2006 Bahrain Grand Prix - Race 1/18

I dont think he would do that. I think, he's thinking hes got a good chance taking it to Schumacher. I dont actually think there will be any of that between the 2 Ferrari's this season.

If there is, Im sure someone is going to quote me on that :p

Hi Guys great thread

Massa did look a bit good,

I think Alonso could have got close too though.

Anyway the real point, I've just read something about people whinging about the ferrari rear wing anyone know whats going on.

Actually I'm not a ferrari fan, but you have to give them respect, or is it down to bridgestone.

Ferrari are almost def on decent fuel load as well and while i'm here, what the heck is mclaren doing, looks like they spent all their money on the color scheme and the lovely gold heat shields, shame they didnt spent a bit more on drive shafts and stuff. I love the maclaren but Kimi better not sign a contract just yet. Mind you after him saying its likely he'll stay, he probably already has.

lets hope massa is allowed to let rip

MS first
Massa second
Alonso third
Buttton fourth
Monty driven into by a backmarker
Raikonen fifth
Webber
Fisi engine goes
Coulthard (dont know why)
Klien

Enjoy the race

To the guy who posted the photos, thanks a lot they are great

to Simon the info you supply is magic :p

I dont think McLaren have wasted money and time. I think they have a plan up thier sleave. Montoya had the pace in the 2nd session but not in the 3rd. Fueled heavier. The McLaren's last year tended to do that.

Alonso is looking good. He has the raw pace to challenge for the win when he steps on it. So can Fisi, but I think Alonso has a better chance.

The Ferrari's sitting on the front row have a good chance but fueled light I think to get them at the front. Depends if they can get away from the rest.

My prediction for the race is:

1st - Alonso
2nd - Montoya
3rd - M. Schumacher
4th - Button / Kimi or Massa (Depends if Kimi gets held up by traffic or not and if Massa can deliever the goods all the way through the race)

Slam62 said:
Hi Guys great thread
Anyway the real point, I've just read something about people whinging about the ferrari rear wing anyone know whats going on.

Rivals unhappy with Ferrari's rear wing

Questions have been raised about the design of the rear wing of Ferrari's 248 F1, even though it has been declared legal by the sport's governing body.

The first race of the season has led to the inevitable extra scrutiny from teams about the legality of designs elsewhere in the pitlane, and some of this focus has again shifted to the area of flexing wings.

Part of this attention on rear wings has been aimed at Ferrari, with rival teams claiming that the Italians' rear wing flexes and therefore breaks the regulations, which outlaw 'moveable aerodynamic devices'.

To check the legality of the wings, the FIA uses specific tests on the car while it is stationary. Loads are applied to the wing elements at specific areas and the wing cannot deflect above a certain amount. This is 5mm for the uppermost element of the rear wing and 2mm for the front-element.

The major bone of contention relates to the belief that the rear wings of some teams have been designed to only just pass the FIA tests and could flex elsewhere in areas that are not tested.

This would in theory make the rear wings fully compliant with the regulations as they are written, even if they are against them in spirit.

FIA technical delegates Charlie Whiting and Jo Bauer were seen inspecting the rear wing of the 248 F1 in the Ferrari garage on Saturday morning, and they subsequently gave the team the thumbs-up.

Despite the FIA insisting that there is no problem with the Ferrari rear wing, Renault's director of engineering Pat Symonds has made it clear that he is still far from happy with the situation.

When asked about his feelings on the Ferrari wing following the FIA's latest inspection, Symonds said: "I am not at all happy about it.

"It is very clear what you can or cannot do. There might be specific rules about specific parts, but there are also general rules and I know exactly what that wing does. And that is not what I would expect."

Should the issue escalate, then the FIA could still step in. F1's regulations allow the governing body to introduce further load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork that is suspected of moving while the car is in motion.

Since the 70's athere has been a ban on moveabble aerodymanic devices.

However - in the mid 90's certain teams experiemented with flexible rear wings - allows them to go faster down the straight while keeping speeds up around corners.

They started testing them by putting a static load on the back of the wing and measuring the amount it bends *5mm max at topmost point*

That only measured 1 place really - It's appearing that Ferrari have a fing that flexes in points that isn't measured so is currently against the spirit of the rules.

However - being Ferrari it'l be ruled legal. They never do anything wrong.... :rolleyes:

Simon/~Flibster

hehe, everyone going against the Ferrari's already. If its legal then the other teams have to just leave it and lump it as they say.

Anyone got any pics of thier rear wing? How much different is it to a normal one like on the McLaren?

At the moment the normal rear wing cant stay on Kimi's car :p

Lets hope it doesnt happen tomorrow.

Bennah said:
hehe, everyone going against the Ferrari's already. If its legal then the other teams have to just leave it and lump it as they say.

Anyone got any pics of thier rear wing? How much different is it to a normal one like on the McLaren?

At the moment the normal rear wing cant stay on Kimi's car :p

Lets hope it doesnt happen tomorrow.

Just like BAR's Torque transfer box and McLarens extra brake pedal and William's CVT box...

Who complained about them and got them banned after they were deemed legal by the FIA Technical Stewards?

Aaaah yes...that team in Red. ;)

Just let them get treated the same as they way they treat others tbh...

Simon/~Flibster

//Mike said:
The first 15 minutes of this third session have been a little bit pointless really.
Absolutely pointless - 15 minutes of the cars going round, not racing, not trying to get fast laps etc. Just burning fuel!? Why not take out the 20kg of fuel in the pits, do the lap with a half tank then put the 20kg back in?

The third session was a farce - I bet it'll change before the end of the season.

Having watched this I think I actually prefer the one-by-one approach, at least that way you get to see each driver drive a lap. Today the coverage completely missed people out since they were on hot laps at the same time.

Yea thats true, but did you see it last season when Kimi's rear wing just flew off when he was leading the race and had it in the bag?

European grand prix I think it was. Flibster, will probably tell us :D

Had a great day today in the VIP part of of the track. Got there at 9am for breakfast, when I saw Johnny Herbert arriving at the track. Had some good views of the pits from the stand I was in, and took some good pictures which I will upload later. Also met Les Ferdinand (ex footballer), Giancarlo Fisichella, Scott Speed and Vitantonio Liuzzi (the other Rosso driver).

Off to the Marlboro party now at a hotel where I am living. Will post some pictures tomorrow morning before I go the race.

Cant be bad :D Glad you had a good time and make sure you get some pics of very attractive ladies tonight at the party and tomorrow during the race. Sack the drivers and cars :p

Seriously I think we are all jelaous of you, being right there in the mix of things. Waiting for pics :D

Bennah said:
Yea thats true, but did you see it last season when Kimi's rear wing just flew off when he was leading the race and had it in the bag?

European grand prix I think it was. Flibster, will probably tell us :D

European Grand Prix - suspension failure due to a flat spot on the tyre.

Lasted 30 laps like that and another 3 miles would have been a superb victory - but most people just called him and McLaren stupid for not pitting...

Them - unlike Raikkonen and McLaren are not racers though - I certainly wouldn't have pitted. There was no way to know if the suspension would fail - it had lasted 30 laps already all it needed was another 1...

Simon/~Flibster

LoNeStaR* said:
Had a great day today in the VIP part of of the track. Got there at 9am for breakfast, when I saw Johnny Herbert arriving at the track. Had some good views of the pits from the stand I was in, and took some good pictures which I will upload later. Also met Les Ferdinand (ex footballer), Giancarlo Fisichella, Scott Speed and Vitantonio Liuzzi (the other Rosso driver).

Off to the Marlboro party now at a hotel where I am living. Will post some pictures tomorrow morning before I go the race.

We demand scantily clad babes!! :D

Simon/~Flibster

Qualifying Notes - Toro Rosso

Tonio Liuzzi: "It's been a complicated and difficult qualifying as the track conditions were totally different to yesterday. This meant we made many changes to the set-up as the car handled very differently. Qualifying was a bit chaotic with the red flag, but although I'm a bit disappointed not to make it through to the final part of the session, we have planned a fairly conservative strategy for the race, which is the only thing that matters. I definitely like this qualifying format. It's already been exciting today."

Scott Speed: "I'm used to qualifying with all the other cars out on track at the same time, but all the same it did feel a bit different, this being Formula One, with a bit more pressure. The first part of the session went very well, although I got a bit held up at the end of it by Jacques. Then, in the second part, the tyre temperatures were not quite where we wanted them and I got pulled in to the weighbridge, which meant I didn't get a second run in. So, maybe we could have gone a bit quicker in the second part, but now we can play with the fuel load, which puts us in a strong position for the race."

Gabriele Tredozi (Technical Director): "It's been an exciting weekend so far, with a new team and today, the new qualifying rules. The new format definitely produced some excitement and unexpected situations with the red flag. It was a good show of the sort we have not seen for many years in qualifying. We can pleased with our overall performance and the cars went well. The drivers made no mistakes to put us in a good position from which we can now look at a wide range of strategy options for the race."

Qualifying Notes - Midland F1

A new qualifying system, coupled with shifting track conditions, proved disadvantageous for MF1 Racing at Sakhir on Saturday.

Tiago Monteiro and Christijan Albers, both accustomed to the one-lap qualifying system they drove under in their rookie seasons last year, could not improve on their times from morning practice and were eliminated from the qualifying session after the first round. Gusting winds and blowing sand did nothing to help the situation for either driver.

Nevertheless, the team feels it can overcome this minor setback and make an improved showing in tomorrow's race.

Adrian Burgess, Sporting Director: "It was our first attempt at a new qualifying system and so far, we've seen a few strange events happen, which has been interesting for all of us. We're not particularly happy being 18th and 19th and we know we've got a lot of work to do. There's a lot of potential in the car, so I think there might an opportunity for us to do something tomorrow. We'll just keep trying to improve as we go on."

Tiago Monteiro: "The changing conditions caught us a bit by surprise, so my first lap wasn't as good as it should have been. My front wing adjuster broke on that run, and then a subsequent technical problem in the garage prevented me from getting out in time and putting in a real qualifying run. Needless to say, this disappointed me, but worse things can happen. Now I just have to focus on having a good race tomorrow, and I'm sure everyone on the team will be motivated to do better."

Christijan Albers: "We had some problems with the wind today, which made things quite difficult at times. The first run was not so bad, but on the second run I really had some problems with traffic. It was really just too busy during the warm-up procedure on the first lap, which in turn made the car feel a little bit nervous. That's why I wasn't able to improve on my time, which should have been somewhere in the one-thirty-fours, easily, so it's a shame. But I'm still looking forward to tomorrow, because even though we might be down a little bit on qualifying pace, I think we'll be stronger in the race. I have a lot of trust in the car and in the team."

Back
Top Bottom