2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers and International Friendlies ** Spoilers ** [22nd - 28th March 2017]

Soldato
Whats more depressing than the england team of recent years is the fans to be honest. Its like its cool to complain about them rather than support them. We beat a small team and we should, we get beaten by a better team and its because we are crap. We beat a better team and we are lucky or they weren't performing. Its just sad.

I hear what you're saying but I think the problem is a little more than just complaining about a dodgy performance here and there.

The main problem is that, come tournament time, the players just don't turn up. We've seen it in the last two tournaments - England walk qualification and look very good, which builds fan confidence to the point where we think England might actually do quite well and then for some totally unknown reason the very same players/team that performed admirably during qualification suddenly can't string 3 passes and look like they have never played together, and it's been like that for as long as I can remember (with the exception of Euro 96) and nobody can put their finger on why it happens.

Tbh, I think the fans feel cheated, I know I do. The last Euro's was the final straw for a lot of people I think (Iceland... say no more). There's something going on that stops England playing well in tournaments and nobody knows why. The media are quick to blame the manager but I think the manager, whoever it may be, is as frustrated about it as the fans are.

Soldato
It's pretty simple, the qualifiers are in the majority against sub top 20 teams. The qualifiers are a bad yard stick of skill. We play friendlies against big nations who put out the youth squad ans still beat us. We hit decent teams in tournements and it shows us up.

I don't know how much foreign nationals practice, but I would suggest that more training as a squad would help. Play against championship sides periodically. The FA should make it happen and fine any team that drops English players because of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think it's as simple as that. If England played well and lost it would be fair enough for the majority of supporters, I imagine. Your team may lack ability compared to the opponent, but they're still playing to the best of their ability and in fact might have actually played quite well, despite what the score line says. When England get to the tournaments they look like a bunch of strangers, the 'team' has suddenly vanished.

Soldato
But surely you appreciate it's very easy to play well (or look as such) to very easy opposition. I look brilliant playing squash against my friends but I would look pathetic should I play a pro. I am saying we are not talented enough to hold our own in a top 20 competition.
You should notice it a little when we only beat latvia or estonia 1-0 (a good example is scraping a win against Slovenia 3-2) and the likes or Germany and Italy are destroying then 4 or 5.
We still are better than those types and always win the qualifiers, but we are bottom class in the higher echelons.

Soldato
I think the players are talented enough to hold their own against the top sides, and they have actually shown it on occasion in the last 20+ years or so.

For me, it's not always about the result and it's not always about the quality of the players, it's about how well they perform as a team (sum of the parts).

If they do miraculously manage to turn up to a tournament, they may well surprise a few people (but obviously nobody is holding their breath here :p).

Caporegime
Whelan is a **** house, proper horrible, niggly dirty knob. He's not even any good.

That's a red card all day long, on his own club team mate no less. Allen won't be happy.

Caporegime
Coleman saying Taylor isn't that kind of player, well he clearly is! Tried to kick another player's head off this year.

i9YvuCX.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Tonight's performance will prove my point on of qualifications being a false reading of England skill. We'll beat Lithuania a standard 2 or 3 nil and praises will be sung. I think my local doc Martin's league team could hold their own against them. If we don't beat the second worst team in Europe 8 nil. We are ****

Soldato
Tonight's performance will prove my point on of qualifications being a false reading of England skill. We'll beat Lithuania a standard 2 or 3 nil and praises will be sung. I think my local doc Martin's league team could hold their own against them. If we don't beat the second worst team in Europe 8 nil. We are ****

Exactly, we'll walk the qualifiers by doing 'just enough' as always then the press will look at the qualifying table and say we came 1st in our group and Brazil, Argies et all only came second so we should walk this World Cup, queue getting knocked out early and the press starting a witch hunt against the players.

Rinse and repeat for every tournement in my memory (since 1982 in Spain), only 2 we looked anything like were Italy 1990 and England 1996 but as we can't take penalties we failed to get to the finals.

Back
Top Bottom