2006 Spanish Grand Prix - Race 6/18

Spanish GP: Qualifying notes - BMW

BMW Sauber F1 Team driver Nick Heidfeld qualified tenth in Barcelona. His team-mate, Jacques Villeneuve, will start from the back of the grid with a fresh engine for the Spanish Grand Prix.

Nick Heidfeld: I am happy to be in the top ten as the lap times are quite close. I think it would have been difficult to beat the other cars in front of us, and even though I lost some time with Ralf in front, honestly I don't think it would have changed anything regarding my position. The set up was fine on one lap, and I hope we can see the same tomorrow over a race distance. The balance of the car changed, and it was quite different for all three outings.

Jacques Villeneuve: The first run went very easily and the balance was very good, but then the wind picked up and the car's balance changed. We still concentrated for the set-up on what we need for the race with high fuel and all that. We were not at the optimum for qualifying, but I was still expecting better than that.

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director): Once again it was very tight. After the first part of qualifying there was less than a second between first and 14th places. In the second part the first 11 drivers were within one second of each other. For us we had different strategies. It was clear Jacques would not be able to start in the top ten because of the engine change. For Nick we concentrated on getting him into the top ten, which is exactly what he achieved. On his first lap he got stuck in traffic which cost him quite a lot of time. What his starting position will be worth compared to the opposition we will see tomorrow at the first pit stop. Technically the cars ran problem free. As Jacques is starting from the last row anyway, we will fit another fresh engine to give him the best possible chances for here and Monaco.

Willy Rampf (Technical Director Chassis): Getting one car into the third qualifying session is positive as this gives us a good platform to start the race from. How good this tenth place will end up being we cannot say, as we don't know everyone's different strategies. Jacques was very good in first qualifying. Not doing so well in the second session hasn't played a very big role in his weekend, as he has to go back ten places anyway because we have changed his engine.

Spanish GP: Qualifying notes - Toyota

Panasonic Toyota Racing heads into tomorrow's Spanish Grand Prix with high hopes after securing two spots in the top seven of the grid. Today's qualifying session took place on a warm afternoon at the Circuit de Catalunya. There was a brief shower before the morning's practice session but the rain held off for the day's action and qualifying was sunny. Both Toyota's drivers Ralf Schumacher and Jarno Trulli made it into Qualifying Session 3, with Ralf taking 6th place and Jarno taking 7th. Both drivers will now look to capitalise on this performance in Sunday's race.

Ralf Schumacher: "We had a good day today but it was a tough afternoon's work out there. We didn't use any new tyres this morning and we had to go to the limit to make it through into Session 3. The car was fine during all three sessions and we had no problems. The track was slightly slippery but nothing exceptional. My final lap was a clean lap but a driver is never completely satisfied, especially when a thousandth of a second is all you need to gain a place. Still, we are confident in our strategy and hopeful for the race, where we will push for a good result."

Jarno Trulli: "We're quite satisfied with today's performance. I had problems with understeer and the car behaviour changed a lot during the sessions. That meant I could not quite pull out the lap I would have liked at the end but we are still near the front. Because everyone knows this track so well, everyone runs at the absolute limit during this race weekend. We looked good in the tests here and we're near the front again today so things are looking positive. Now we will have to see how we can perform in the race. We have worked hard to eliminate the problems with tyre graining that we had yesterday. So we hope that helps us tomorrow and we can put in a good race performance."

Pascal Vasselon – Senior General Manager Chassis: "Qualifying went better than we expected. This morning we decided to stay on used tyres so it was difficult to say exactly how we would fare on new rubber this afternoon. We were still confident we'd make the top ten and we managed that. The drivers started just 10-12 seconds before the end but you have to push to the limit. So it has to be tight and everything went according to plan. The Bridgestone tyres were strong and the two drivers did a very good job. Some other teams opted for two runs at the end of Session 3 and it's obviously something we considered, but our drivers feel very confident with just one outing. Now we can look forward to the race tomorrow. We have a sound strategy so let's see what happens."

Spanish GP: Qualifying notes - Super Aguri

Super Aguri driver Takuma Sato set a respectable lap time during this morning's free practice session that placed him firmly between the Midland F1 cars on the official time sheets. The opening section of the Qualifying session was interrupted by a Red Flag situation following David Coulthard's Red Bull leaving the track, however both SAF1 Team drivers were able to clock reasonable lap times despite a small mistake by Franck Montagny which compromised his flying lap.

