2019 NFL Season Thread

Soldato
Thought it worth starting a new thread now that we are in training camps and not all that far away from the new season.

Any early favourites? Any hot takes to get us going?

For me being a Newcastle fan and suffering for the past 30 years I've decided after 25 years of **** as a Bengals fan I've had enough after Browns same old **** update to the fans saying everyone needs to get on board etc etc. Once over is painful enough in life without supporting another team that will never, ever do anything.

I've spent days thinking about it and I'm now down to my last 8 choices; Cowboys, Chiefs, Saints, Rams, Browns, Colts, 49ers and Bears. Trying to logically pick one :p

Soldato
Thought it worth starting a new thread now that we are in training camps and not all that far away from the new season.

Any early favourites? Any hot takes to get us going?

For me being a Newcastle fan and suffering for the past 30 years I've decided after 25 years of **** as a Bengals fan I've had enough after Browns same old **** update to the fans saying everyone needs to get on board etc etc. Once over is painful enough in life without supporting another team that will never, ever do anything.

I've spent days thinking about it and I'm now down to my last 8 choices; Cowboys, Chiefs, Saints, Rams, Browns, Colts, 49ers and Bears. Trying to logically pick one :p

try this
Which NFL Team Should You Root For Next Season? - BuzzFeed

edit: I got the raiders

Soldato
OP
lol browns with the Baker Mayfield and Odell Beckham combination look exciting

Thing is I'm trying to base my choice more on just who has the best QB for the long term. I don't really like the Browns Jersey and more importantly their organisation tends to be a complete shambles so i wouldn't be hugely shocked to see they just lucked out with Mayfield and then they tear themselves apart over the next few years and Mayfield jumps at the end of the rookie deal :p Plus despite having finally had enough of the Bengals going to the Browns, a divisional rival, just feels dirty.

Colts are interesting (Jersey is boring) but they are a very boring organisation in that they won't reach through FA and will slowly, deliberately build up teams through drafts which is a little tedious and means they will rarely be real contenders, more outside bets. If they had pushed hard in FA on the WR position they would be among the favourites for a superbowl this year but they never do and I just don't see their offense being able to ever get them over the line despite Luck's undoubted brilliance.

Saints are a good organisation, great roster all over the field but I really see them as a win now team (like Pat's, Packers, Steelers, Chargers et al with the brilliant but ageing QB's) and probably due a long stretch in the doldrums despite Kamara.

Chiefs are interesting, have Mahomes who will be a generational talent but have a weak D, questions at RB and being honest I'm not a fan of their policy of employing the league's bellends thinking that it's worth the risk. I feel they are more about winning than any decency which isn't morally right but also leaves them vulnerable to potential meltdown if players act up. Plus I don't like their jersey either.

Cowboys are interesting, I have played with them for a while but I can't make up my mind. If it wasn't for Jones who is a monumental ******* and is insistent on trying to run team operations and making boneheaded decisions I would probably be all in on them but I don't trust him not to keep pulling the rug out from under himself. Despite that they are a young roster, amazing D, amazing RB, amazing Oline, good reciever core and a fairly solid (if uninspiring) QB who does a job. Fee weaknesses but their biggest worry right now must be the Zeek situation that is developing, pay the man!! I would probably have the Cowboys alongside the Falcons (yes, you read that right) as the most talent laden teams in the NFL going into next season.

So yeah, can't decide at all. :p

Soldato
Thing is I'm trying to base my choice more on just who has the best QB for the long term. I don't really like the Browns Jersey and more importantly their organisation tends to be a complete shambles so i wouldn't be hugely shocked to see they just lucked out with Mayfield and then they tear themselves apart over the next few years and Mayfield jumps at the end of the rookie deal :p Plus despite having finally had enough of the Bengals going to the Browns, a divisional rival, just feels dirty.

Colts are interesting (Jersey is boring) but they are a very boring organisation in that they won't reach through FA and will slowly, deliberately build up teams through drafts which is a little tedious and means they will rarely be real contenders, more outside bets. If they had pushed hard in FA on the WR position they would be among the favourites for a superbowl this year but they never do and I just don't see their offense being able to ever get them over the line despite Luck's undoubted brilliance.

Saints are a good organisation, great roster all over the field but I really see them as a win now team (like Pat's, Packers, Steelers, Chargers et al with the brilliant but ageing QB's) and probably due a long stretch in the doldrums despite Kamara.

Chiefs are interesting, have Mahomes who will be a generational talent but have a weak D, questions at RB and being honest I'm not a fan of their policy of employing the league's bellends thinking that it's worth the risk. I feel they are more about winning than any decency which isn't morally right but also leaves them vulnerable to potential meltdown if players act up. Plus I don't like their jersey either.

Cowboys are interesting, I have played with them for a while but I can't make up my mind. If it wasn't for Jones who is a monumental ******* and is insistent on trying to run team operations and making boneheaded decisions I would probably be all in on them but I don't trust him not to keep pulling the rug out from under himself. Despite that they are a young roster, amazing D, amazing RB, amazing Oline, good reciever core and a fairly solid (if uninspiring) QB who does a job. Fee weaknesses but their biggest worry right now must be the Zeek situation that is developing, pay the man!! I would probably have the Cowboys alongside the Falcons (yes, you read that right) as the most talent laden teams in the NFL going into next season.

So yeah, can't decide at all. :p

out of the four, I'd go with the Saints or the Chiefs

saints were robbed last season, it will be their revenge tour, etc... should be fun to watch at least

Chiefs offense should improve with the QB gaining more experience and their defense has been focused on more in training camp as a focal point

Soldato
I did a random team selection process to decide who I'd follow - answered some non-NFL related questions, and it picked the Bengals for me.

I don't think I could bring myself to select a team based on their performance; as a Bristol City fan, I'm also familiar with failure with accents of success, so perhaps the Bengals' history is an all-too-familiar comfort blanket of misery, I'm not sure. I won't change though. I think I'm more likely to admire teams in the same way as I admire Barcelona, but wouldn't necessarily support them, buy the t-shirts etc.

I've sort of accepted that the Bengals are going to be the new Browns for a while, but I'll still enjoy the new season because of my admiration for teams like the Chiefs, the Saints, the Cowboys and so on. I also like our strip the least of anyone in the league. Sod's law :p

All or Nothing this year has been good thus far. I'm 4 episodes in, and the Panthers have some fantastic personalities. The process of getting under the skin of the team and the players always makes me end up subconsciously rooting for the players and coaches in subsequent seasons anyway. I'm going to throw a prediction in for next season's All or Nothing to be the Browns, just purely due to the amount of 'personalities' that they've brought in this year.

... and being honest I'm not a fan of their policy of employing the league's bellends thinking that it's worth the risk. I feel they are more about winning than any decency which isn't morally right but also leaves them vulnerable to potential meltdown if players act up.

I'd attribute that less to the Chiefs for having the balls to sack off an all star RB in Kareem Hunt, and more to the Browns for bringing in a flock of super-charged bellends! :D

Soldato
OP
@Karl I've tolerated 25 years of the Bengals and I don't think they've won a single play off game the entire time. Trust me it won't get better, Brown is quite happy to pick up his money from the fans and continue to put our a sub standard product as he makes money off it. I've tried sticking it out but he put out the same mealy mouthed statement this year that he does every 4-5 years but nothing will ever change. I don't mind my team losing but they have no desire to improve, they just exist.

The reason the Browns are doing what they are is Dorsey, I'm assuming he thinks the risk is worth the reward as he was the one who led the recruitment drive at the Chiefs now he is at the Browns and is still following that pattern.

I'm down to my final two choices of either Cowboys or Chiefs. Dropped the Colts as they are just a little too boring (even though I could see them winning the Superbowl this year) Saints I think are on the cusp of being long term outsiders and the Browns as it just feels wrong.

Soldato
Fair enough mate.

My thoughts are:
- Chiefs: Like Arsenal were at one point - Fantastic offensive, very entertaining to watch, lead to some great score lines. Great for the neutral observer to watch, but as you say, may suffer defensively. I reckon they'll go from strength to strength this year though. Definite playoff action at the least.
- Cowboys: Chronic underachievers that are due success in the next couple of years as Dak Prescott goes from strength to strength, no idea what's going on with Zeek at the moment though. The team seems to be less than the sum of its parts, which should ultimately fall on Jason Garrett really... Also, IMO, Jerry's a pretty annoying owner to have, judging by previous years of All or Nothing.

I'd opt for Chiefs if it were me. :)

Associate
I have no idea how they are expected to do, but I keep on with my Lions. Made the simple thing to support all the Detroit teams after being a huuuge Red Wings fan in the ice hockey. Makes it easier :D

Soldato
OP
I have no idea how they are expected to do, but I keep on with my Lions. Made the simple thing to support all the Detroit teams after being a huuuge Red Wings fan in the ice hockey. Makes it easier :D

Lions still suck, though their D could be interesting this year but I don't see them having enough juice on the offence. Sorry to you as a Lion's Dan but I was Stafford would leave as he's a great QB but suffered being at the Lions, he could lead a team to a superbowl with the right talent.

I've decided to completely change my mind and I'm going Colts, flipped on myself but I'm doing it. Go Colts!! (Feels weird :p)

I'm even backing this with a bold prediction... *Cue dramatic music*... We hit October, as trade deadline approaches, the Colts are surging toward a playoff run at a comfortable 6-2 record but are having some issues with a top level target for Luck to hit on a regular basis. On the flip side the Bengals are 1-7, Dalton out for the season after his Oline fails him repeatedly with him getting hit 15+ times a game every week, the Bengals are playing hardball with Green over a contract... So he demands a trade, he's had enough of an organisation that won't give his talent the stage it needs and he goes to the Colts at the end of the deadline for a 2020 3rd and a 2021 4th rounder.... *Thunder booms*....

I believe my favourite Bengal will join my new team by trade deadline at the end of October. BELIEVE!! :p:D

Last edited:
Soldato
It's interesting, I'll be keen to see how the whole 'supporting another team' goes for you. As a Skins fan of about 31 years now, I don't think I could support another team. I do have a soft spot for the Colts myself, with Andrew Luck being my fantasy keeper team QB, but there is no way I could switch over and want them to beat the Skins in a game where the winner went into the playoffs for example.

Soldato
OP
It's interesting, I'll be keen to see how the whole 'supporting another team' goes for you. As a Skins fan of about 31 years now, I don't think I could support another team. I do have a soft spot for the Colts myself, with Andrew Luck being my fantasy keeper team QB, but there is no way I could switch over and want them to beat the Skins in a game where the winner went into the playoffs for example.

Been a tough choice but being a Newcastle fan as well, which I could never change as it's a life thing and almost a family thing, I opted for the Bengals for no reason other than I like the jersey back in the day and the fact the team don't care about winning was why I decided to eventually chuck in the towel.

Saying that I've picked the Colts and Luck is struggling with an injury, maybe I'm the curse :p

Associate

Here's the thing. I live in the Dallas area, I'm a life long Cowboys fan. The stadium is exactly 1.5 miles from my condo. Walking distance. Jerry is an idiot!

Now, over the last several years he has ceded control to Steven, his eldest. He's much better. Don't forget that unlike many NFL owners Jerry has always wanted to win! He sucks at being a GM, but he's about the best owner in the NFL.

It's weird to be sure. I won't pretend to like him, but I do respect his desire to win. Even if he has no clue how to do so.

If you consider the Cowboys, then take all that into account along with their history. BTW, they are the most valuable sports franchise in the world. That should count for something... not much, but something.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Soldato
Here's the thing. I live in the Dallas area, I'm a life long Cowboys fan. The stadium is exactly 1.5 miles from my condo. Walking distance. Jerry is an idiot!

Now, over the last several years he has ceded control to Steven, his eldest. He's much better. Don't forget that unlike many NFL owners Jerry has always wanted to win! He sucks at being a GM, but he's about the best owner in the NFL.

It's weird to be sure. I won't pretend to like him, but I do respect his desire to win. Even if he has no clue how to do so.

If you consider the Cowboys, then take all that into account along with their history. BTW, they are the most valuable sports franchise in the world. That should count for something... not much, but something.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

After watching their series of All Or Nothing, I was absolutely blown away by their training facility and stadium. The money that's gone in to that is absolutely insane.

Back
Top Bottom