsF1 and Cosworth today announced a wide-ranging partnership agreement for the provision and development of V8 engines for WilliamsF1’s entry in the Formula One World Championship.

The partnership is not based on a traditional engine supply agreement; both WilliamsF1 and Cosworth will invest in the programme, underlining both parties’ commitment to success. Moreover, the scope of the collaboration includes not just the engine as an isolated element of a race car, but extends to a complete programme of design and development of the entire drivetrain package (spanning engine, transmission, associated electronics, software and installation architecture). WilliamsF1 has conducted a thorough assessment of the various partnership options available for next season and has been delighted to conclude that the depth of Cosworth knowledge and expertise in V8 development clearly presents the most competitive opportunity for the team and its sponsors.

Cosworth is well advanced in the development of its Formula One V8 engine, having routinely exceeded 20,000 rpm during dyno testing since April 2005 at its Northampton headquarters. The two British companies which are separated by 36 miles, both have distinguished pedigrees in their respective spheres. Together they aim to put British excellence at the front of the Formula One grid next season.

Frank Williams, WilliamsF1’s Team Principal
“Cosworth is a leading global authority on V8 engine technology. Next year is a brand new start for all concerned given 16 years of V10 engines. Some teams and manufacturers have absolutely no experience of V8s while others enjoy only limited experience. Cosworth, however, have excelled both historically, as well as in contemporary V8-powered international motorsport. The evidence of Cosworth’s V8 progress we have seen so far validates completely the expectation we have of enjoying a class-leading package given next season’s engine rule changes.”

Tim Routsis, Cosworth’s CEO
“Our experience and track record with V8 engines is unrivalled and we are naturally delighted to be alongside one of the most uncompromising and pure-spirited teams in Formula One. We have been working on the development of next year’s V8 since April 2004 and right from the onset, our performance targets have been set very aggressively. We are confident that our blue-chip partnership with WilliamsF1 can augment the record of winning the championship every decade since the 1960s. We have developed the 2006 Cosworth V8-CA engine with nothing but front-running success in mind for both the near and long-term. The involvement of Cosworth’s sister company, Pi, has been instrumental in achieving this outcome.”

Patrick Head, WilliamsF1’s Director of Engineering
“Williams has made this partnership decision purely on technical merit. Among the range of options we considered, Cosworth are very well advanced with existing development and are committed to taking the potential of this collaboration further. Our engineers have already reflected on the very productive and highly motivated nature of the relationship between our two organisations. We speak the same racing language and both have something to prove next year and there can be no greater motivation to succeed.”

Man of Honour
Flibster said:
Undecided if it's good for Ferrari though...Massa is a definate No2 driver. They must be getting him used to Ferrari before they bring the new No1 in.. *Button/Raikkonen/Alonso....*
I hope they don't get any of those three.

They're all decent guys and good drivers. Would make Ferrari a little more difficult to hate :(

Associate
Flibster, it's taken a while for the official Williams/Cosworth announcement hasn't it. When I posted about it a few weeks ago I'd been told by someone who works there (but told not to tell anyone until it had been made public LOL)

Man of Honour
OP
Got that on my phone on the way to work. Multi year deal as well..

Wouldn't surprise me if he's being payed less at BAR than he was at Ferrari for No1 Status.

Good move by BAR. Good solid driver. Ideal No1 if/when Button goes...

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
SkodaMan said:
Flibster, it's taken a while for the official Williams/Cosworth announcement hasn't it. When I posted about it a few weeks ago I'd been told by someone who works there (but told not to tell anyone until it had been made public LOL)

Certainly has - I'd been predicting it for a long time before that as the only sensible choice for Williams.

Wonder if they were just finalising the details. :confused:

Wouldn't be the first time a team has signed a statement of intent before finalising the details and then signing the contract.

It's not a customer engine deal by any stretch of the imagination - it's a partnership. Williams will be well involved with the development of the engines. Wouldn't surprise me if Williams have options beyond 2006 for Cosworth engines.

The engine could be the engine to have next year - who else has that much experience with Racing V8's? No one. From the DFV in 1966 to the last V8 to win the world championship as well in 1994...

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
Flibster said:
The engine could be the engine to have next year - who else has that much experience with Racing V8's? No one. From the DFV in 1966 to the last V8 to win the world championship as well in 1994...

Simon/~Flibster

Yeah, was thinking about that one myself last night, off the top of my head I can't recall anyone racing a V8 successfully other than Cosworth/Ford.

Couldn't think of anyone running a V8 post 1989, other than possibly Hart/Judd. All the turbos were V6 or straight 4 IIRC and before that you either ran a DFV or an exotic Italian V12 / flat 12 (unless of course you're BRM and then anything less than 16 is just too small :D )

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That was Max's plan, in his eyes that was all that was required so in theory costs would be low but in his usual blinkered way he's completely missed the fact that the crank is now 20% smaller hence the rev limits have risen which means spending money to ensure that the engine can last at those sorts of revs.

The other option is the Ferrari one, don't touch the block and run a V10 with only 8 pistons.

Back
Top Bottom