Takuma Sato: We had a very smoothe morning and made good progress during the practice session. Qualifying was also encouraging. The conditions were relatively difficult as I had low grip and encountered traffic before the Red Flag stopped the session. However during the second run I had a clear track and was able to set a similar lap time to the one I set in practice, so I am happy. The gap between our times and the Midlands' is getting smaller, so things are starting to get exciting for the team.

Franck Montagny: My day was better day than yesterday for sure. We were able to improve the car's handling into the quick corners, so now we have a stable car and I am happy about that. We found quite a good set up on used tyres and the car was quite easy to drive with no problems with degradation, but with new tyres we are struggling a bit around the slow corners. The track has changed so much and we still need more data for the car, so it makes things a little difficult. We are getting closer and improving a little all the time and I know that in time the pace will come.

Aguri Suzuki, Team Principal: Taku did a good job with the hard tyre option and I am pleased that he made the 1:18's. Although Franck went off the track at the end of his quick lap he also did a good job. The times are not so fast but they are showing the best possible performance of the car at this point. We have not been able to finish a race since we started the Europe leg of the season, so I hope that we will be able to have a two-car finish tomorrow.

Spanish GP: Qualifying notes - Ferrari

Jean Todt: Once again, we witnessed a very close qualifying session today. Tomorrow, we will have an all-red second row, with the two cars of our main rival ahead of us. Both our drivers did well. Tomorrow, reliability and tyre performance and Bridgestone has made a great job of that for this race. Given that overtaking is very difficult, it's clear that strategy will play a key role in deciding the outcome and tomorrow we will find out who got it right.

Michael Schumacher: I am quite happy with third place on the grid, as we knew we might have to lose a bit in qualifying, because we based our decision about tyres more on how they would perform in the race. So, the second row is not a big problem as we know we can expect a strong race pace. Unlike at the Nurburgring, this time, I start from the clean side of the grid. As for race strategy, there are two possibilities and now we will have to make sure we pick the best one.

Felipe Massa: It was a good qualifying. A start from the front two rows is vital and we managed to reach this target. On my final run in Q3, I came up against a bit of traffic in the final sector, but I'm happy with the way things went. I am very confident about the race in that we know we can count on getting very consistent performance from the Bridgestone tyres.

Ross Brawn: It was a very exciting session which kept our drivers and engineers busy right to the end. I think both Michael and Felipe did an excellent job. Obviously, you always hope to be as far forward as possible on the grid, but the cars are very good and it looks as though the Bridgestone tyres should give a strong performance over a long distance. There is good reason to be optimistic about tomorrow's race.

Spanish GP: Qualifying notes - Toro Rosso

Tonio Liuzzi: We have to realize this is our position and to do a better time would mean taking a short cut on the track. We suffer a bit from a lack of straight line speed but overall, we did a good qualifying and at least I reached the second part of the session. Because we lacked speed on the straight I had to go to the limit, pushing more on the corners. The car handled really well and I think, if we get through the first lap without an accident, we can have a strong race, especially as Michelin has done a good job and given us a consistent tyre, even though this is one of the toughest circuits for tyres.

Scott Speed: Of course I'd prefer to make it into the next part of the session, but this is pretty much where I expected to qualify anyway. I'm not disappointed because we took the definite decision to have the car set up more to have a good race pace for tomorrow rather than for today's qualifying. I think this will pay off and we should have a strong race pace and I have confidence in our tyre choice.

Spanish GP: Qualifying notes - McLaren

Team McLaren Mercedes drivers Kimi Raikkonen and Juan Pablo Montoya will start tomorrow's Spanish Grand Prix at the Circuit de Catalunya from ninth and 12th position respectively. Kimi set a lap time of 1:16.015 in the third qualifying session. In the second part Juan Pablo was 12th fastest with 1:15.801 and consequently missed the opportunity to participate in the final qualifying.

Kimi Raikkonen: "We are not where we want to be. I was blocked on my first flying lap in the last qualifying session and then the next run was not a great one. We seem to be lacking qualifying pace, but will see what we can do in the race tomorrow to improve our positions as our race pace is better than our qualifying speed."

Juan Pablo Montoya: "I'm really disappointed. There was a problem when I came in to get my car refuelled and my tyres lost a lot of heat, and we should have changed to a new set. However these things happen and whilst they are frustrating we must now focus on the race tomorrow and see what we can do."

