2008 Malaysian GP - Race 2/18

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Definately think Raikkonen will get another easy win at bahrain though, although maybe the mclarens will be much closer (and hopefulling filling the 2nd and 3rd steps of the podium at least...)

I'm a huge McLaren fan and can't stand Ferrari, but even I have to admit Bahrain is going to be a Ferrari wash out. Even going to change the fantasy teams in preparation to :)

Soldato
Apparently the top brass at Ferrari are big Alonso fans and wanted him to join them in 2009. This was one of the main reasons why Alonso wanted only a 1yr deal for 2008.

It would make it very interesting indeed and would be a mouthwatering prospect to see Alonso and Kimi race in the same car. Some would argue that a Kimi/Alonso partnership would be even stronger than the Hamilton/Alonso pairing of last year.

It sure would be exciting to see those 2 going at it.

:)

Caporegime
Was a dull race to say the least, recorded it and watched it earlier today. Disappointed with Hamilton finishing 5th, his first pit stop cost him and being stuck behind Weber didnt help either:(. A few more laps and he would have definitely caught Trulli but i guess 5th place is better than nothing. Hamilton seemed to be doing better on hard tyres rather than the soft ones...so god knows why they went with the softer tyres in the first place...strange tactics from McLaren to say the least.

Im hoping Hamilton bounces back after Bahrain...hopefully taking victory there...cant stand Ferrari and that boring **** Kimi:p.

Soldato
Would definitely be good to see, I can't help but think that Alonso would face a similar environment to that at mclaren though, Ferrari will likely be behind Raikkonen as he will probably have won the last 2 championships for them (making a big assumption there :p) and Raikkonen himself has enough pace to trouble Alonso,

And he proved last year that he didn't find that environment best for racing in, unlikely this year where with a much weaker team mate and a team that obviously favors him he is doing a solid job again...

Associate
Apparently the top brass at Ferrari are big Alonso fans and wanted him to join them in 2009. This was one of the main reasons why Alonso wanted only a 1yr deal for 2008.

It would make it very interesting indeed and would be a mouthwatering prospect to see Alonso and Kimi race in the same car. Some would argue that a Kimi/Alonso partnership would be even stronger than the Hamilton/Alonso pairing of last year.

It sure would be exciting to see those 2 going at it.

:)
But surely Alonso would never want equal billing with a teammate, he didn't exactly work well with Hamilton did he.

Caporegime
Im pretty sure any reigning world champion having a rookie join them would assume that they would be treated as the team no 1 as a default - I know I would.

If Alonso joined Ferrari I doubt the same would happen as it did in Mclaren - Alonso would know his place...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
Im pretty sure any reigning world champion having a rookie join them would assume that they would be treated as the team no 1 as a default - I know I would.

If Alonso joined Ferrari I doubt the same would happen as it did in Mclaren - Alonso would know his place...

But Alonso is a double world champion! He's far too arrogant (and some may say he has every right to be) to not be seen as the number one driver. Even if Ferrari gave them equal billing I'm quite sure neither of those drivers would tolerate the other.
Maybe JRS or Sunama can remind us what happened when Prost and Senna were on the same team, I can't recall who had won what back then.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Maybe JRS or Sunama can remind us what happened when Prost and Senna were on the same team, I can't recall who had won what back then.

Prost and Senna were both at McLaren in '88 and '89 (Senna moving from Lotus). The championship score was one each - Senna took the first of his titles in '88 by winning more races, Prost in '89 won his third in somewhat controversial circumstances in Japan when he and Senna collided at the chicane.

***edit***

As I recall, one of the ironies of the fact that the Senna-Prost partnership turned sour was the fact that it was Prost who convinced McLaren to sign Senna in the first place....

Last edited:
Soldato
Prost and Senna were both at McLaren in '88 and '89 (Senna moving from Lotus). The championship score was one each - Senna took the first of his titles in '88 by winning more races, Prost in '89 won his third in somewhat controversial circumstances in Japan when he and Senna collided at the chicane.

