2016 Riding Plans/Dream Destinations

Soldato
TT booked again (with my dad). Just bought my son an MT125 so quite fancy doing a trip with him (Scotland maybe). Then a Euro trip but not sure where. Fancy Norway if I can get enough time, or maybe Slovenia.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Good thing you didn't buy him the Duke, shame the MT125's are so expensive. I would get one, but I'll just hold on till A2...

Soldato
Yeah, it was between then MT and the Duke. Local dealer support and known Yamaha build quality swung it. ABS model for £3900 on the road. Pricey but you have to have a 125 for 2 years now so worth getting a decent one.

I rode it back from the dealer this morning and was quite impressed. Feels like a light big bike, and pokier than I expected.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
£800 more gets you MT-07 with all the goodies such as akrapovic full system exhaust, over 12 months warranty with Yamaha and only 1-2k miles on the clock.

BTW you don't have to spend 2 years on a 125, when you hit 19 you can go straight to do A2 without even owning a 125, you just need a CBT cert.

Soldato
I'd like to go to the alps for a weekend but as it's a 12 hour ride to Switzerland it would probably end up more like a week.

Soldato
The Northcoast 500 is on my to do list, but not on the CB400 - Inverness is 600 miles and 9 solid hours away on the motorway!

I'd like to go to the alps for a weekend but as it's a 12 hour ride to Switzerland it would probably end up more like a week.

You can do the alps in a day from Calais - but there'd be no point going for a weekend there, I mean it's 2 days just there and back. Maybe a long (4 day) weekend, still only gives you 2 days in the Alps.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Yeah, but if you're just 17 and want to ride, you're on a 125 for 2 years, and the MT125 is probably the nicest way to spend those 2 years!

I know, its just the money that they're asking for 125's is ridiculous considering how much it costs them to make and the quality of them compared to bigger bikes. :rolleyes:

Soldato
The Northcoast 500 is on my to do list, but not on the CB400 - Inverness is 600 miles and 9 solid hours away on the motorway!

yeah, I'm 566 miles away from it :)
But I probably would do this in 2 days and spend the night somewhere on the way, as I don't have the most comfortable bike for long trips :)

Soldato
Scotland again, but in reverse! We did the North Coast 500 last time, starting from the east coast, so this year we'll be doing it from the West coast. Might add a day or two on to spend more time up there and am going to invest in the Kriega US-70 setup with a decent tank bag this time instead of a back pack! Can't wait!

Second camp this year will be Fort William maybe, somewhere around there. Will be stopping in the Lake District on the way up, then day 2 will hit Scotland.

Last edited:
Soldato
Will be interesting to see how the US70 combo fits on the speed triple as I honestly don't think the pillion seat is big enough for a US30 fitted lengthways. Happy to be corrected though :D

Soldato
Ahh you might be ok then - I just remember seeing a speed in a shop and roughly measuring the size of the pillion seat and thinking "hmm, that's very small!" :D

Soldato
4 June I'm finally getting down to the Alps for a week together with a mate. The Alpine challenge between Multistrada and S1000XR, but really just good week's riding with a few fun evenings.

Might consider risking the NC500 in September, but really need 5 days to do it at the right pace coming from the south east of England. Frustrating, as add another couple of hours and you can be in some epic European countries instead.

Soldato
600 miles to Inverness for the NC500 or 600 miles to south of Geneva (plus the eurotunnel) for the Alps from here in Kent, you'd think Scotland would be closer but it's still a bloody long way away!

Back
Top Bottom