2017 car launches

Soldato
OP
I think the livery decision was made fairly late on. The 'orange' media campaign has only been running for less than 2 weeks, and now McLaren have just unveiled their 2017 team merchandise: surprise, surprise, not a hint of orange in there. All black and rocket red - the clothing would have a much longer supply chain involved.

http://www.mclarenstore.com/stores/mclaren/en/c/teamwear

Caporegime
To me, although I haven't yet seen a decent hi-res image, it looks like there's also an intake below the main one?

Yeah, does look that way actually, however even with both intakes it looks to me much smaller than Mercs, like way way smaller, and Renault, will be interesting to see what RBR do, Renault have gone bigger but RBR usually get themselves into the whole screw everything but aero philosophy that Mclaren seem to be trapped in. Also interested to see if RBR have the classic coke bottle or more of the Merc undercut.

Soldato
McLaren looks truly awful and T-Bar wings look like a something that belong in a bin :/

Sexy 2017 cars? Yeah right.

Soldato
OP
Alonso's still his normal chirpy self, responding to a question on data sharing within the team: "If he [Hamilton] was watching more data from Rosberg last year, maybe he'd have won the championship".

Ouch!

Caporegime
It's just bants because Hamilton doesn't want data sharing. It's funny :D

He does want data sharing, headlines were stupid, he thought it was a bad idea to share specific drivers notes between driver and engineer, which frankly I agree on.

Isn't it boring when drivers with different styles drive a few practice sessions then drive much the same way because whoever is faster gets to just look at the other guys notes and copy them? The headlines went with "he doesn't want data sharing".

Anyway, I haven't spotted it, but are there any pictures of the the supposed bigger shark fin Merc were going to test in the afternoon? It's Silverstone, surely someone hung around outside and took pictures from somewhere?

Transmission breaker
Don
Shark fins became obsolete when the rear wing height was increased. Not sure they were banned? Happy to be proved wrong!
It's to do with reducing the wash from the front axle and cleaning up airflow to the rear wing when cornering.

*edit.. just Googled it. Banned in 2010. Clearly a change somewhere in the regs has allowed it back in.

**double edit.. banned if they are connected to the rear wing only I think!

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Shark fins look hideous :(

As does the undercut side pods and MASSIVE floor. The bodywork should extend to the edge of the floor... how long before we see a peel P50 sitting on a sheet of carbon fibre

Transmission breaker
Don
I never understand why people get so hung up on how they look. Sure a nice looking car is great, but great racing is more important.

I would take uglier cars if the racing was closer down the field!

Back
Top Bottom