2019 Chilli Growing thread

Soldato
My Aji Verde plants are only now flowering. I think they had a slow start as they're quite leggy and very tall.. Doubt I'll get anything from these.

Can you speed up the ripening stage of chillis like you can with tomatoes by cutting all the leaves off?

Thanks

Associate
Finished the work for the garden this year and Greenhouse and Shed finally installed once we got a break in the fine weather we've had this summer/autumn.

Didnt have a great success with high yield this year due to lack of attention to plants and the best area of garden for natural light been under construction for most of the summer months.

Any tips for overwintering our Chillies in the greenhouse? already noticed the plants pick up quite a bit since been moved inside. Will have to get some pics uploaded of our new growing patch

Soldato
No heater for me, my polly tunnel is set up on my south facing patio thou, that helps, and quite sunny today here in south west wiltshire, i will end season early november, unless temps get drastically low.

Associate
Some photos taken last week after Greenhouse went up
x74JS57.jpg
UNCFQAZ.jpg
c9WYfTw.jpg
greenhouse is now full of what we still had growing in pots and installed some old staging we had been given from family. Hopefully have better results next year with everything we grow as this section of our garden gets gd sun from early morning right through to hour before sunset.

Got 2 1m wide raised planters running full length of this back part of our garden just out of shot in these photos along with those two square raised planters and the L shaped one. All just been topped with rotted muck for a boost of nutrients to the soil.

Soldato
Due to a very hectic year, I didn't give this years plants the attention they need. I didn't get a chance to clean and prep the greenhouse like I usually do, I was late potting the plants on and ended up chucking the Apaches I grew from seed into large Crystalyx containers (4 plants per tub) and sticking them in the lean-to along with the Reaper, overwintered Paper Lantern Habaneros and a couple of others.

Despite the shambles, the yield wasn't too bad and I've given bags of Apaches away.

The Apaches did turn out quite varied, as I thought they would. They're ok but growing seeds from an F1 variety isn't the best idea. Still, mustn't grumble.

2019latechillies.jpg

Associate
nice greenhouse how much did it cost?
it looks bigger than the house :p
It was noticeably cheaper without the powder coating optional extra, but yes it wasn't cheap. its one of the stronger frames you can get due to the ridiculous high winds we get through to our garden due to open fields at the front of the house and the house been south west/north east

The whole project to rework that area of the garden was a thank you gift to my misses for being a complete hero last year while i was in and out of hospital. Previously just a mud patch with a small plastic greenhouse my misses was using to grow fruit/veg. The ground was mostly builders rubble under the soil/clay which we had cleared the top layer over the past couple of years since moving in but was still horrendous to try and grow anything in. The plastic greenhouse just about survived a year before getting replaced as the wind rip'd it to shreds.

About to go away for long weekend, but will have to see if i can get some before and after photos and post in the show us your garden thread when i get back next week

Caporegime
They look lovely.

My heater's working a charm, not dropped below 15 at night all week but I lit all four burners and it drank 4 litres of paraffin in 3 days. Only lit two now so should last all week.

I've also upped the amount of tealights in my tealight heater to 8 and that's made a huge difference, the bigger plant pot is now too hot to touch so that helps to keep the temperature up.

I didn't pick any this weekend but all of my plants have multiple peppers ready to pick so I should have a decent haul this weekend :cool:

Back
Top Bottom