2005 United States Grand Prix

Associate
To be honest, I also think the best bet would be to let them change tyres during one of the scheduled pitstops, on grounds of safety...which I'm sure they will be able to do seeing as they have been declared unsafe. Would be a great shame to only end up with handful of people running, and while it might send a message to Max and Bernie, this has been the best championship for years, and I want that to continue that way :).

Arc

Arc

Associate
SKILL said:
the FIA to say, right, for one race only you may change your tyres for new tyres in the pit stops,

But where does it end ;). Michelin have messed things up, certain teams have picked a compound that is far too soft for the conditions. I agree that they should be able to change tyres if needed (think some teams may be ok with the current tyres however) on safety grounds but its really going to disadvantage the Bridgestone and Michelin runners who have stayed within the rules.

At least it may make the FIA/Max/Bernie et all get on with getting the sport back to what it should be instead of the farce it is at the moment :(.

Associate
I don't think the teams should be able to change if they have just picked the wrong compound, only if they have picked the suitable compound, and there is still a risk of the tyre failing... it is a get out of jail free card for those teams on the wrong compound.

Associate
God I hope all michelin teams retire from the race on the parade lap. How can the FIA claim to promote a sport with safety in mind; reducing speeds and lowing grip, when a manufacturer of tyres (the most important safety aspect) are ignored when they inform the FIA that they've made a mistake and safety could be a problem.

Down with the FIA !

Soldato
//Mike said:
I don't think the teams should be able to change if they have just picked the wrong compound, only if they have picked the suitable compound, and there is still a risk of the tyre failing... it is a get out of jail free card for those teams on the wrong compound.

Its not the team that have picked the wrong compound it the supplier Michelin have cocked up and brought the wrong tires!!!

I'm sure Bernie wants a race and not a farce so I think all will be ok

Soldato
This is hot off the press:
The FIA has rejected Michelin’s suggestion that a temporary chicane should be constructed at Indianapolis’ Turn 13 to alleviate the company’s tyre problems.

FIA technical delegate Charlie Whiting wrote to Michelin this morning effectively informing the tyre manufacturer that its Indianapolis dramas were down to the shortcomings of its tyre design, and that fixing the problem was not, therefore, the responsibility of the governing body.

Michelin has advised its seven teams not to take part in the US Grand Prix unless either the cause of Ralf Schumacher’s Friday accident is found and rectified, or the FIA allows it to bring in an alternative Barcelona-spec tyre.

The flat-out, banked, Turn 13 places the critical stress on tyres at Indianapolis, and it was suggested that inserting a chicane at this spot would solve the crisis.

But Whiting rejected this idea outright.

“It has been suggested that a chicane should be laid out in Turn 13," he said.

"I am sure you will appreciate that this is out of the question.

“To change the course in order to help some of the teams with a performance problem caused by their failure to bring suitable equipment to the race would be a breach of the rules and grossly unfair to those teams which have come to Indianapolis with the correct tyres."

Whiting’s letter places the burden of responsibility entirely on Michelin and its teams.

He said that if Michelin introduced a new tyre for the race, its teams would be breaking the rules, but he was ambiguous about the nature of the penalty that would be applied.

“Some of the teams have raised with us the possibility of running a tyre which was not used in qualifying," Whiting wrote.

"We have told them this would be a breach of the rules to be considered by the stewards.

“We believe the penalty would not be exclusion but would have to be heavy enough to ensure that no team was tempted to use qualifying tyres in the future.”

Formula 1’s new rules allow tyres to be changed in the race only if they are ‘damaged’.

Whiting’s letter suggested that Michelin’s teams could make pit stops on safety grounds without being penalised provided they could prove their tyres were unsafe.

He also hinted that Michelin’s problems are so severe that teams affected would have to pit every 10 laps.

“Another possibility would be for the relevant teams repeatedly to change the affected tyre during the race (we understand you have told your teams the left rear is safe for a maximum of 10 laps at full speed),” said Whiting.

“If the technical delegate and the stewards were satisfied that each change was made because the tyre would otherwise fail (thus for genuine safety reasons) and that the relevant team were not gaining an advantage, there would be no penalty.”

The FIA’s stance appears to be that as Michelin is responsible for its own crisis, it is up to the tyre company to decide how far it is willing to bend the rules in order to resolve the problem.

The present situation has the potential to result in a large number of post-race protests.

Soldato
Its crazy isnt it...Michelin very very poor. They want to race, then they need to give the Bridgestone runners something to compensate for bringing the wrong tyres.

Associate
rpstewart said:
There's no way you can realistically change a circuit this late in the day.

Very true. No one will know how to deal with the chicane. When to brake, turn in etc... Would be good for the Michelin runners, but rubbish for bridgestone.

If you have a tyre that can't handle the speed and corner, you should slow down and go slower round it. If your tyres are up to it then go full speed.

Putting in a chicane is like limiting all cars to gears 1-4 because one car looses all gears above 5. It's silly, and they shouldn't do it.

Man of Honour
I've got a horrid feeling something bad is going to happen with these tyres, although I'd love to see the race today, I think they should call it off, unless there is no doubt whatsoever that they will be okay with a chicane.

Rebelius said:
i've just got home and turned the telly on...

what's wrong with the Michelin tyres? why can't they race without a chicane? this is strange

From what I understand, all the tyres have been made with a manufacturing fault, and will cause them to fail after 10-15 laps on turn 13.

Associate
Rebelius said:
i've just got home and turned the telly on...

what's wrong with the Michelin tyres? why can't they race without a chicane? this is strange

Manufacturing fault meaning they won't last more than 15 laps.

Putting in a chicane would be hugely unfair to the bridgestone runners.

At the end of the day it's michelin's and the teams fault for having bad tyres. They should be the ones who suffer, and the FIA should not have to do anything to make it so thay can run, as anything they do will be unfair to some other teams.

Man of Honour
All teams agreed to the chicane except, you guessed it, Ferrari! The 2 other Bridgestone teams agreed with a chicane.

Latest speculation is that unless a chicane is put in the Michelin runners will all retire at will very early.

I like DCs idea, put in a chicane and allow all Bridgestone runners to start at the front of the grid.

Mal :(

Back
Top Bottom