2008 Belgian GP - Race 13/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
He drives in the highest class of racing cars, he gets paid millions to race, he has been at the top of the standings since he began and you find it stange that Lewis is confident in his ability and thinks he is the best :confused:

I don't find it "strange" at all. I just find it irritating that a kid who hasn't even spent two full seasons in F1 and hasn't won this year's title yet seems to think that he's God's gift to motor racing. That isn't confidence, that's just arrogance. Even if it was just an annoyed outburst at a lawyer, it's still going to be an indication of what he thinks of himself. In time, he might well be.....scratch that, he will be the best on the grid, no question. He'll have all those "1" decals on the car, and he'll never have to ride in a team mate's wheeltracks again as he had to at Monaco in '07 no matter who he ends up partnering.

As for "he has been at the top of the standings since he began" - he's only ever been in a McLaren, it would be a pretty profound failure if he hadn't spent all his time in F1 at the pointy end of things, rookie status notwithstanding! I honestly think that's part of the 'problem' I have with him. At least someone like Vettel is doing his F1 apprenticeship in what is nominally a midfield car at best. Senna did his time at Toleman before moving to race winning teams (Lotus then McLaren). Schumacher did his time at Jordan and Benetton in the years of Williams dominance. Hamilton has had the good fortune to have been nurtured by McLaren practically the whole way through his motorsport career, has been parachuted into F1 straight into one of the best cars on the grid (the best on many an occasion) - who's to say that Vettel couldn't do what Hamilton is doing if he'd been handed equipment like that rather than a modified Red Bull? Or what Kubica could do if he was there rather than at BMW?

Hamilton is bloody good. But the best? We'll have to wait a little bit more for that.

You are completely diluded if you think MS wasnt arrogant

I'm going to go ahead and take Murray Walker and Martin Brundle's opinion over yours. Both of whom have said on several occasions that Schumacher is not an arrogant man, he simply has the self-belief that goes hand-in-hand with world beating talent. Schumacher earned the right to have that self-belief. Hamilton will have as well once he's gotten a title, but until then....

Caporegime
I don't find it "strange" at all. I just find it irritating that a kid who hasn't even spent two full seasons in F1 and hasn't won this year's title yet seems to think that he's God's gift to motor racing. That isn't confidence, that's just arrogance. Even if it was just an annoyed outburst at a lawyer, it's still going to be an indication of what he thinks of himself. In time, he might well be.....scratch that, he will be the best on the grid, no question. He'll have all those "1" decals on the car, and he'll never have to ride in a team mate's wheeltracks again as he had to at Monaco in '07 no matter who he ends up partnering.

As for "he has been at the top of the standings since he began" - he's only ever been in a McLaren, it would be a pretty profound failure if he hadn't spent all his time in F1 at the pointy end of things, rookie status notwithstanding! I honestly think that's part of the 'problem' I have with him. At least someone like Vettel is doing his F1 apprenticeship in what is nominally a midfield car at best. Senna did his time at Toleman before moving to race winning teams (Lotus then McLaren). Schumacher did his time at Jordan and Benetton in the years of Williams dominance. Hamilton has had the good fortune to have been nurtured by McLaren practically the whole way through his motorsport career, has been parachuted into F1 straight into one of the best cars on the grid (the best on many an occasion) - who's to say that Vettel couldn't do what Hamilton is doing if he'd been handed equipment like that rather than a modified Red Bull? Or what Kubica could do if he was there rather than at BMW?

Hamilton is bloody good. But the best? We'll have to wait a little bit more for that.
At last its nice to have someone that echoes my thoughts on Hamilton as a driver and as a person :)

One thing considering the Hamilton quote (no doubt due to taking pot shots from the Ferrari lawyer - but thats what lawyers are for) is also the fact that he was in a hearing where he was defending his actions - it demonstrates his obvious immaturity - theres a time and a place for such a statement. Totally understand it on a race weekend you need that self-belief and confidence but when you are at a hearing to discuss your potential misdemeanour its in your best interest not to come over arrogant and obnoxious.

I feel sorry for Lewis, the opportunity he has is one of a kind but the way he has been managed/coerced (by his father and Ron) really makes me think he will fail as a person. As far as Im aware off-track Schumacher is meant to be a really nice bloke to know...

Whatever happens he is a great driver, but I defy anyone to be able to say he will turn into an all-time great - you may feel he should be, but hes got quite a long way to go...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
He was even annoying behind a safety ar and even managed to eliminate another driver behind a safety car by leaving too much distance between him and the safety car by braking too hard.
Montoya didn't suffer at all. MS was the only guy who lost out. :D

I think he is saying that in your opinion MS being a hard racer is ok but apparently it is not ok for LH.

Maybe i've read it wrong.
Except he's not talking about on-track antics, he's talking about the mouth. ;)

The other drivers completely taking the proverbial out of Lewis was brilliant.

Best one was Alonso on Italian TV during the 3rd practice session, when Hamilton eventually ventured out on the track, long after everyone else had done theirs:

Biago Maglienti: "Why Hamilton is driving, and everyone else not?"
Fernando Alonso: "Because Hamilton has balls."

:D :D :D

Soldato
I'm going to go ahead and take Murray Walker and Martin Brundle's opinion over yours. Both of whom have said on several occasions that Schumacher is not an arrogant man, he simply has the self-belief that goes hand-in-hand with world beating talent. Schumacher earned the right to have that self-belief. Hamilton will have as well once he's gotten a title, but until then....

Im sorry but they are both blinded by his "brilliance" - if he was so good then he wouldnt have had to "win" his first championship by crippling another car after his own was already fubar, or been stripped completely from another championship (and FIA messed up again by allowing race wins to stand - another stupid decision) - let alone all the other questionable things he did on the track or associated by F1

He was arrogant - no question about it

Whatever happens he is a great driver, but I defy anyone to be able to say he will turn into an all-time great - you may feel he should be, but hes got quite a long way to go...

Even people with MS tinted glases could have said at the end of the 94 season that MS would be an all time great either , thats the equivelant time scale from the beginning of their F1 careers (effectively)

Of course LH has a long way to go - Im sure he is only considering his first Championship currently, and thats all he should be focused on, I certainly have never heard him even try to consider himself "an all time great"

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Im sorry but they are both blinded by his "brilliance"

I like how you put brilliance in quote marks. Lets you say it without actually having to, if you get my meaning. Nicely done.

if he was so good then he wouldnt have had to "win" his first championship by crippling another car after his own was already fubar

What has his ability as a racing driver got to do with it? You said he was arrogant, I post that Murray and Martin don't agree, and you go off at a tangent about Australia '94 somehow proving that he wasn't a great driver. Unrelated, and also complete donkey balls.

or been stripped completely from another championship

Not a Ferrari driver being disqualified from the championship! I thought the FIA were biased towards Ferrari!

(and FIA messed up again by allowing race wins to stand - another stupid decision)

Why?

As I recall, he won all those races fairly (and in one case, made the entire field look ridiculous). So they should stand. He then tried to win the title unfairly, so was disqualified from the championship. Not seeing much wrong there.

let alone all the other questionable things he did on the track or associated by F1

What other questionable things?

Chopping in front of drivers off the line? Well shoot, Senna made that move his own. And I see young Lewis has developed pretty decent skills at it as well. Storming off to try and punch DC's lights out at Spa in '98? The guy had just had a crash that probably could have killed him if the angle had been slightly different. I'm not surprised he wanted to get hold of the person that caused it and ask them if they'd mind telling him what exactly they thought they were doing.

He was arrogant - no question about it

Nice to see logic and reason are still out to lunch.

From Murray's autobiography:

'Tell me what that arrogant ******* Schumacher's really like', someone once said to me.

'Hey, just a minute,' I replied, 'have you met him? Have you talked to him? Why do you say he's arrogant?'

'You've only got to look at him haven't you? And he's Gerrman.'

'Well hang on. Your prejudice is showing. I fought them during the war but just because you're German doesn't mean you're off limits. You're wrong. He's a really decent bloke, he's never been anything other than helpful and considerate to me and I've got a lot of time for him. He's as friendly as you can expect anybody in his position to be. In fact he's an amazingly normal bloke if you know him. Ask anyone who does. Loves his wife, children and football. All that sort of thing. All you see of him on the box is when he's under colossal pressure at the track with the whole of Italy and Ferrari depending on him and with every Tom, Dick and Harry wanting a piece of his life....Fair enough he's their hero but he's there to do a job, which is to win races'.

Yep, certainly sounds like Murray is blinded by Schumacher's "brilliance", doesn't it?

Or, you know, possibly not.

Caporegime
Oooohhh I see what you did there - very clever ;):p

I still dont get how it wants admissable - I just dont :confused:

Somehow Hamiltons penalty equated to replace a drive-through, yet in Luizzis case the same length of penalty I guess didnt? AFAIK the FIA has rules to stop appeals against drive-through penalties...

**** me the FIA is run by Forrest Gump...

Last edited:
Soldato
Well the FIA had their chance and blew it as usual, just bringing the sport lower and lower.

No one really expected anything else did they?

I am particularly disappointed by CW, it really is about time Bernie's boys bugger of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom