2009 Ashes Series - England vs. Australia **Spoilers**

Man of Honour
So England win a bi-annual game of cricket that is only ever played between two teams and the fervour in the news is somewhat extreme. Come the annual award of gongs, there is every indication that the England team will be in line for MBEs.

Am I the only person that finds this somewhat sickening? A gong for winning a game of cricket (which, going by the law of averages, should happen at least a few times every decade) is ridiculous. There are people the length and breadth of Britain changing lives for the better, saving lives and generally making a difference that will not even be considered for such a prestigious award but winning a stupid game gets you first in line. Flawed, deeply flawed. :(

They won't get any MBE's this time round.
And if you think it's bad them even being considered for it you should've been in here when some Man.U. fans were calling for Ryan Giggs to be knighted:o

Permabanned
So England win a bi-annual game of cricket that is only ever played between two teams and the fervour in the news is somewhat extreme. Come the annual award of gongs, there is every indication that the England team will be in line for MBEs.

Am I the only person that finds this somewhat sickening? A gong for winning a game of cricket (which, going by the law of averages, should happen at least a few times every decade) is ridiculous. There are people the length and breadth of Britain changing lives for the better, saving lives and generally making a difference that will not even be considered for such a prestigious award but winning a stupid game gets you first in line. Flawed, deeply flawed. :(

I can't argue with that but then I think the whole honours system is farcical.

Caporegime

I agree! Definitely sour grapes. The pitch was good enough for England, so why not Australia?

Mind you, that article only quotes six op ed pieces from four newspapers, which means it's hardly representative of the entire Australian media. :rolleyes: The ABC gave a fair write-up, with no blame on the pitch or groundsmen:

England has repeated the euphoric scenes of four years ago, reclaiming the Ashes after comprehensively defeating Australia by 197 runs in the fifth and deciding Test at The Oval. Set a record fourth innings target of 546 for victory, Australia was eventually bowled out for 348 in the final session of the fourth day.

[...]

Ponting was quick to praise England's captain Andrew Strauss and his team for a deserved win.

"England have won some really crucial moments during the series, you look through all the stats and you don't know how it turned out like it has," he said. "There's been countless opportunities for us throughout to put our stamp on the series and we haven't been good enough and England has seized whatever momentum they could and run with it. England won the big moments, they've deserved to win the series and full credit to our boys for fighting it out like they have."

Ponting also said he would not blame the uncharacteristically dry Oval pitch for his side's poor performance in the deciding Test.

"It was a poor wicket I thought but it had no influence on the outcome," he said. "Both teams had their chance to bat on it twice, and when we had our chance, probably when the pitch was at its best, we came up short."

(Source).

Soldato
OP
I agree! Definitely sour grapes. The pitch was good enough for England, so why not Australia?

Mind you, that article only quotes six op ed pieces from four newspapers, which means it's hardly representative of the entire Australian media. :rolleyes: The ABC gave a fair write-up, with no blame on the pitch or groundsmen:

I find it bizzare that people complain about a result wicket - yes sometimes it's ridiculous when you get a minefield, but flat batting tracks = boring cricket!

Permabanned
Soldato
I'd just like to pay tribute to Shane Warne for his performance as a Sky Pundit. I've always thought he was a top bloke, the sort of bloke you'd love to have as a mate, even though he is an Aussie. I thought his comments were always interesting and well informed and totally devoid of any bias, which you could quite easily have forgiven an obviously patriotic Australian for being. Just goes to show the sportsmanship which prevails through cricket by and large. Hats off to Shane Warne, and all the other pundits, it really is a fantasic team they have assembled, even good old Bumble. Almost makes the Sky subscription worthwhile.

Caporegime

Absolute rubbish...the fact they lost the test was down to them not reading the wicket correctly when they made their selections...massive mistake not to play Hauritz and also Lee..nothing wrong with the wicket as England showed.

But what really cost them the test and the Ashes was the pathetic batting in the first innings then 2 utterly stupid and silly run outs in the 2nd innings...if Ponting had stayed on with Hussey and made a century and Clarke as well...then the Aussies would have won or drawn the test to retain the Ashes...Hussey finally made some runs but geez he left it a bit too late imho...when he needed to make runs he wasnt able to...if anything hes been the most disappointing Aussie in the whole team.