Ron Dennis: "This was a difficult qualifying. Juan Pablo's first session was interrupted by a red flag situation which cost him a set of tyres. In the second qualifying a mistake was made with his refuelling which allowed his tyres to cool off. We were marginal on time, but with the benefit of hindsight we should have changed the tyres. Kimi's final qualifying run saw him being blocked by Trulli, but his second was OK. Overall we lacked pace today, but on a positive note our race set-up seemed to be working well in this morning's practice which bode well for tomorrow."

Norbert Haug: "A disappointing result which we will have to improve on in tomorrow's race."

Spanish GP: Qualifying notes - Midland

MF1 Racing made significant improvements over yesterday's practice times en route to qualifying in 18th and 19th positions for the Spanish Grand Prix at the Circuit de Catalunya.

Despite not yet graduating to the later qualifying heats, the team showed continued to show improved pace as the weekend progressed and is now looking forward to a good result in tomorrow's race.

Tiago Monteiro: "We had a much better day than yesterday. I guess it just means we have to work on our Fridays, really, because there's always either a problem on the technical side, or the set up, or my driving, or something. My engineers and I understand each other really well so we always end up sorting it out, but it's frustrating because it costs us so much preparation time. We worked hard last night to make the necessary changes and the car was much, much better today, very balanced and nice to drive, so all that effort paid off. In qualifying, I made a small mistake on my first run that cost me four or five tenths, but that's qualifying - you're just pushing as hard as you can. Thankfully, my second run was just a clean, perfect lap. I was pushing amazingly hard and the car responded perfectly, so I'd really like to thank my mechanics for that. I was only 1.9s away from the top time in that heat, so the gap is still shrinking and I'm happy about that, especially on a track where we tend to struggle."

Christijan Albers: "Not the greatest day for us, to be honest. We struggled a lot and we have to look through the data to see what's going on. From a performance point of view, we're doing really well in the middle sector, which is the toughest one because of all the corners, so that's encouraging. But we're losing a lot of time in the first and second sectors, so that's where we have a lot of work to do. We have to find out why we're slower than Tiago and come up with a solution for that. On my first qualifying run, I nearly had a massive shunt because I came around a blind, uphill corner almost flat out in fifth gear, and all of a sudden I had Sato moving really slowly in front of me. I can't understand what he was doing, because he was on his 'in' lap and should have been more aware of what was going on. My emotions got the better of me at that moment, and maybe I reacted in a way that wasn't so nice, but that still doesn't excuse his actions. Everyone knows this is not a place where you lift (off the throttle)."

Colin Kolles, Managing Director: "The team worked very hard to improve from yesterday and the drivers did a good job to get the most out of the package, so in that sense I'm reasonably happy. On the other hand, I also think we would be in the later qualifying stages by now if everyone was using the same engine formula, and by this, of course, I'm referring to the V10s. We lost a lot of time to them in the first sector because of their straight-line speed, so it's obvious the equivalency formula is not working. I hope this issue is resolved before Monaco."

Dominic Harlow, Chief Race and Test Engineer: "On the surface, it seems like another normal qualifying for us, but in truth we are moving closer to our target of moving into the later sessions. We think we have a strong race package, so we're fairly optimistic about our chances tomorrow."

Spanish GP: Qualifying notes - Bridgestone

A thrilling final qualifying session in front of a capacity crowd at the Circuit de Catalunya this afternoon saw the Ferrari pair of Michael Schumacher and Felipe Massa go head-to-head with the Renaults of Fernando Alonso and Giancarlo Fisichella. It was what the roaring crowd wanted to see and although the Ferrari drivers just missed out and will line up on the second row of the grid, their qualifying and practice pace suggests we can expect a strong performance from them in tomorrow's 66-lap race. In fact Michael Schumacher set the fastest overall time in qualifying today with a 1m14.637. Panasonic Toyota Racing's Ralf Schumacher and Jarno Trulli also qualified well in sixth and seventh places respectively, putting them in a strong position for the Spanish Grand Prix. The Williams drivers qualified 11th and 13th while the MF1 Racing and Super Aguri F1 drivers will line up in places 18 to 21 respectively.

