2005 United States Grand Prix

Caporegime
The sad thing is that this whole tyre fiasco is more exciting than F1 has ever been over the last few years. We could use more drama like this. :p

Soldato
ashtray_head said:
Its unfair to all the fans NOT to see a race!

Your quite right...we want to see a race. Its time they agreed on something. The only thing that seems fair is to start all the cars on the original circuit on their original tyres and if they need to change every 10 laps then so be it.

Soldato
Rebelius said:
i've just got home and turned the telly on...

what's wrong with the Michelin tyres? why can't they race without a chicane? this is strange

There were many failures of the Mitchelin tyres during qualifying, to point where they are serious safety implications.

Man of Honour
Joe T said:
AFAIK there needs to be 12 cars on the grid for the race to start. This means that 3 Michelin teams need to be on the grid and can then retire if they choose.

I think the official wording is the race "may" be cancelled if there are fewer than 12 cars on the grid.

I really hope this goes ahead with all the runners. I'll be turning off today other wise!

Associate
Over Clocker said:
All teams agreed to the chicane except, you guessed it, Ferrari! The 2 other Bridgestone teams agreed with a chicane.

Latest speculation is that unless a chicane is put in the Michelin runners will all retire at will very early.

I like DCs idea, put in a chicane and allow all Bridgestone runners to start at the front of the grid.

Mal :(

A chicane is not needed, the Michelin runners just need to slow down in Turn 13. Doing the same job as a chicane. This does hinder the Bridgestone teams and Michelin runners (Mclaren) who can run.

Anyway, it is too late to build a chicane 30 mins before the race starts.

This will allow them to still race but not go for the win but a podium instead as they should still beat the Jordans and Minardis.

Soldato
Fire 1 said:
A chicane is not needed, the Michelin runners just need to slow down in Turn 13. Doing the same job as a chicane. This does hinder the Bridgestone teams and Michelin runners (Mclaren) who can run.

This will allow them to still race but not go for the win but a podium instead as they should still beat the Jordans and Minardis.

Exactly...and Mclaren dont seem to have a problem anyway.

Man of Honour
Fire 1 said:

Anyway, it is too late to build a chicane 30 mins before the race starts.

Would make for a pretty crap race though!

Associate
I think it is terrible that people are thinknig a chicane should be built at all. If bridgestone had the problem, with only 3 teams they would be told to go home. But just because there are lots of michelin runners they think the race should be changed for them.

People are saying to allow tyre changes for michelin runners, well if you do that, then you need to allow tyre changes for EVERYONE. You cant change the rules for some teams and not others. Michelin made a mistake and unfortunately the teams will pay the price. END OF ARGUMENT.

Ferrari are right to not allow a chicane. Why should Michelin be let off a HUGE mistake like this. I would allow the chicane only with the condition that the bridgestone runners finished 1-6 and the others could change tyres and race for the remaining points. Theres no point having rules if they are changed for some teams.

Soldato
A good summary for those who dont know whats going on:

Nine of the ten teams have agreed to leave the pits and take part in the US Grand Prix if a chicane is installed. Ferrari are saying the decision is down to the FIA, who have said no chicane should be installed. With less an hour until the race gets underway, there is still no solution. The following is a statement from Michelin.

The intensive investigations that have been undertaken in the last 24 hours by our laboratory and technical teams in France and United States concerning the incidents that occurred on the Toyota cars during the free practice test of Friday, have allowed Michelin to reach the following conclusions.

Given the combination of oval exit speed of the F1 cars and the subsequent down forces experienced by the tyres Michelin is not able to guarantee that such incidents would not reoccur during race conditions, and therefore Michelin is not able to guarantee the total safety of the drivers.

As a result Michelin, in total agreement with our partner teams has asked the FIA that a chicane, allowing the reduction of car speed be installed at the entrance to the oval. In this condition the Indianapolis F1 GP would be able to take place with the tyres that we used during the qualification.

This proposition answers three Michelin objectives: The safety of the drivers, the support of our partner teams and the interest of the race for the F1 fans.

From F1-live.com

Caporegime
i think we all agree that F1 needs to go away from this business of domination by one team as in last years championship. This years is really open, which is good. But still there isnt as much overtaking and actual racing as say in the BTCC.

how do you get more racing like in BTCC, you do as the BTCC do, and have most cars similar to each other, single make race style.

I dont think F1 should be about whose car has reached the greatest technalogical achievement.

it should be about racing.

If these rules do that, then im all for them.

Back
Top Bottom