2006 Malaysian Grand Prix - Race 2/18

"It's not their (Bridgestone's) problem, it's our problem," Britain's Gascoyne clarified.

The 42-year-old added: "It's not a lack of downforce -- the car is okay. We just have no grip
So it is Toyota's problem, the car has enough downforce but no grip so they ask for softer tyres which isn't the solution to the problem.

Surely a team with one of the biggest budgets can figure out what is wrong :confused:

Maybe they should use a less aggressive traction control to heat up the rear tyres :p

Sounds like they have a similar problem to that which McLaren had last year. Their suspension setup was such that while the tyre wear was minimal (which was the intention) they were being so gentle with the tyres that there was no heat getting in to them to give them sufficient grip. As I recall it was a simple change to the suspension geometery and Kimi was off like a scalded cat.

rpstewart said:
As requested:

Nordschleife track overlay

Nordshcleife Flyover (select the flyover in the places list then click the play button in the bottom right)

Oh, and the GP tracks file should be fully working now - I've fixed the Hockenheim track overlay and added one for Istanbul. You'll probably need to mess about with the transparency slider to see both the track and the lap overview for these two.

Thanks for that.
I never really appritiated how big it really was until i saw that :eek:
I knew it was big but from that view next to the other tracks its HUGE!!! :eek:

:D

Zip said:
Thanks for that.
I never really appritiated how big it really was until i saw that :eek:
I knew it was big but from that view next to the other tracks its HUGE!!! :eek:

:D

Oh, that's just the Nordschliefe by the way. There's another 8 miles or so of the Sudschleife that used to be joined on but that hasn't been used since before the war iirc.

rpstewart said:
Oh, that's just the Nordschliefe by the way. There's another 8 miles or so of the Sudschleife that used to be joined on but that hasn't been used since before the war iirc.

So it was even bigger :eek:
That would have been a fun track to race on :D

Just something I spotted over on the BBCi website, might be of interest:

HOW ENGINES COMPARE IN 2006
Champ Car
2.65-litre turbo V8 750bhp

Formula One
2.4-litre V8 750 bhp

F1 equivalency formula
3.0-litre V10 750bhp

Indy Racing
3.0-litre V8 670bhp

Grand Prix Masters
3.5-litre V8 650bhp

GP2
4.0-litre V8 580bhp

A1GP
3.4-litre V8 520bhp

2005 Formula One
3.0-litre V10 950bhp

I have to admit I think it just goes to show the technical excellence of Formula 1, 2.4 litre V8 or not. Champ Cars and IRL cars get nowehere near the power for the size of the engine.

Murf said:
I have to admit I think it just goes to show the technical excellence of Formula 1, 2.4 litre V8 or not. Champ Cars and IRL cars get nowehere near the power for the size of the engine.

That has more to do with the differing rules in the various formulae rather than technical excellence. IRL engines are limited to 10300rpm, Champ Car to 12000rpm. By comparision F1 engines run to 19000+rpm.

Sure, there's technical excellence in F1 which allows engines to run at that rate however you'd see the same in the US if they were allowed.

rpstewart said:
That has more to do with the differing rules in the various formulae rather than technical excellence. IRL engines are limited to 10300rpm, Champ Car to 12000rpm. By comparision F1 engines run to 19000+rpm.
And a very limited turbo boost :)

It is however a technical marvel that they can get 750bhp from a 2.4 liter block :cool:

rpstewart said:

Sure, there's technical excellence in F1 which allows engines to run at that rate however you'd see the same in the US if they were allowed.

Hhhhmmmm, didn't realise they were rev limited. Do you know why that is?

Massa Not Happy with Engine Penalty

Felipe Massa has expressed his disappointment at the 10-place engine penalty that he faces in only his second race with Ferrari.

Although he finished the Bahrain GP post race checks revealed a failure in his engine. Massa spent over 40 seconds at rest in the team’s botched pit stop with no cooling, but overheating is not believed to have been the cause of the problem.

In fact the failure was identical to the one that struck David Coulthard on the slowing down lap. The Scot has also taken a new engine and a penalty, and there must now be questions about the V8s in the cars of Michael Schumacher and Christian Klien, both of which ran hard races and the extra miles in top 10 qualifying – and therefore did less work than the engine in DC’s car.

"It’s definitely frustrating," said Massa. "Everything was coming very quick, first of all the [bad] race, then the engine problem. It was not what I expected, but we know that we had a big change in the rules, and this is not to easy for the teams.