Hisao Suganuma, Technical Manager - Bridgestone Motorsport: We had a few showers before this morning's practice session but that did not actually affect the track or the teams' plans too much. All the Bridgestone teams completed their set-up and qualifying checks. We knew they had the potential to be strong and we saw this in qualifying. The Williams drivers unfortunately missed out on the top ten today but we expect them to have a strong race. It was good to see the four Ferrari and Toyota cars in the final qualifying phase and although pole is always preferable we are happy with the final qualifying results. We're expecting our teams to be competitive tomorrow.

Ross Brawn, Technical Director – Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro: That was a very exciting qualifying session! It certainly kept the engineers and drivers very busy. Felipe and Michael both did a very good job and I think we'll see that in the race tomorrow. Of course, I would have preferred at least P2 but the Bridgestone tyres and the car are working very well and we have good reason to be optimistic for tomorrow's race.

Pascal Vasselon, Senior General Manager Chassis – Panasonic Toyota Racing: This morning we opted to stay on used tyres so it was difficult to say exactly how we'd get on this afternoon but qualifying went well. At the moment it looks good from a tyre point of view. Of course the race will be another story but there is no real reason to worry. So far it looks like a strong Bridgestone weekend.

Spanish GP: Qualifying notes - Michelin

World championship leader Fernando Alonso has taken his second straight pole position – and the 11th of his Formula One career – ahead of his home grand prix at Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya. He lapped the 4.627-kilometre (2.875- mile) circuit in 1m 14.648s to pip team-mate Giancarlo Fisichella by just 0.061s.

The Renault stars were fastest of a strong Michelin contingent in the top 10. Rubens Barrichello set fourth fastest time ahead of Jenson Button, Kimi Raikkonen and Nick Heidfeld. Alonso's pole is his first in Spain and Michelin's 104th in the F1 world championship.

Nick Shorrock, Michelin F1 director: "Between them, our six partner teams have opted for three of the four vailable tyre specifications and all have performed according to expectations. This morning's rain shower hasn't significantly affected track conditions. We have been able to generate consistent pace on long runs and today's qualifying session underlined that we have strong first-lap performance, too.

"It is very satisfying to put two cars on the front row and we believe several of our partners will be very strong in the race, although we appreciate that it is likely to be a tight contest. Detail differences in race strategy are sure to influence the final outcome, but we are in a confident frame of mind because we know our products are very competitive."

Pat Symonds, executive engineering director, Renault F1 Team: "We have been very pleased with the performance of our Michelins.” “We have been very pleased with the long -run consistency of our Michelin tyres throughout practice and our qualifying pace proved the strength of their first-lap performance. We are poised for a very exciting race."

Post-qualifying press conference - Spain

TV Unilaterals

Q. First pole on home soil, Fernando, what an atmosphere for you for your first pole on home soil.

Fernando Alonso: Yeah, first pole position in Spain and for sure, a great atmosphere for all the team and for me especially. I think we all enjoy this qualifying with the people in the grandstand supporting Formula One as a sport, because at the end of the day they are enjoying so much what is a new sport for us in this country and I enjoyed the lap also.

Q. It didn't look particularly easy for you during this qualifying session; in Q2 you were P4.

FA: Yeah, the times were really close at this circuit. We test here a lot during the winter and also down in 1m 14s, the times are really close. Yeah, it was tough. The main worry was to get through Q2 and then Q3 was the easiest part, but in fact it was the same thing as Nurburgring: Q2 so-so and then Q3 again in pole position for the second consecutive time, so a fantastic feeling.

Q. Obviously Michael was a threat to you, but it was great to have your teammate alongside you.

FA: Yeah, I think Ferrari and Michael are obviously strong again this weekend but you know we have to concentrate in our job to take the maximum from our car. In five races, the worst place was a second place in the race, and if we keep up this consistency we will be good for the championship and I think that's what we have to do: concentrate on our car, and on our job. OK, when Ferrari's too strong for us we have to be happy with second place, but I think that we have to believe that victory is possible tomorrow.

Q. Giancarlo, great team performance from Renault, but you've been very quick all weekend.

Giancarlo Fisichella: Yes, it's true. It's nice to be here. The Renault performance was very good today. We expected to be really competitive, obviously first and second on the grid tomorrow is a great result. We are really optimistic that we have a good package. I'm a little bit sad for the last couple of races, because with a better qualifying session there was a possibility to get on the podium and it was better to score a few more points for the championship but anyway, we are just at the beginning of the season so I am just looking forward and I hope to do a great race.

Q. How do you see the Michelin/Bridgestone, Renault/Ferrari battle?

GF: It's tough. It's very tight. Ferrari and Bridgestone have made a big step forward together so that Ferrari has been very very competitive in the last couple of races and we expect that competitiveness during the rest of the season.

Q. Michael, I have to ask whether you're disappointed with that or satisfied with the result?

Michael Schumacher: It's all about the strategy, whether you can be disappointed or you should be rather happy. In general, I think we knew we might have a little sacrifice for qualifying but we have a very strong race pace and that's what we have to concentrate on and that's what we obviously knew when we started the weekend: no surprise.

Q. How did the third qualifying session work out for you? It looked like you had a slight problem maybe with a slower car on your first run.

MS: No, I didn't have any... yeah, it's true actually. I had Jarno in front of me. The lap wasn't a great lap, but luckily the last lap was free of traffic.

Q And you got the best from the car and we're now talking strategy as you say.

MS: Yeah, yeah, we maximised our performance in a way. Although my last set didn't feel as great honestly - I should have been quicker on it – but nevertheless, we're third, I am on the clean side of the starting grid which should be a little better for me.

Q. Fernando, a big day for you tomorrow. Is it a different feeling for you in this Spanish Grand Prix in front of your home crowd?

FA: Yes, a little bit different. But there's no pressure, it's more motivation. After testing here all through the winter with empty grandstands, when you come here to the Grand Prix it's a completely new feeling, new emotion in the car, and I enjoy it so much - every lap – and for sure tomorrow the 66 laps won't be enough to enjoy all the race.

Press Conference

Q. Fernando, the first stage is completed, what about the next one?

FA: Next one, we will see tomorrow. The important thing today was getting the maximum from the car, get a good qualifying, again with no traffic, no problems and get through the last part of qualifying with no problems and we did our job. We did a good set-up in the car this morning preparing for qualifying and everything works OK. Again, both laps with no traffic and no problems in the car, and again, pole position after Nurburgring, second consecutive time so nothing to say, really.

Q. Did you change the car much as the conditions have changed?

FA: Yes, to be honest. We found a different car this morning as we expected, a little bit too much oversteer in the car and then we made some changes for Q1 and everything started working OK, but in Q1 maybe there was the possibility that everything was wrong and qualifying was over, but we were lucky. We did the good job again with the engineers and all the team worked hard to be on the first row tomorrow.

Q. Were you expecting Ferrari to be your major competitors rather than Honda or McLaren?

FA: After yesterday's times and the analysis we did last night, I think Ferrari was the strongest competitor again. Honda were quick this morning, but not so much in qualifying and McLaren were a little bit down. But you never know in qualifying. Sometimes you are close to going out in Q2 and then you fight for pole in Q3. It's a little bit strange.

Q. And how are you going to feel in the next 23 hours?

FA: Looking forward to the race. As I said before in the press conference, for me it is a fantastic feeling driving here with this support from the grandstand. I see people enjoying the race so tomorrow's 66 laps will not be enough for me. There's only one opportunity a year, so I need to enjoy tomorrow.

Q. Giancarlo, a great Renault one-two. Did you also have to do a lot of changes?

GF: Yes, of course we made some adjustments in the set-up and especially little things to make the car okay. The performance in the Grand Prix tomorrow looks very promising. I am happy for today and I think tomorrow we can do a good race and a good result.

Q. Very very close behind Fernando's time. Is there a little frustration you weren't ahead of him?

GF: I think it's important to be there and I think looking at the performance today I'm really disappointed with the laps that happened in the last Grand Prix. There is a chance to do much better and score a lot more points. But certainly we've had the potential since the beginning of the season and it's another chance to score a lot of points.

Q. Michael, has it been a difficult weekend so far with the changing track conditions?

MS: Not so much really. It was fairly straightforward.

Q. You have a great record. Retired once in 15 Grands Prix here. Seven times winner, seven times on pole.

MS: It's in the past.

Q. How clear are tactics here?

MS: There seems to be two options. I'm not sure whether it is so clear.

Q. Obviously Felipe was ahead of you until your last run. How important was it to get ahead of him.

MS: Honestly, I knew what Fernando's time was and so that was my aim. The rest I worry about later. I didn't actually know the time he (Massa) had done.

