2016 Chilli Growers Thread

Soldato
Tomato feed is too intense.

The main thing is put it under some sunlight and give it a little water..

If it's going to survive it needs to start producing energy. As long as it didn't freeze with the latest cold temps?

I don't think it froze, it's been sat indoors on a window sill by a radiator all winter so fingers crossed.

On order, thanks! :)

Soldato
Does Chilli Focus make a marked difference over tomato food then?

I think the chilli plant is more sensitive to nutrients. Mainly because some, like those from pakistan, are used to draught and lack of water. Hence overwatering them is dangerous (although fruiting they use a lot) and using too intense nutrients can cause them to have problems.

Associate
I was looking at some chilli seeds the other day thinking I should grow my own, this thread has made my mind up. Any recommendations for a good medium/hot chilli.

I'd recommend Apachi for a good chili to have in the kitchen. Easy to grow, cheap to buy, not too big and produces lots of medium sized and medium heat chillis

Soldato
Good shout - will dig out the Electric Propagator and get some seeds ordered again.

I'll order some seeds - then happy to send on any spares to someone if they want them. Once I get them will let you know.

Habanero Lemon Chilli Seeds
Demon Red Chilli Seeds (AGM)
Apache F1 Chilli Seeds (AGM)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Goods arrived this morning.

wqtlnGk.jpg

Now I need to decide how to germinate them. Does a putting the seeds in a wet paper towel, then in a ziploc and stored in a warm cupboard still get good results?

Soldato
My seeds have shipped :)

Awesome - how are you germinating?

I've used a small electric germinator on the window sill before. Alternatively you could use a ice-cream tub with damp tissue paper, put the seeds between, seal and put in a warm spot.

Most seeds need a decent temperature to germinate quickly - it depends on the plant species.

Once they have germinated you will need to plant then give them light too - at this point putting them on the window sill in a clear tub is good.

Soldato
The damp kitchen towel method has worked perfectly for me every time. I decided to try putting the seeds straight into those little compost pods last year and they didnt germinate, so I lost a couple of weeks as I had to start again.

Ideally it wants to be between 25-30c and not below 21c.

Associate
I do a 24 hour soak in weak tea
Followed by sandwiched twixt damp kitchen towel in plastic container in airing cupboard (28-32 degC)
At the first sign of germination (usually 4-7 days) i plant them all out, put them under 16 hours of light and temps in the 20's (but light windowsill would do)

Associate
IMG_0758.jpg

My grow tent with last years over wintering chillis, a few cut down to Bonsai sized and also this years seedling growing.

IMG_0757.jpg

Last years Naga looking healthy and flowering

IMG_0754.jpg

Apachi BonChi - this was a stick in Autumn and has grown new leaves, flowers and fruit in a few months in the tent.

IMG_0755.jpg

Bolivian Rainbow BonChi

IMG_0756.jpg

This years seedlings started on 9th jan
-White habanero
-Habanero Hot Lemon
-Monster Naga
-Carolina Reaper
-Fatali Jigsaw

Associate
I ordered a selection of seeds from South Devon Chilli Farm on Wednesday and they arrived yesterday. Impressed with the service.

I'll launch them this weekend given half a chance.

Soldato
Nice - I see you're using floro tubes. I used a HPS 400W lamp where you need 5 foot of space between the lamp and the top of the plants or they fry! Electricity bill for that was high!

Annoyingly we've just changed our boiler and relocated the combi in the loft so I need a electrical propagator to get the seeds germinated at the higher temps..

May start some sun flowers early too.. so they get the full summer.

One thing I remember is that the hotter the plan, typically the longer they take to fruit on their first year. So you may only get a couple the first year... then over wintered they just go nuts.. had masses of nagas off the overwintered plants.

Associate
OP
I've put a few of my seeds in damp kitchen roll and put them in a half closed ziploc. They're currently in my dining room which is around 21/22C most of the day. Is this warm enough to get them going? Some places say 18C is enough while others are closer to 30C

Soldato
I've put a few of my seeds in damp kitchen roll and put them in a half closed ziploc. They're currently in my dining room which is around 21/22C most of the day. Is this warm enough to get them going? Some places say 18C is enough while others are closer to 30C

Depends on the species and where they originated. The hotter species ones typically need hotter temps.

Back
Top Bottom