2019 car launches

Soldato
OP
Today was one of the best test days that I've attended. Great weather certainly helped, but everybody ran, apart from Williams, and achieved a good number of laps. Organisation at the circuit was very poor this year. All entrances were closed off, bar one, and at that one the four cashiers tasked with selling tickets were also given the responsibility to capture email addresses from the purchasers, many of whom were non-Spanish speaking. Only one food outlet on the circuit this year, which sounds like it isn't important until you factor in that you cannot take in any drinks with you and the circuit is huge...

Anyway, I normally think that I've got a reasonable eye for the cars in pre-season. I had nothing today. Red Bull and Mercedes were pretty obviously running fairly high fuel and pumping in endurance laps while Ferrari were chasing the lap times but still doing decent stints. The 2019 Ferrari is beautiful - the matt red in sunlight is stunning and really does elevate a very tired old design. Speaking of which, the Red Bull looks very dated now.

Hamilton was a little more ragged than Bottas, but both were driving well within themselves. Verstappen hardly missed an apex all day, and the Red Bull never looked uncomfortable. Vettel pushed much harder, as did Kimi for a couple of stints, but didn't look unstable either. The McLaren just looked slow to me, but I think that I just see a slow car every time I see the McLaren now. I think Mercedes have a party trick down the pit lane on the limiter - a max engine noise node - very much louder than everyone else.

After a ropey start in the Toro Rosso, the Honda engines were much better in the afternoon. Haas didn't run too much and have a very odd whistle at speed.

Not much time for editing, but some photos:

vOFlFuX.jpg

zCfr14g.jpg

01yEgw1.jpg

b43Go9g.jpg

lcJwvGf.jpg

T7foCtV.jpg

Aur05Gb.jpg

6griFKL.jpg

n265BRt.jpg

oTaofGl.jpg

BWEPZql.jpg

1nyV1O7.jpg

9hmGfjc.jpg

aAESVy4.jpg

Associate
Some great shots, good skills. My thoughts on the cars/liveries:

Liveries:

Ferrari - It may just be the light in that shot, but looks a very orangey red, very not Ferrari for me (bring back the scarlet of the early nineties..)
HAAS - Disappointed that the gold does not show up more boldly in the daylight
McLaren - Actually looks better than I expected
Mercedes - My stand-out favourite. Love the livery, probably their best since they bought Brawn, and even the two-tone black/silver finish on the Halo makes it look smaller/thinner than it is.
Red Bull - Agreed, the 'classic' livery is tired now and needs a refresh. The Torro Rosso one still looks good though
Renault - Too much black, I wish they'd go back to the early 80s white/yellow/black
Racing (Point) - Nope, as I thought, a mess of a livery

Cars:

Anyone else a bit disappointed at all the carbon fibre mass of fins, shapes and protrusions around the bargeboard area? Yes, the attention to detail in shaping them is impressive and a marvel to look at in their own right, but they look so cluttered on the cars and almost make them look like they're carrying around the vehicular equivalent of a neckbeard. The Sauber Alfa-Romeo in particular....

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I get what you are saying about the longer cars too. Do you think that mitigates no traction control to an extent? Or at least makes it easier for the drivers to not spin out like they would with a shorter wheelbase? Or am I talking balls?! :D

It certainly makes it a bit easier and quicker to recover once a slide has started. So fewer cars end up investigating the local scenery!

Man of Honour
Always good to read your track side thoughts @The_Abyss and good photos too! Racing Point livery seems to look better on track.

Might be able to get a better idea of the cars at Turn 9, I found that was one of my favourite points in the track to see how committed the drivers could be. Although I'm sure you know that already :p

Soldato
I dunno, going by info on Wikipedia/google. The W08's wheelbase is 3726mm, the MP4-22 is only 3120mm. Width is 2000mm vs 1800mm too. So the image looks to stack up to the specs of the cars and the maximum width of the cars allowed at different times. It's a striking difference though, I hadn't realised just how much the size had varied!

Soldato
OP
Might be able to get a better idea of the cars at Turn 9, I found that was one of my favourite points in the track to see how committed the drivers could be. Although I'm sure you know that already :p

Just to catch up on this, I do indeed know Turn 9 very well :)

Unfortunately, these cars have now moved things on. Pretty much all of them went around it flat at one point or another, and when they don't you get the feeling they're running a heavy fuel load. It is surprisingly sharp though, and the speed does scrub off which can give the impression of the driver lifting.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

1z38pcl.jpg

2dhs0eg.jpg

2qs8c93.jpg

210eide.jpg

Posted this before.... it’s shocking how much the cars have ballooned.

Caporegime
The Mercedes is a beautiful looking car, love the design of it. Can't wait to see the actual color of the Ferrari's too, that pic is way too orange, almost like a McLaren lol.

Back
Top Bottom