Q. The margin between yourself and Renault was quarter of a second. Did you expect that?

MS: I've seen that our tyres were not superb for qualifying all weekend long so maybe a little bit down there. We believe more in the race. It may be it's a characteristic of the two tyre manufacturers. That's what we have and what we live with and we're very happy with that.

Questions From The Floor

Q. (Livio Oricchio – O Estado de Sao Paulo) Michael, you suggested that there will be different strategies within the team. Is this correct?

MS: I didn't say this.

Q. You suggested it.

MS: I said there are two possibilities for the strategy. I don't know what these guys have. They're not going to tell us. Ask them.

Q. (Fritz-Dieter Rencken – The Citizen) Michael, it's nothing to do with the session, but can you confirm reports that you'll be co-operating in some sort of Hollywood movie or cartoon?

MS: Yeah, it's true that I give my voice for a sort of cartoon movie, yeah.

Q. (Fritz-Dieter Rencken – The Citizen) What character?

MS: A Ferrari car, what else?

Ecclestone negotiating to promote Spa

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone is negotiating with the Belgian authorities to acquire the rights for the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps.

But the Briton is concerned that lengthy negotiations may see the event skipped again in 2007.

The 2006 Belgian Grand Prix was cancelled after the current promoter hit financial problems.

Ecclestone himself was the promoter of the race until 2002, and after a year off, the event returned to the 2004 Formula One calendar with a new promoter, local music impresario and former touring car champion Didier Defourny.

However, after two seasons, Defourny hit financial problems, and with local government refusing to back the Spa event, the race was removed from the 2006 calendar.

Ecclestone is now looking to promote the event himself, the Briton confirming today that he is negotiating with the circuit's society and the community of Spa-Francorchamps.

"We're talking to them about it; we want to take it over," Ecclestone told autosport.com. "We're hoping we can do something for 2007. It's just a matter of getting people to agree.

"We couldn't purchase the track, because it's a public road, so it's a little bit difficult. But we're trying to do a deal to hold the race, and I'll be the promoter. That's the whole idea."

Ecclestone warned that the local bureaucracy will need to be hastened. "They'll have to hurry up, we can't negotiate forever," he said. "Unless they want the race in 2008, then we can spend another year."

Ecclestone did have a clear idea what he would do with the historic Grand Prix venue, if he were able to acquire the track.

"If I could purchase it, I would, and I'd then put a toll road in and wouldn't have a race," he quipped.

The guys an *******

Turning Spa into a toll road would suck - no grand prix there...having to pay to use it rather than having it as a public road....

:mad:

Kolles urges FIA to act on V10 engines

Midland managing director Colin Kolles has once again urged the FIA to act to further limit the V10 engines used by Toro Rosso following qualifying for the Spanish Grand Prix.

Kolles has been vocal about his unhappiness at the current equivalency formula since the start of the season, and he reiterated his calls for change in Barcelona after his drivers were outqualified by the Toro Rosso duo of Tonio Liuzzi and Scott Speed.

Tiago Monteiro finished as 18th fastest while Christijan Albers was 19th.

And with the V10 engines used by Toro Rosso expected to give them a clear edge at the Monaco Grand Prix, where torque is vital for a good lap, Kolles has urged the sport's governing body to act before the Monte Carlo race.

"The team worked very hard to improve from yesterday and the drivers did a good job to get the most out of the package, so in that sense I'm reasonably happy," said Kolles.

"On the other hand, I also think we would be in the later qualifying stages by now if everyone was using the same engine formula, and by this, of course, I'm referring to the V10s.

"We lost a lot of time to them in the first sector because of their straight-line speed, so it's obvious the equivalency formula is not working. I hope this issue is resolved before Monaco."

Kolles comments come after Liuzzi complained about the lack of top speed of his car on the Barcelona circuit straight.

Briatore puzzled by Ferrari speed

Renault boss Flavio Briatore has said he is puzzled by Ferrari's strong pace in qualifying for the Spanish Grand Prix - especially because some other Bridgestone runners have struggled for pace this weekend.

Although Fernando Alonso and Giancarlo Fisichella locked out the front row of the grid for tomorrow's race at the Circuit de Catalunya, Briatore has said he is at a loss to explain why Ferrari were able to put up such a strong challenge.

"Ferrari are amazing," he said after qualifying. "The Michelin tyre is working very well here and it looks like Bridgestone only works with Ferrari. It is something really, really strange. It is something that we need to think about."

