2005 United States Grand Prix

Soldato
Fire 1 said:
The fans are not getting told the whole story. Paul Stoddart started by saying that it was Ferrari that didn't agree to the chicane. Then later on during the race he then said that it was Jordan who didn't agree.

I think you've mis-understood two different quotes. Both are true but not related.

The jordan quote refers to the fact that they agreed not to race if the chicane wasn't in place even though their bridgestone tires had no problems running the full race at race pace. Jordan went back on this agreement and "forced" Stoddart to run his cars in the interest of his very flaky bank balance.

Cheers

Soldato
goreblast said:
The race officialy starts at the parade lap - it counts as a lap of the GP - all cars took place in that lap, therefore all cars started the race... simple

the parade lap is not part of the race...they are not allowed to overtake and they have not seen the start lights go out.

Plus its not at racing speeds...

Soldato
The parade lap does count as a lap but i'm not entirely sure if it counts as part of the "race".

For example if they do the parade lap, form up on the grid, someone has a problem and they abort the start, there is another parade lap and another lap is deducted from the race distance.

Cheers

Soldato
Fire 1 said:
As I have already said in this thread, the Michelin cars could just have went slower around turn 13, which a chicane would do, but full speed around the rest of the lap where there was no concerns over the tyres.

Do you not understand how unsafe that would be?

Soldato
Yep. Imagine the accidents they would have had if all the michelin teams went slower round the banking and all the bridgestone teams tried to overtake them with a speed difference of at least 50mph..

that would be "well safe" now wouldn't it

Permabanned
goreblast said:
Would everyone be giving off as much if it had been Bridgestone and not Michellin - i think not.

Of course not, but then we would have had a 14 car race that would have been full of cars able to compete with other.

Instead we got a farce of a 6 car race, where 2 of those cars were in a different league to the other 4.

A 14 car race would just about watchable, it would have been competitive (McLaren v Williams v Renault v BAR) and the fans would have at least had something enjoyable to watch.

Soldato
NicktheNorse said:
as Martin was saying yesterday, if initially the grid is complete and a formation lap follows, then the race counts as a points scoring race.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that the formation lap forms part of the race.

Cheers

Soldato
First of all I am livid with how politics in F1 ruined the GP. That has hacked me right off. Bernie, Max, Todt, and most likely Dennis, Williams and Briatore probably all played a part in fouling this up. They all had their egos at stake and nobody backed down so we had this farce. :(

As far as Michelin are concerned.... Well, Bridgestone had supplied tyres for the Indy500 recently and new that it had been re-surfaced. Basically Indy cars were struggling for grip so they diamond cut the surface. Essentially slicing it up. Under the immense load of turn 13 and the fact it was on the diamond cut banking it was simply shredding the Michelin side walls. Since Indianapolis isn't a designated test circuit I have a little sympathy for Michelin. Anything they did to look into this could have been deemed outside of testing regs and illegel. I'm not sure tho. Either way I'm really upset and hope everything is back to normal by Magny Cours.

I have to admit though I won't be anywhere near as upset as Flibster, sorry mate. :(

Soldato
ConfusedTA said:
IIRC, The formation lap is part of the race distance, therefore it's part of the race.

On this assumption all the Michelin drivers started the race and retired before the end of the first lap on safety grounds.

The FIA now have a real problem if they try to fine Michelin for "bringing the sport into disrepute". The FIA knew that it was unsafe for the Michelin runners but even given advanced warning failed to find a solution/compromise. For them to fine Michelin would be crazy given that in the eyes of the regulations they started the race then retired.

As discussed earlier they don't start talking about fines when teams retire a car because of engines problems, suspension failure etc.

Cheers

Soldato
The parade lap is not part of the race, everyone goes and parks on the grid in their original positions and they can't overtake (and there is no reason to).
Although, doing that lap could constitute competing, not sure, I dont have the rules here.

Either way, its NO consolation for the people who spent lots of money going to the Grand Prix.

Back
Top Bottom