2012 Weight Loss Thread

Caporegime
Happy New Year folks. Continuing on from last year's interesting 2011 Weight Loss Thread, here is a new one for discussing hopes and achievements during 2012.

Right now, I'm 250 lbs on the dot near enough and want to get rid of roughly 1 stone per quarter. My target by the end of the year is to reach 190 lbs.

Soldato
Started sometime mid 2011 i think (can't actually remember!) and shocked myself when i stood on the scales with the gym instructor and it came up at 119.5Kg!

Weighed in last week at 108Kg so imhappy with that, but i probably have another year of weight loss to go to get to the target of approx 90-95kg.

Good luck everyone :)

Soldato
266lbs (19stone) got down to 238lb (17stone) in November before I had surgery. Now 209lb (14stone13) and hoping by summer I will be down to around 175lb (12.5stone)

Cant really start exercising till I see the consultant mid January but 2012 is the year I WILL be thinner. :D

Soldato
I started 2011 at 315lbs (22 and a half stone) I started 2012 at 216lbs (just under 15 and a half stone) I'm aiming for around another 1 and a half to 2 stones, I'm 6ft tall and a fairly large build.

The main changes were portion size, more accountability for what I'm eating and why and more exercise. I also worked out what my trigger foods were, that would likely cause a binge and try to avoid them entirely, often it's easier for me to not eat any of a certain food than have one and immediately want another and another until it ends up being a binge.

Associate
I started third week of Jan 2011 and lost 8 stone over the course of the year dropping from 23 to just under 15. I took a few weeks off and put on a few pounds in December but I'm back on the plan now and put together a blog showing my progress this time. If you'd like to follow my blog you can at: http://simontowell.wordpress.com

Soldato
Piled it on in Q4 2011 now I am 14 stone.

Planning on getting back into shape and back into boxing this year. Starting with my first run at 6am tomorrow morning.

Associate
Currently almost dead on 210 and by the end of the year I want to be around the 160 mark. This year went well although I didn't participate in the last thread but not looking forward to any plateau's i hit :(

Man of Honour
It would be good to read how you all achieved these losses.

My method was boringly obvious - I started to look at the contents of the things I ate and drank and stopped eating and drinking things that had very high percentages of sugar and/or fat, especially saturated fat.

Weighed in at ~103Kg, which had gradually crept on over years. Had a whole slew of tests for an unrelated medical issue, which uncovered an underlying metabolic problem that increases my risk of various health problems. Liver disease, heart disease, diabtetes, stuff like that. And, as an added "hahaha, up yours", obesity. Which further increases all the risks. A bit of luck, really, as people with this problem don't normally find out until it's caused health problems. I've got some minor, reversible, liver trouble. No treatment, but the condition can be managed by being fitter than average. Do that and I'll have a normal life expectancy. Don't do that and I'll be at increased risk of various things that would reduce my quality of life and kill me. The consultant advised that a gradual loss of weight and increase in fitness would be a good thing. No need to go mad about it, this is a lifelong thing. Ease the weight down at a reasonable rate, over a year, 18 months...no rushing at it.

So...bit of a wake-up call there.

I was down to 89Kg last time I checked, mostly from switching from biscuits to Ryvita and from ordinary pop to diet or weak squash (flavoured tap water, basically).

Take a look at the nutritional info on biscuits (FAT!) and normal pop (SUGAR!), it's a real eye-opener. Oh, and fruit snack bars. Fruit. Healthy, right? No, not really. You can get less sugar in chocolate.

I roughly go with this:

When I'm shopping, I read the labels and don't buy anything with much fat, sugar and especially saturated fat. If there's a couple of things I fancy, I buy the one with less fat in it.

That simple, that casual.

I'm not really bothered about weight, since that's not directly relevant to anything I care about. What I'm bothered about is health. Weight is simply an easy to measure rough guide to health. I don't have a weight goal and I don't weigh myself much. I go on how loose my trousers have become (had to buy belts, really need new trousers) and how I feel. Massive improvement there, due to better heart function. I run home from work sometimes now, because I can. A hundred yards sloppy jogging would have seen me gasping and sweating before. A mile or so brisk running is needed for the same effect now. Maybe in a year it'll take 5 miles. Or 10.

Just a simple, casual start and you'll benefit. It's not about weight per se. That's just a very rough correlation that's easily measured. It's about fitness and it's mainly about your heart. It's startling how much difference I've noticed from simple, casual changes. No dieting, which people do for weeks, hate it and can't wait to stop. Changes in eating habits, and it's really as simple as reading labels and thinking "OK, I like this stuff, but not much more than I like that stuff, which has half the fat and a third of the saturated fat. I'll eat that stuff instead."

I don't do moderacy well, so eating less of the higher-fat stuff wasn't going to work for me. Implementing moderacy indirectly by substituting one thing for another works much better for me.

This is probably the most relevant difference to me, as my main dietary flaw was biscuits:

Hobnobs:

21.7% fat overall.
9.8% saturated fat.

Ryvita (plain)

1.7% fat overall.
0.3% saturated fat.

Are Hobnobs nicer? Yes. That much nicer? No. After a little while, I started to rather like the taste of Ryvita anyway.

Your sense of taste adjusts. Week 1: Coke tastes good, diet coke is spew! Week 2, diet coke is tolerable. Week 3, diet coke is OK. Week 4, diet coke is pretty good...try some normal coke again, for comparison... normal coke is spew!

Have 2 sugar in your tea? Put 1 in instead. It'll taste wrong for a little while, but give it a week or two and it'll taste right.

It's about little things you can change permanently without them bothering you.

Associate
Was losing weight steadily from june til december 2011, but over christmas have put on about half a stone.

Currently weigh about 13 ish stone (but am only about 5ft 6/7) so looking to get down to maybe 11 and a half.

Good luck everyone :)

Associate
I am aiming to lose some weight this year. Over the last 4 years I have put on about 3 and a half stone. I haven't changed my eating habits but I have finished uni (where I was much more active) and got a full time job sitting at a desk. So I'm going to be aiming to do much more exercise.

Soldato
Hobnobs:

21.7% fat overall.
9.8% saturated fat.

Ryvita (plain)

1.7% fat overall.
0.3% saturated fat.

Are Hobnobs nicer? Yes. That much nicer? No. After a little while, I started to rather like the taste of Ryvita anyway.

Fat isn't anywhere near the demon it's made out to be, I'd much rather eat the Hobnobs and I would, though it would likely to cause me to binge on the whole packet so I'd just rather not eat any at all, but there's no way I'd be eating Ryvita's :p

Soldato
2010 - 6 months Muay Thai Boxing in Thailand - Down 35KG
2010/2011 - Xmas, New Years, back to work - 10KG put on
2012 - 4 months Muay Thai Boxing in Thailand - It's coming back off (And more I hope!) :D

Back
Top Bottom