Although Renault were beaten by Ferrari at last weekend's European Grand Prix, despite having grabbed pole position, Briatore claims he is more confident about his team's chances this time out.

"If you start on pole then it is normal that you are confident for the race – and especially we see here that Michelin did a very good job. We know already in Germany we were penalised because Bridgestone were much, much better – but this time we are better.

"But although I say better, not with Ferrari. The package of Bridgestone and Ferrari is different to any other package and this is something that we need to understand why."

Speaking about the importance of having Fisichella up at the front of the field to help the team, Briatore said that he did not want to put too much pressure on the Italian.

"It is important to have two cars up front," he said. "Two cars in front is always important. We are leading the championship at the moment and we don't need to put any pressure on anybody at the moment because in the points we are in front.

"But tomorrow the only people we are fighting with is Ferrari because everybody else is a little bit far behind."

Senna back in F1?

It appears that moves are afoot to push Bruno Senna, the 22-year-old nephew of the late Ayrton, into Formula 1 for 2007.

After just five races in British Formula BMW and Formula Renault he moved in to British F3 series in 2005 and has started winning races this year with Raikkonen Robertson Racing. What is interesting is that Senna has also driven cars on a number of F1 tracks on which it is not possible to test: in Bahrain he drove in the Chevrolet Lumina, in Melbourne he turned up in Australian Formula 3 and won against meagre opposition in the BMW Track Attack. In Monaco he is tipped to drive a Porsche celebrity car. It is not difficult to see a pattern in all this, nor to suggest that Gerhard Berger, Ayrton Senna's great friend and team-mate, is the man facilitating this programme. Berger denies that he is managing Senna, but he appears to have a strong mentoring role.

There have even been suggestions that, with help from Berger, Senna might become part of Red Bull's burgeoning junior driver development programme. Since this has already developed four highly promising drivers: Tonio Liuzzi, Scott Speed, Neel Jani and Michael Ammermuller, however, and there are another 14 youngesters on the payroll further down the racing ladder, it is difficult to see how Senna would be slotted in.

There is also the risk that too much too soon might ultimately prove harmful to the Brazilian's career. People in F1 have short memories, but back in the 1980s RJ Reynolds, via its Camel brand, dallied with little success with a racing programme centred on sons and siblings of famous drivers. Senna has proved himself to be a quick and personable young man, but has little experience in cars and he has yet to truly prove that he has what it takes. The risk of pushing him too soon is not just that it could hurt his career, but that it might also damage the Senna brand itself. Wiser counsel might be for him to undertake a season of GP2 in 2007, with a view to graduating to F1 in 2008 if it transpires that he genuinely has what it takes.

f1.jpg

Looks like we could be in for a good race :D

Another engine change for Villeneuve

Jacques Villeneuve is to have his second engine change in as many days after qualifying for Sunday's Spanish grand prix.

With the French Canadian already moving ten places down the grid because his Nurburgring-spec V8 was damaged, BMW-Sauber decided that another change - and another ten-place demotion that does not further affect his starting position - was the best strategy for the upcoming races in Barcelona and Monte Carlo.

'As Jacques is starting from the last row anyway, we will fit another fresh engine to give him the best possible chances for here and Monaco,' said team boss Mario Theissen.

Great stuff as always Simon :D

Wondering, whats happened to Kimi? If this continues on, he wont have a chance at the title. Where is all the raw pace we saw last year, either win or car failure. I kinda want that back.

Looking at todays qualifying, it looks like the car is heavy again. Longer first stint. Im not sure that its going to suit the McLarens though with the raw pace shown by the Ferrari's and Renault's. I certainly hope that McLaren just go lighter in the next race and go for it.

Suprised at JPM's pace. Looks to me that the McLaren's are definatly not hooked up like they are suppose to be.

If the Ferrari's get close behind the Renaults down that straight, I think we will see the Ferrari just go right passed. The straight line performance they got down the pit straight is unbelievable over the other teams.

Again, looks like the race is between the Renault of Alonso and the Ferrari of Schummy. Fisi and Massa would want something to say though. The Honda's and McLaren's battling it out between them selves behind the main 2 teams.

Best of Hope to the McLaren's. Hoping for some good points from them :)

A new feature for this thread - pics!

Let me know if you like them/don't/are worried about 56k users etc...but I thought it would be a good idea to get some pics going alongside all the great text provided by Flibster :)

So here we go (from quali):

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

B1.jpg

F2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom