2017 car launches

V F

V F

Soldato
McLaren looks truly awful and T-Bar wings look like a something that belong in a bin :/

Sexy 2017 cars? Yeah right.

I think we're nearly back to 2008 looking cars with the low rear wing, wide chassis, the winglets and shark fins...

The cars seem so wide on track.

Associate
I love the look of the new cars except the noses, Force India's reminds me of Toro Rosso's nose in 2014 :D

When does the four engine rule kick in? Is it FP1 at Albert Park? I've read articles comparing engine noise but I thought the race engines don't go in until the first race weekend.

Soldato
This FI livery mockup looks awesome imo...think most of the liveries this year are average as usual, none of the teams seem capable of hiring a decent designer.

vJqV0Dt.jpg

Man of Honour
Haas

C5hiz9z_Wc_AACHAt.jpg

Soldato
I generally like the look of the new cars, except the shark fin, and worse, the t-wing make them look rubbish. The Mercedes with it's tiny little launch wing looks great in comparison, but it will likely be spoiled with the shark fin/t-wing nonsense at the back. I don't understand how they can change the rules with an express idea of making the cars look better, but they allow loopholes leading to such ugly wings. Formula one cars should look cool and fast, the sort of thing a kid wants to put on his wall, not look like something mashed together out of several mis-matched airfix kits.

Transmission breaker
Don
It's not a loophole. The shark fins have just become a whole lot more relevant due to the lower rear wings.
How would you propose banning them anyway? Unless you specify a standard engine cover profile (not going to happen) or perhaps some very specific legislation about low profile trailing edges in specific areas?

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not a loophole. The shark fins have just become a whole lot more relevant due to the lower rear wings.
How would you propose banning them anyway? Unless you specify a standard engine cover profile (not going to happen) or perhaps some very specific legislation about low profile trailing edges in specific areas?

Same way they banned all those little wings all over the sidepods a few years back because the cars were looking ridiculous and ugly. Sure there's a space in the rules where these new sharkfin/t-wings will go, but that's only because when they got together and made the rules to make the cars look better, they deliberately didn't put restrictions in that space, because teams thought they would get advantage with these ugly wings.

Engineers really don't care what the cars look like as long as they go faster, but for the fans looking on, it takes beautiful cars and makes them ugly.

Soldato
I think they banned the sidepod wings over issues to do with safety, the shark fin probably isn't seen as the same...

"X-wings banned for safety reasons
[2-May-1998-20h05 CET] - The FIA has officially banned the sidepod mounted X-wings ("pingouins"), which have sprouted on most cars this season, for safety reasons.
Quoting the case of Jean Alesi (Sauber), who lost one of his X-wings during a pit-stop during the Argentinian Grand Prix, as evidence, the FIA said that these wings were not only dangerous during pit-stops but also had potential to cause injury to the driver or spectators if they were ripped off during a crash. "

Soldato
The new Honda engine sounds better this year. On Mcalrens Facebook page is a video of their filming day. Can't link on mobile.

Back
Top Bottom