2018 FIFA International Friendlies ** Spoilers ** [23rd - 29th March 2018]

Associate
Italy have struggled to deal with the pace that England's front line have. This is why I always prefer Vardy to Kane in Internationals. He just has that extra burst of speed to hit you on the break.

I like the formation, I like Kyle Walker as RCB, we look like we are quick enough to recover when we lose possession. Jesse Lingard has been the stand out player over both games in my opinion, he is pushing to keep Dele Alli out of the side and it looks like he has every right to be ahead of him.

Associate
I think it's mainly because England are so painfully obvious in what they are going to try to do. Always try to play through the opponent, only ever score after painfully going up, down, sideways, up, down for 10 minutes beforehand.

Other teams manage to score against England by passing to a couple of guys up front who proceed to run into space and score.

England are just so laboured. So predictable. They never score "inventive" goals, or unexpected goals. Or even quick break-away goals.

Laboured is the right word. They can only score when they literally pack the opposition half with 6-7 players. Cross it in from wide normally. Or just pass it around in front of goal until the defence makes a mistake.

But against good teams England will lose possession when they try to pass it around, and as said, good teams can score with just a couple players in England's half.

e: I think it could be that England players are genuinely afraid of being alone near the opposition goal. So either they need all their mates around them for support before they'll risk it, or (like Sterling) they run as quickly as possible with their eyes closed, in the hope that if they can't see it it can't see them. Could be something in that, you know.
Obviously this is from the previous game but the comment about players knocking it around is absolutely down to the manager. He demands a certain style of play and if you deviate from that then you will not get selected again. If you decide to break from the set way and go for a dribble on your own then you have to score or create a goal because if it all goes wrong you will not be selected again.

Caporegime
Another fairly solid performance from England, without setting the world on fire. At least we seem solid at the back, forgetting the first 5 minutes (Stones).

Bit more attacking at least, some nice one touch stuff. Will be interesting to see who he goes with for the WC.

Soldato
Lol VAR :p

In a freeze frame he stood on his foot but in real time he had zero control over the ball, well those calling for video refs have got what they wanted and my god it's a shambles.

Soldato
Is VAR authorised for the World Cup? Bloody hell it's gonna cause literal riots. As mentioned above can you imagine something like that going against England in an England v Germany 5th round in the 87th min.

Don
Lol VAR :p

In a freeze frame he stood on his foot but in real time he had zero control over the ball, well those calling for video refs have got what they wanted and my god it's a shambles.
Tbf, whether he had control of the ball or not makes no difference. There's countless small fouls by defenders that never get picked up but VAR is going to mean strikers will make a meal out of absolutely everything now, knowing that it will be reviewed

Caporegime
Is VAR authorised for the World Cup? Bloody hell it's gonna cause literal riots. As mentioned above can you imagine something like that going against England in an England v Germany 5th round in the 87th min.

Me and my brother just said the same thing, the controversy is going to cause all sorts of trouble. Stadiums will be getting smashed up you can see it now.

Don
Me and my brother just said the same thing, the controversy is going to cause all sorts of trouble. Stadiums will be getting smashed up you can see it now.
Judging by the behaviour of our fans the other night and the greeting waiting for them in Russia, I don't think VAR is going to make much of a difference on the rioting front.

Back
Top Bottom