2012 BBQ Thread!!

Associate
Looking forward to BBQ season.

I will be bring 'old rusty' out of the garage and into the garden over the next few week ready and waiting :D

Associate
Well i'm toying with firing the bbq up tonight, but not sure if i'll have time when I finish work.

Also what coals/lumpwood do you lot find the best? I've always used supermarket own branded coals, and had very variable bbqs with them!!

Soldato
When I'm buying locally I'll look for these...
Supagrill are not too bad and easy to find (much better than supermarket)
Big K are better still but harder to find. I think Waitrose do it.
John lewis sell Weber branded stuff which I really like but some don't. This lasts for hours.

Soldato
Been looking for charcoal BBQ's here. Looking at a drum style, but they are often overly large and most of them don't have a second grill level so you can place stuff off the highest heat to keep warm etc. Nearest I could find was the Outback Omega 100/200 series. They can be a bit pricey though.

Can't wait till BBQ season kicks off again, its the first time in years that I haven't lived in a flat and now have my own garden. Got a BBQ recipes book all ready to kick start.
I had this one for a few years and it was brilliant - yeah it's a decent size but that's not a bad thing as you can do a 3-zone fire if you really want or have good separation between a 2-zone. For the price you'd struggle to get a better one tbh.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3450389/Trail/searchtext>BBQ.htm

Man of Honour
OP
I found a place selling the plum heat beads in bulk and me being stupid, didn't save the link now I can't find it. They did different size orders for like £7-£300

Associate
I'll just leave this here.

Kansas style BBQ sauce

This sauce works with everything pretty much... it's particularly suited to ribs though. The recipes measurements are in "parts". If you want to make a small amount, use a tablespoon. If you want to make more, double everything or use a measuring cup. As long as you measure everything (except the spices) with the same thing, you can't go wrong.

8 - Tomato Ketchup

2 - American Mustard (think French's yellow mustard, like the stuff you have on hot dogs)

2 - Cider Vinegar (White vinegar should work pretty well. As would red or white wine vinegar but cider vinegar is best)

1½ - Worcestershire sauce

1 - Lemon juice (it doesn't matter if it's from a bottle, in fact it's probably better in this case as fresh lemon juice may be too overpowering)

1 - Steak sauce (such as HP brown sauce)

1 - Molasses or black treacle

1 - Honey

4 - Brown sugar

? - Salt (to taste, I recommend Celery salt if you've got it but it doesn't really matter)

? - Hot sauce (to taste, don't use anything too vinegary)

? - Chili powder (same as above minus the bit about vinegar)

? - Black pepper (to taste)

Mix all of the above together and adjust the seasoning if desired.

1 - Onion, finely chopped (red or white, the colour doesn't matter really)

4 - Garlic cloves, crushed.

1. In a saucepan, sweat the onion on a low heat until it becomes becomes soft and starts to caramelize.
2. Add the crushed Garlic to the pan and cook for thirty second to a minute, just to take away it's raw taste.
3. Pour in the sauce mixture and bring to a simmer. Reduce by a third.
4. Leave to cool before marinating.

EPIC :D

I used ancho chilli powder and smoked paprika.
Can't stop eating it :D

As a rule of thumb, you'll end up with roughly three times the amount of sauce as the ketchup you've used. So if you use 200ml of ketchup, you'll end up with about 600ml of sauce. Don't worry about making too much though, because monkeyspank is right, this sauce is "EPIC"... if I have any left over (but not enough to freeze) I end up just having a spoonful each time I open the fridge.

Last edited:
Associate
That recipe looks damn fine, I will definitely try that..

Went to Bodeans on Thursday night, WOW, I've never had BBQ quite like that before.....the pulled pork was amazing.
So were the burnt ends,
And the Diablo wings,
And the pork ribs,
And the beef ribs....
And the root beer...
It was just like Man vs Food!
And they do take away packs for the freezer so you can pass their stuff off as your own! LoL

Man of Honour
had my first BBQ of the year today, pork and green pepper kebabs in pitta bread, leg of chicken, baked potatos and salad
got sticky toffee pudding and custard in the fridge for later :)

Can't type for toffee
Don

Wzd

Wzd

Associate
Made the old favourite over the weekend, Beer Can Chicken :cool:

beercanchicken.jpg

beercanchicken2.jpg

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
Gonna have a play about later with some of those pitboys recipes ;)

Managed to grab everything bar ribs this morning, the ribs int eh super market were linke an inch long :/

Looking to grab a few Kg of wings and maybe the same of ribs.
Where do you guys get yer ribs from?
What kinda price and I looking at for nice chunky maybe beef ribs?

Can't type for toffee
Don
Both my local butchers extremely puzzled when I asked for racks of beef ribs lol.
Neither do chicken wings either :/

To the tinterwebs lol

Are there ay dicount codes or anything available for the places you suggested Claucus?

Man of Honour
OP
Can't say I've looked for codes. Really need to get into the habbit.

I've used meat packs before and I've had rosedevon saved for this seasons BBQ. I prefer stuff racked up, especially for slow cooking.

So you need to be careful buying online as they often don't say racks or individual which is annoying.

Associate
Both my local butchers extremely puzzled when I asked for racks of beef ribs lol.
Neither do chicken wings either :/

To the tinterwebs lol

Are there ay dicount codes or anything available for the places you suggested Claucus?

Try asking your butcher for a jacobs ladder cut.

Did two pork shoulders this weekend along with two hams. Both smoked overnight over apple wood.

Back
Top Bottom