"We don’t know, but maybe we won’t be the only ones to change the engine. Maybe tomorrow when everyone starts running we can see other problems in the other teams. But anyway, if we saw what happened with Kimi last race, he showed that they could be quite strong and finish in the podium. I will try to do my best to do the same."

Under the 2006 rules it is a 10 place penalty is potentially much tougher than it was last year, because everyone outside the top 10 can full up with fuel. Any driver going light enough to take pole – and therefore drop only to 11th – will be surrounded by much heavier cars.

Running a more higher fuel weight could see a quick driver near the back of the top 10 and therefore starting 19th or 20th. In other words it might be better to withdraw from qualifying altogether and save tires and engine miles for the race.

"We need to the best combination, the best strategy we can for our situation. If you lose 10 places maybe we need to chose the right strategy to fight for the positions in the top. The rules are like this. We need to adapt the best we can to the rules.

"For the moment we’re working hard to try to fix everything we can and to try to improve the engine and be 100% reliable."

Meanwhile Massa says he was very happy with his debut in Bahrain, despite the spin that proved so expensive.

"In a way it was pretty good, because I was very competitive straight away. My qualifying pace was great, and I think my pace in the race was also good, so everything was great apart from the problem we had in the race! Anyway, it’s important to be competitive, and we could show straight away that we have a good car. I was not very lucky, but you have many races to do, and hopefully we’ll try to get the luck back, and try to be competitive and finish in the position I was supposed to finish in at the last race.

"Qualifying definitely was a kind of surprise. We saw that Renault and McLaren were very strong, and Honda as well, so we knew that we were able to fight with them. I think it was maybe easier than we expected. If you look back, the fight was between me and Michael. It was a fantastic qualifying but disappointing race! Hopefully now we can have a surprise in the qualifying and a very good race as well."

Engine reliability a 'concern' for Schumi

Given Ferrari's 50 percent engine reliability this season, Michael Schumacher is s a bit "concerned" ahead of the Malaysian Grand Prix weekend.

Ferrari, who not only race their own engines but also supply Red Bull Racing, have already had to replace two engines, Felipe Massa's and David Coulthard's, following the season-opening Bahrain GP.

While Coulthard needed a new engine after his old one ground to a halt on the slowing-down lap in hrain, Massa's engine had to be replaced after tests discovered that it wouldn't be able to cope with the demands of a second grand prix.

Both drivers will be given a ten-grid slot penalty in Malaysia as under the regulations, engines have to last for two whole grand prix weekends before they can be replaced with a new power unit.

"It was not what I was expecting but we know we have had a big change in the rules and this is not so easy for the teams," said a disappointed Massa.

"And who knows, maybe I won't be the only one to change their engine. Maybe when we start running we will see problems in the other teams."

And Schumacher is hoping that if his team-mate is helped by other engine failures, they will affect "the other teams" not Massa's own team.

"Naturally I'm concerned because it's the same engine," the seven-time World Champion old reporters at Sepang.

"But so far we've checked everything and everything looks fine on my engine so I should be reasonably happy.

"There's no reason to be worried about the engine at the moment."

Murf said:
They are most likely limited to stop them from producing too much horsepower.

revs are directly related to horsepower, the faster an engine can run the more horesepower it can produce (there are other factors but if you want to limit the horsepower a rev limit is an easy way)

Murf said:

For IRL it's to limit technical advances. The series is deliberately cheap and low tech.

In Champ Car it's probably to reduce cost, it's also easy to acheive because it's a one engine formula these days.

Removing the limits on Champ Cars would be scary though, those things have full underbody aerodynamics which generate more downforce than an F1 car. They're capable of lapping super speedways at 230mph+ and have already stopped racing at Nazereth because the cars generate so much g-force round the oval that the drivers were blacking out :eek:

Now think what would happen with a 1000bhp block....

rpstewart said:
For IRL it's to limit technical advances. The series is deliberately cheap and low tech.

In Champ Car it's probably to reduce cost, it's also easy to acheive because it's a one engine formula these days.

Removing the limits on Champ Cars would be scary though, those things have full underbody aerodynamics which generate more downforce than an F1 car. They're capable of lapping super speedways at 230mph+ and have already stopped racing at Nazereth because the cars generate so much g-force round the oval that the drivers were blacking out :eek:

Now think what would happen with a 1000bhp block....

With a 1000bhp block the gforce would probably push your man bits into your body.
You would have an invert :p

But what a spectator sport it would be :D

Zip said:
With a 1000bhp block the gforce would probably push your man bits into your body.

:p

Cheers for clearing that up guys. (btw - I know revs relate to bhp, and I know why engines are limited, just not why the series had placed a limit on them. :p)

Back
Top Bottom