2019 NFL Season Thread

Associate
Absolutely.

The other thing is that we never know is what's going on behind the scenes. It feels like there may be other non-footballing reasons contributing to the new GM and HC going with 'their' pick (in addition to having more depth, options, a cheaper QB). Again no one knows for sure but I think Rodgers is a strong character to manage.

Soldato
I'm not close enough to college, or the draft in general tbh, someone please give me a breakdown of how the Skins did :)

We knew they would be taking Chase Young, which by all accounts was a no brainer as he's basically the best football player in the draft this year. That'll make our D line pretty interesting this coming year.

The highlight footage of Antonio Gibson makes him look an interesting prospect, capable of doing lots of different things for the O.

All I know of Antonio Gandy-Golden is he can solve a rubics cube in a minute... although reports are he was decent value in the 4th.

I see what got a couple of O line too, which is probably a wise move.

Associate
I didn't pay huge attention to it beyond what the Bears were doing but I did bump into this nice draft grades summary from the major US Sports websites on r/chibears a few days agos (I think the poster grabbed it from r/nfl or similar). Based on that the Redskins ratings seem quite favourable. Although I do think these rankings naturally favour the teams with lots of picks (like the Vikes).

iN8Eawml.jpg.png

Soldato
from that chart i agree with anyone that gave the Rams a "C/C-"

We knew they would be taking Chase Young, which by all accounts was a no brainer as he's basically the best football player in the draft this year. That'll make our D line pretty interesting this coming year.

that makes more sense to me than going for "need", when we got goff there were better players available.

Last edited:
Associate
I think it makes a lot of sense to have a top backup. There may be personal reasons but sounds like it was probably the best of the offers.

Had he become available in any other off-season he'd had a better chance at a starter job. Also the Bengals held on to him as trade bait which possible mucked up a starting role (i.e. the Bears and Bengal reportedly discussed a deal).

Soldato
not sure what to make of this, you're playing in the nfl and pull this :

Florida police are searching for two NFL players after they allegedly robbed people at a house party.

Deandre Baker of the New York Giants and Quinton Dunbar of the Seattle Seahawks are said to have robbed other guests at gunpoint.

About $12,000 (£9,850) in cash and watches worth up to $25,000 were taken.

Associate
NFL scraps all four London 2020 fixtures set for Wembley and Tottenham

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/52535701

Sad times, the rumours were strong but this confirms it however it's fully understandable. Have been going the last few years and did have plans to also go see a game over in America but no way is that happening.
Haven't been to a game for a few years. Went to the first 3 years of games. I made a deal with a mate that we would try and do 1 at Wembley and 1 at Spurs this year. Ah well.

Associate
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/agent-zeke-tested-positive-for-covid-19

Agent: Zeke Tested Positive For COVID-19

Headline is a bit misleading as there were several Cowboy's and Texan's that tested positive.

Beyond that, I don't think this bodes well for a full/normal 2020 season. Don't see how they can practice and play.

Will really suck if there's no football in the fall especially as we've no sports at all for some time.

Associate
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/agent-zeke-tested-positive-for-covid-19

Agent: Zeke Tested Positive For COVID-19

Headline is a bit misleading as there were several Cowboy's and Texan's that tested positive.

Beyond that, I don't think this bodes well for a full/normal 2020 season. Don't see how they can practice and play.

Will really suck if there's no football in the fall especially as we've no sports at all for some time.

Still a long time to go till the season is due to start to there is still hope. But I agree if more players test positive it will be very difficult to justify starting the season on time

Associate
Still a long time to go till the season is due to start to there is still hope. But I agree if more players test positive it will be very difficult to justify starting the season on time

I'm going to have to take issue with your assertion that there's "still a long time to go". Pre season begins on 8/13, which is less than 2 months from now. And they will have to spend several weeks preparing for those games.

They could just cancel all pre season which would push things back to the regular season start on 9/13, which is less than 3 months from now.

It's a bit of a balancing act. Cancel pre season and all practices, then show up for regular season and you run the risk of injuries due to lack of conditioning. (yes, these guys stay in great shape all year around, but there is no substitute for 'game' conditions and speed.)

I hope you're right, and time will tell, but I don't have a good feeling about it.

IMO, the biggest problem is the age group we're dealing with here. i.e. young people. It's become clear during all this that younger people just don't take it seriously and/or just don't care if they infect the elderly. Case in point: Dak Prescott, Dallas QB1. Widely regarded as being very mature for his age, serious, focused and team oriented... unlike Zeke who is the opposite. Dak threw a party, that was catered, for a very large group of people just a few weeks ago. Of course pictures leaked and it was clear there were no face masks or social distancing. Now, imagine what those less mature than Dak are doing.

Associate
Two months may not seem like a long time but when you consider that in the UK lockdown started three months ago and you look at how much has changed during that time all of a sudden two months seems like longer. I can only assume that a lot of the planning in to how the league plans to resume has already been done meaning that teams will already be aware of what they need to do in order to prepare for the new season with any restrictions in place.

There is also the option to push the season back by a week or two in order to maintain the preseason.

Soldato
OP
I've just had notification my gamepass auto renews in 30 days and I must admit with the season looking a bit sketchy on go ahead now (I don't believe the positive spin they are putting on it) I'm really tempted to cancel and just resubscribe a week before it starts.

Anyone else having similar doubts?

Also, that Mahomes contract :eek:

Back
Top Bottom