2017 car launches

Soldato
"X-wings banned for safety reasons
[2-May-1998-20h05 CET] - The FIA has officially banned the sidepod mounted X-wings ("pingouins"), which have sprouted on most cars this season, for safety reasons.
Quoting the case of Jean Alesi (Sauber), who lost one of his X-wings during a pit-stop during the Argentinian Grand Prix, as evidence, the FIA said that these wings were not only dangerous during pit-stops but also had potential to cause injury to the driver or spectators if they were ripped off during a crash. "

Associate
That actually looks quite basic apart from the tiny sidepods and front nose. I imagine it will be completely different to what is seen at testing and that this is just a very basic spec for the unveiling. If not then its quite underdeveloped compared to the Ferrari and Merc, which I find hard to believe when Newey's involved!

Soldato
That actually looks quite basic apart from the tiny sidepods and front nose. I imagine it will be completely different to what is seen at testing and that this is just a very basic spec for the unveiling. If not then its quite underdeveloped compared to the Ferrari and Merc, which I find hard to believe when Newey's involved!

It's odd they would launch the car in a dumbed down state yet leave the one obvious conceptional idea in clear view.

I think both they and McLaren have gone for a low-drag concept this year (though I suppose 'efficient' is a better description than 'low drag'). Bits will be added in testing of course (the Red Bull's barge-boards will surely grow!) but I don't think either are going to sprout as many flaps and appendages as most of the other cars come Melbourne.

Soldato
Most of the teams seem to sandbag with their launch car. They turn up at the first race with all sorts of extra bits that they didn't want to show to their competitors.

Caporegime
It's odd they would launch the car in a dumbed down state yet leave the one obvious conceptional idea in clear view.

I think both they and McLaren have gone for a low-drag concept this year (though I suppose 'efficient' is a better description than 'low drag'). Bits will be added in testing of course (the Red Bull's barge-boards will surely grow!) but I don't think either are going to sprout as many flaps and appendages as most of the other cars come Melbourne.

Do people not realise RBR have had a whole in the nose for quite some time? It's just had a grill on it most of the time. It's just, actually was going to say bigger but I'm not sure it is, it's just flipped on it's side, before it was a rectangle with longer sides vertical, now they are horizontal.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it covered with a grill at some point to prevent stuff getting in there, which is presumably why it had a grill before.

Associate
They pretty much all have a hole in the end of the nose. It's for cooling the driver and it's usually very blended in to the shape. This is a bit more in your face, suggesting it might be more than just driver cooling.

Man of Honour
TR looks nice. Newey is trolling big time with the RB lack of detail :cool:

Estimated wheel bases - http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=676969&sid=f17d8dd6c9b745efb6ffba2aeed019c7#p676969
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=676969&sid=f17d8dd6c9b745efb6ffba2aeed019c7#p676969
https://twitter.com/kappa224/status/835431533003616256
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=676969&sid=f17d8dd6c9b745efb6ffba2aeed019c7#p676969
Ferrari: 3463 mm
Mercedes: 3666 mm
Renault: 3584mm

CdcYstVWoAAr4gr.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
That Toro Rosso is awesome. Livery wise it's like trip back to the 90s.

The McLaren looks far better on track too, but it's still disappointing compared to how good it could have look.

Do people not realise RBR have had a whole in the nose for quite some time? It's just had a grill on it most of the time. It's just, actually was going to say bigger but I'm not sure it is, it's just flipped on it's side, before it was a rectangle with longer sides vertical, now they are horizontal.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it covered with a grill at some point to prevent stuff getting in there, which is presumably why it had a grill before.
Most cars in my lifetime have had a hole on the nose but that's Pingu.

Caporegime
They pretty much all have a hole in the end of the nose. It's for cooling the driver and it's usually very blended in to the shape. This is a bit more in your face, suggesting it might be more than just driver cooling.

https://www.auto123.com/ArtImages/164047/f1-redbull-nose-rb10-inline.jpg

I meant like a similarly sized hole, it's just far more hidden on that.

They have holes, they just move then around depending on what else they've got going on under the nose. Some years they have the hole likely on the underside and all but completely hidden. Other years it's right up front.

I'd guess it's back on the nose because with so much more allowed to be in the bargeboard area and under the nose an intake there impedes their other airflow management underneath so better to collect it at the front. Though I'd guess this one is both s-duct and inside the nose separates and sends some to the driver.

Back
Top Bottom