LOL@ Broad being the next Flintoff...hes good but not that good...not consistant enough for me and unlike Flintoff, he hasnt got the charisma to pick up the team...just having Flintoff in the side made England play much much better imho.

Soldato
OP
I'd just like to pay tribute to Shane Warne for his performance as a Sky Pundit. I've always thought he was a top bloke, the sort of bloke you'd love to have as a mate, even though he is an Aussie. I thought his comments were always interesting and well informed and totally devoid of any bias, which you could quite easily have forgiven an obviously patriotic Australian for being. Just goes to show the sportsmanship which prevails through cricket by and large. Hats off to Shane Warne, and all the other pundits, it really is a fantasic team they have assembled, even good old Bumble. Almost makes the Sky subscription worthwhile.

I love Warney, but I'm not sure about the bias - remember how he chucked his toys out of the pram about a few LBW decisions? Having said that it made amusing viewing!

I'm not a fan of the Sky commentary team much at all TBH.

You can't beat bumble imo! Plus it's good that they've got rid of Willis. I find Botham is a bit frustrating at times but Athers is excellent.

LOL@ Broad being the next Flintoff...hes good but not that good...not consistant enough for me and unlike Flintoff, he hasnt got the charisma to pick up the team...just having Flintoff in the side made England play much much better imho.

I think comparing Broad to Flintoff is wrong because as you said (and I pointed out a while back in this thread) he hasn't the charisma. He does however have a great deal of ability and in that regard I think he can be a world class player and a match winner. As for consistency, I guess we'll find out in a few years but I think at the moment it's a bit harsh to judge him because he's still a young'un!

Soldato
You can't beat bumble imo! Plus it's good that they've got rid of Willis. I find Botham is a bit frustrating at times but Athers is excellent.
Bumble is brilliant. Athers is pretty good. Hussain ain't bad. I have noticed a lack of Willis. Pretty boring and snooty. Beefy does seem a bit silly sometimes being a bit immature with why England haven't done this field placement or what have you. :p

Soldato
If Sky had Boycott then it would be worth the money :)

But I'd take him over sky commentary, even though I love listening to bumble ramble on about anything.

I have only been able to watch one test this time because unfortunately been moving about so not had time to catch it.

I think sporting events like this should be free, it's like the world cup and that really.

Caporegime
I think comparing Broad to Flintoff is wrong because as you said (and I pointed out a while back in this thread) he hasn't the charisma. He does however have a great deal of ability and in that regard I think he can be a world class player and a match winner. As for consistency, I guess we'll find out in a few years but I think at the moment it's a bit harsh to judge him because he's still a young'un!

True the fact hes quite young goes in his favour..time will only tell though.

As for the Sky commentary team...i think getting Warne in was a masterstroke...cant stand Botham, think hes still an utter knob...Athers i thought was great along with bumble...both very good commentators...as for Nasser...hes ok but id rather they got rid of him and Botham. They should get Boycott in as well...hes awesome and says it like it is.

Soldato
I think sporting events like this should be free, it's like the world cup and that really.
Yeah. I really wish the Government would pass a law saying that home Ashes series could be broadcast on Sky Sports but had to be available to a terrestrial broadcaster for free viewing by anyone without Sky Sports. Ashes series in Australia fair enough can be on Sky Sports only.

Soldato
Is the Ashes in Australia available for free for them?

It's probably pie in the sky, but surely national sporting events that are available to everyone will help encourage that particular sport to people that probably would never think about...

This definitely happened in the 2005 Ashes, people that never watch cricket were all of a sudden glued to the action and many probably followed their interest after the competition as well...

Permabanned
Home Tests used to be a listed event, guaranteed to be live on free terrestrial TV, and Tony Blair promised they would remain so.

He then later shamelessly broke his promise.

I still have fond memories of the excellent C4 coverage in 2005. It just hasn't been the same this time around, good though TMS is.

Back
Top Bottom