What JRS forgot to mention is that after the acrimonious relationship Senna and Prost had, Prost moved to Ferrari leaving Senna at McLaren. At the same race (Japan), the following year (1990), after getting pole, ahead of Prost, Senna said (before the race started), that he would knock out Prost or whoever was in his way at the first corner. He then went on to do exactly this and went on to win his title by ensuring that he and Prost did not finish. THAT is how arrogant and petulant Senna was. Alonso, is nothing compared to drivers of the past. If a McLaren driver did this in 2007/2008, he would probably be stripped of all his points. Of course, a Ferrari driver would probably get away with it. ;)

Soldato
But Alonso is a double world champion! He's far too arrogant (and some may say he has every right to be) to not be seen as the number one driver.

I think against Kimi, he wont demand No.1 status, especially if Kimi wins the title this year. They will both be double world champs and the racing would be fantastic.

Even if Ferrari gave them equal billing I'm quite sure neither of those drivers would tolerate the other.

Alonso wont like it, but he will keep quiet. Kimi seems like a very laid back character and I doubt he will get involved in an behind-the-scenes shenanigans, which Alonso and Hamilton are both guilty of doing in the past.

JRS

JRS

Soldato

I didn't forget to mention it at all, I simply didn't mention it. I'm not likely to forget the way the '90 championship ended in a hurry....

Senna did what he did out of a sense of righteousness. He honestly believed that he was in the right. He'd been cheated of his title the year before, officialdom had rubbed him up the wrong way by refusing his request to start from the other side of the track, and he'd had enough. If Prost got ahead of him, it was game over - and Prost was going to get ahead of him because Prost had the better side of the track. So he did what he thought was best - he drove straight into the back of Prost's car without breaking.

It wasn't petulance - it was a pre-meditated, calculated decision that he honestly believed was correct. Hugely dangerous? Of course. Wrong in the eyes of virtually everyone else? Certainly. But this was Senna ;)

Caporegime
I think against Kimi, he wont demand No.1 status, especially if Kimi wins the title this year. They will both be double world champs and the racing would be fantastic.
That was my point - he probably wouldnt be happy with it but would understand joining a team that had a more recent world champion - especially of Raikonnens calibre. Alonsos arrogance is par for the course in F1, they wouldnt be able to do what they do if they didnt think they was gods gift to 4 wheels - take R. Schumacher as a fine example...

I have to admit I quite like Raikonnen because of his 'official' attitude - he really doesnt give a crap about the cameras and the sponsors and makes no effort to please the media and Id rather have that then the sponsor-spouting Montoya at the end of every race...

He may not appear to have a personality but he sure has some damn funny principles considering where he is. Definitely makes F1 more interesting for me...

Last edited:
Soldato
Senna did what he did out of a sense of righteousness. He honestly believed that he was in the right.

That is exactly what Alonso thought when he joined McLaren - "I'm a world champion, of course I'm going to get preferential treatment, over the rookie. It's a no-brainer."

In all honesty, over the ages, this has been the right sentiment.

When Senna joined Williams in 1994, he immediately got preferential treatment.

When MS joined Ferrari, he got the preferential treatment.

When Hill joined Jordan, he was immediately given preferential treatment.

When Villeneuve joined BAR, he immediately got preferential treatment.

...and so on.

The only time preferential treatment is not given to a world champion is when another driver of similar callibre is joining. Eg. When Senna joined Prost at McLaren. Or when Prost joined Mansell at Ferrari.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
That is exactly what Alonso thought when he joined McLaren - "I'm a world champion, of course I'm going to get preferential treatment, over the rookie. It's a no-brainer."

I think Senna's belief might have been on a different level to Alonso's.

Did Alonso think it was his right to be given the Number 1 spot in the team, or his destiny? I'd have said that was the difference between him and Senna. Besides, Alonso should have known that McLaren wouldn't play favourites if the two were close in the title race. He might have thought that he was good enough to pummel Hamilton. He wasn't. Senna might have been :)

The only time preferential treatment is not given to a world champion is when another driver of similar callibre is joining. Eg. When Senna joined Prost at McLaren. Or when Prost joined Mansell at Ferrari.

Tell that one to Mansell - he was convinced that Prost got the better equipment.

Back
Top Bottom