2006 Malaysian Grand Prix - Race 2/18

Allen get it wrong again....

Fisi, whilst he's won 3 GPs now, he's only ever been on the top step twice.

Win #1 was in Brazil when they got everything wrong at the end, he got the trophy at the next race at Imola.

rpstewart said:
Allen get it wrong again....

Fisi, whilst he's won 3 GPs now, he's only ever been on the top step twice.

Win #1 was in Brazil when they got everything wrong at the end, he got the trophy at the next race at Imola.

Thats the one where McLaren won the trophies and then everyone realised that they had used the wrong lap to calculate the results from.

Think this is right now...

2006 Drivers Championship.
Code:
[b]Pos	Driver			Nationality	Team			Points[/b]
1	Fernando Alonso		Spanish		Renault			18
=3	Jenson Button		British		Honda			11
=3	Michael Schumacher	German		Ferrari			11
4	Giancarlo Fisichella	Italian		Renault			10
5	Juan Pablo Montoya	Colombian	McLaren-Mercedes	9
6	Kimi Räikkönen		Finnish		McLaren-Mercedes	6
7	Fhilipe Massa		Brazilian	Ferrari			4
8	Mark Webber		Australian	Williams-Cosworth	3
=10	Nico Rosberg		German		Williams-Cosworth	2
=10	Jacques Villeneuve	Canadian	BMW-Sauber		2
=12	Christian Klien		Austrian	RBR-Ferrari		1
=12	Ralf Schumacher		German		Toyota			1

2006 Constructors Championship.
Code:
[b]Pos	Constructor 		Points[/b]
1	Renault 		28
=3	McLaren-Mercedes 	15	
=3	Ferrari 		15
4	Honda 			11
5	Williams-Cosworth 	5
6	BMW-Sauber		2
=8	RBR-Ferrari 		1
=8	Toyota			1

As always - subjecdt to conformation...

Last edited:
FIA called to clarify flexi-wings

The FIA has been asked to look closer at the area of flexi-wings and issue a clarification about the matter prior to the Australian Grand Prix.

The governing body received a letter signed by nine of Ferrari's rivals in Malaysia on Sunday morning expressing their concern about the matter - and especially the flexibility of Ferrari's front wings.

The teams want the situation to be sorted before the next race of the season in Melbourne to clear up what they believe is a grey area in the rules.

There is believed to be a threat that if the matter is not resolved, or Ferrari continue to use their current design of front wings, then there is the possibility of a protest being lodged at a future race.

The letter comes after a series of meetings in the Sepang paddock on Saturday night and Sunday morning to discuss the issue.

Ferrari's front wing draws attention

The Sepang paddock has been awash with rumours since yesterday that Ferrari's front wing will go under official FIA investigation.

Ferrari's rear wing drew attention in Bahrain, where it was cleared by the FIA, but now it's the front wing that is causing controversy.

Suggestions have been made by some of Ferrari's rivals that the upper element on the Italians' front wing moves at speed, and the illegal movement could be seen at close-up video.

An FIA spokesman SAID there is no investigation at the moment, while a Ferrari spokesman added: "I don't want to comment on any rumour. If there is a problem, there is procedure through the FIA."

Paddock pundits suggest, however, that a formal protest would only be lodged after the race, and any investigation taking place - if at all - will have to wait until then.

Grey clouds over Ferrari wing saga
Rivals ask for wing clarification from the FIA

Malaysia's 2006 Grand Prix started under clouds - the big grey ones in the sky and one in the form of a letter signed by eight F1 teams.

Every team - except Ferrari, Ferrari-powered Red Bull and Red Bull-owned Toro Rosso - put their name to a document asking the FIA to clarify the legality of the Ferrari's allegedly 'flexible' front and rear wings.

The letter, coming after a spate of meetings in the Sepang paddock on Saturday and Sunday, reportedly hinted that formal protests may be lodged if the matter is not sorted prior to the upcoming Melbourne race.

Faced with being dragged through the mud, Ferrari's Jean Todt is understood to have agreed to modify the wings' designs by the time his cars set down on Australian soil.

The real question is - why is fat boy JPM soo slow!

Everyone talks about Ferrari being sore loosers, but look at Renault now - no surprise that Ron Dennis is kicking up a fuss, but Renault see a challenge and straight away - na na na we need clarification of this wing and that.

Richard T said:
that was a pants race imo... not worth getting up for really

too true, such a shame raikkonen got knocked out so early might have made it more interesting, not to mention the engine failures for both williams! good drive from massa though!

why oh why is montoya so damn slow though! just doesnt seem to want to drive, surely he has got to cement his position if he wants to stay next year at mclaren, or get at least a half decent drive next year!

Todt unmoved by front wing row

Ferrari sporting director Jean Todt has moved to downplay the controversy over the front wings of the team's 248 F1 - by insisting that he does not see a problem.

Visible flexing of the front wing elements of the Ferrari prompted eight of their rivals to write to the FIA on Sunday demanding clarification of the rules prior to the Australian Grand Prix.

Speaking on Sunday night, however, Todt said he was unmoved by the situation. He claimed that Ferrari had not done anything illegal, but said if the FIA wanted them to change the wings then they would happily comply.

"Ross (Brawn, technical director) has been talking to the FIA and they are happy about the legality of the car," explained Todt. "If there is something they want us to do we will do it. If it was outside the rules I don't think we'd be talking about this result."

When asked whether the team would be bringing different wings to the Australian Grand Prix, Todt responded: "We are not in Melbourne. Ask me then. I try to be a manager, not a technical director.

"The technical team will suggest what to do. You have to know your limits. I know mine."

Alonso dismisses Rossi challenge

Fernando Alonso has dismissed Valentino Rossi's invitation to a three-round duel.

The MotoGP champion issued the challenge after Alonso said he was unimpressed by the Italian's pace in F1 tests for Ferrari.

"I think we should drive a Formula One car, a World Rally car and a MotoGP bike, add the times together and then we will see who is the fastest," Rossi said.

Alonso initially indicated he would accept the challenge, but the Spaniard has since made it clear he will not make the effort.

"I'm an F1 driver with a busy schedule, I've got no time to play around," Alonso said at Sepang. "He obviously has time on his hands.

"With all due respect to Valentino, I just said that he isn't among the five best F1 drivers and never will be.

"That's the end of it, I don't have anymore time to waste on it."

Back
Top Bottom