2018 FIFA International Friendlies ** Spoilers ** [23rd - 29th March 2018]

Soldato
Tbf, whether he had control of the ball or not makes no difference. There's countless small fouls by defenders that never get picked up but VAR is going to mean strikers will make a meal out of absolutely everything now, knowing that it will be reviewed

Well exactly, rather than making things simpler you're going to have strikers launching themselves all over the place e hoping that a still frame will show some minor, out of context, contact to get a pen.

The fundamental problem is using VAR to decide fouls isn't a black and white system, it's still Grey's and the refs opinion which will lead to a load of controversy. We can get controversy without a var review thank you! :p

Soldato
People were moaning decisions were incorrect and demanded VAR...VAR comes in and decisions are correct and people are moaning. That was a penalty last night....not sure what the issue is.

Associate
VAR wasn't being used in the Holland game I didn't think.
I don't know myself but my point was that the penalty appeal was a lot more legitimate. Whether VAR is used or not is still at the discretion of the referee and they appear to be just as fallible as they always have been.

It's going to be incredibly frustrating to see referees get decisions wrong and then go to VAR and they get that wrong too. This implementation of VAR is dreadful BTW.

Caporegime
People were moaning decisions were incorrect and demanded VAR...VAR comes in and decisions are correct and people are moaning. That was a penalty last night....not sure what the issue is.

People are moaning because it wasn't a penalty, that's what the issue is.

I'm also moaning about it because of the whole 'clear and obvious' element to VAR, how can that be a clear and obvious mistake if people can't make their minds up whether it was a penalty or not? You've got Ian Wright in the studio changing his tune after hearing Southgate's reasons that it shouldn't have been.

I'm all for video evidence being used, but not it's current implementation.

Last edited:
Soldato
I never wanted VAR part of the fun of football is arguing and debating, but if you are going to have it it's pointless bringing it in for "grey" decisions. Absolutely have it for black and white stuff but the system making a decision that is arguably still wrong? What's the point you just sit there for 5 minutes bored to then still get a **** decision.

Don
VAR for matter of fact decisions, providing it can be used within a few seconds if not instantly is fine. Using it for subjective decisions is going cause so much controversy - yesterday the VAR official decided the penalty incident was a clear mistake and it was overturned, next week a similar incident won't be overturned because the VAR official will say it wasn't an obvious mistake. We're going to have incidents like the Willian penalty incident in an early FA Cup game where he was booked for diving, VAR showed that he clearly hadn't dived and was fouled but as it wasn't deemed an obvious mistake it wasn't overturned - imagine had he later picked up a 2nd booking or that been a key decision in the game.

Soldato
VAR for matter of fact decisions, providing it can be used within a few seconds if not instantly is fine. Using it for subjective decisions is going cause so much controversy - yesterday the VAR official decided the penalty incident was a clear mistake and it was overturned, next week a similar incident won't be overturned because the VAR official will say it wasn't an obvious mistake. We're going to have incidents like the Willian penalty incident in an early FA Cup game where he was booked for diving, VAR showed that he clearly hadn't dived and was fouled but as it wasn't deemed an obvious mistake it wasn't overturned - imagine had he later picked up a 2nd booking or that been a key decision in the game.

Amen, you can't use it for "Grey" areas as you will end up with decisions that are still wrong and cause mayhem or, alternatively, Every. Single. Decision and moment is scrutinised and football matches end up lasting as long as an NFL game

Soldato
I'm still convinced they're deliberately making a complete hash of VAR because neither the governing bodies or the refs actually want it. Make it seem 100 times worse than it needs to be and eventually even the pro VAR people will give up on the idea as a failure.

Soldato
People are moaning because it wasn't a penalty, that's what the issue is.

I'm also moaning about it because of the whole 'clear and obvious' element to VAR, how can that be a clear and obvious mistake if people can't make their minds up whether it was a penalty or not? You've got Ian Wright in the studio changing his tune after hearing Southgate's reasons that it shouldn't have been.

I'm all for video evidence being used, but not it's current implementation.

Meh for me it was a clear penalty. I more then most have reasons to feel annoyed as i had money on England winning lol.

He impedes him so penalty imo.

Caporegime
Meh for me it was a clear penalty. I more then most have reasons to feel annoyed as i had money on England winning lol.

He impedes him so penalty imo.

From where i'm sitting he's just running, no attempt at a tackle and the player is already on his way down, not a penalty for me.

I also had money on, schoolboy error on our part betting on England.

Back
Top Bottom