2019 NFL Season Thread

Soldato
Thought it worth starting a new thread now that we are in training camps and not all that far away from the new season.

Any early favourites? Any hot takes to get us going?

For me being a Newcastle fan and suffering for the past 30 years I've decided after 25 years of **** as a Bengals fan I've had enough after Browns same old **** update to the fans saying everyone needs to get on board etc etc. Once over is painful enough in life without supporting another team that will never, ever do anything.

I've spent days thinking about it and I'm now down to my last 8 choices; Cowboys, Chiefs, Saints, Rams, Browns, Colts, 49ers and Bears. Trying to logically pick one :p

Soldato
OP
lol browns with the Baker Mayfield and Odell Beckham combination look exciting

Thing is I'm trying to base my choice more on just who has the best QB for the long term. I don't really like the Browns Jersey and more importantly their organisation tends to be a complete shambles so i wouldn't be hugely shocked to see they just lucked out with Mayfield and then they tear themselves apart over the next few years and Mayfield jumps at the end of the rookie deal :p Plus despite having finally had enough of the Bengals going to the Browns, a divisional rival, just feels dirty.

Colts are interesting (Jersey is boring) but they are a very boring organisation in that they won't reach through FA and will slowly, deliberately build up teams through drafts which is a little tedious and means they will rarely be real contenders, more outside bets. If they had pushed hard in FA on the WR position they would be among the favourites for a superbowl this year but they never do and I just don't see their offense being able to ever get them over the line despite Luck's undoubted brilliance.

Saints are a good organisation, great roster all over the field but I really see them as a win now team (like Pat's, Packers, Steelers, Chargers et al with the brilliant but ageing QB's) and probably due a long stretch in the doldrums despite Kamara.

Chiefs are interesting, have Mahomes who will be a generational talent but have a weak D, questions at RB and being honest I'm not a fan of their policy of employing the league's bellends thinking that it's worth the risk. I feel they are more about winning than any decency which isn't morally right but also leaves them vulnerable to potential meltdown if players act up. Plus I don't like their jersey either.

Cowboys are interesting, I have played with them for a while but I can't make up my mind. If it wasn't for Jones who is a monumental ******* and is insistent on trying to run team operations and making boneheaded decisions I would probably be all in on them but I don't trust him not to keep pulling the rug out from under himself. Despite that they are a young roster, amazing D, amazing RB, amazing Oline, good reciever core and a fairly solid (if uninspiring) QB who does a job. Fee weaknesses but their biggest worry right now must be the Zeek situation that is developing, pay the man!! I would probably have the Cowboys alongside the Falcons (yes, you read that right) as the most talent laden teams in the NFL going into next season.

So yeah, can't decide at all. :p

Soldato
OP
@Karl I've tolerated 25 years of the Bengals and I don't think they've won a single play off game the entire time. Trust me it won't get better, Brown is quite happy to pick up his money from the fans and continue to put our a sub standard product as he makes money off it. I've tried sticking it out but he put out the same mealy mouthed statement this year that he does every 4-5 years but nothing will ever change. I don't mind my team losing but they have no desire to improve, they just exist.

The reason the Browns are doing what they are is Dorsey, I'm assuming he thinks the risk is worth the reward as he was the one who led the recruitment drive at the Chiefs now he is at the Browns and is still following that pattern.

I'm down to my final two choices of either Cowboys or Chiefs. Dropped the Colts as they are just a little too boring (even though I could see them winning the Superbowl this year) Saints I think are on the cusp of being long term outsiders and the Browns as it just feels wrong.

Soldato
OP
I have no idea how they are expected to do, but I keep on with my Lions. Made the simple thing to support all the Detroit teams after being a huuuge Red Wings fan in the ice hockey. Makes it easier :D

Lions still suck, though their D could be interesting this year but I don't see them having enough juice on the offence. Sorry to you as a Lion's Dan but I was Stafford would leave as he's a great QB but suffered being at the Lions, he could lead a team to a superbowl with the right talent.

I've decided to completely change my mind and I'm going Colts, flipped on myself but I'm doing it. Go Colts!! (Feels weird :p)

I'm even backing this with a bold prediction... *Cue dramatic music*... We hit October, as trade deadline approaches, the Colts are surging toward a playoff run at a comfortable 6-2 record but are having some issues with a top level target for Luck to hit on a regular basis. On the flip side the Bengals are 1-7, Dalton out for the season after his Oline fails him repeatedly with him getting hit 15+ times a game every week, the Bengals are playing hardball with Green over a contract... So he demands a trade, he's had enough of an organisation that won't give his talent the stage it needs and he goes to the Colts at the end of the deadline for a 2020 3rd and a 2021 4th rounder.... *Thunder booms*....

I believe my favourite Bengal will join my new team by trade deadline at the end of October. BELIEVE!! :p:D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's interesting, I'll be keen to see how the whole 'supporting another team' goes for you. As a Skins fan of about 31 years now, I don't think I could support another team. I do have a soft spot for the Colts myself, with Andrew Luck being my fantasy keeper team QB, but there is no way I could switch over and want them to beat the Skins in a game where the winner went into the playoffs for example.

Been a tough choice but being a Newcastle fan as well, which I could never change as it's a life thing and almost a family thing, I opted for the Bengals for no reason other than I like the jersey back in the day and the fact the team don't care about winning was why I decided to eventually chuck in the towel.

Saying that I've picked the Colts and Luck is struggling with an injury, maybe I'm the curse :p

Soldato
OP
Here's the thing. I live in the Dallas area, I'm a life long Cowboys fan. The stadium is exactly 1.5 miles from my condo. Walking distance. Jerry is an idiot!

Now, over the last several years he has ceded control to Steven, his eldest. He's much better. Don't forget that unlike many NFL owners Jerry has always wanted to win! He sucks at being a GM, but he's about the best owner in the NFL.

It's weird to be sure. I won't pretend to like him, but I do respect his desire to win. Even if he has no clue how to do so.

If you consider the Cowboys, then take all that into account along with their history. BTW, they are the most valuable sports franchise in the world. That should count for something... not much, but something.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Yeah I went against the Cowboys but their desire to win is admirable if, as you say, at times misguided and mishandled.

Do you think you'll tie down Zeke?

Soldato
OP
If history is good indicator then yes.

In the early '90s after winning the SB, Emmitt Smith held out all of training camp and the first two games of the season. The Cowboy's lost both of those games, Jerry broke out the checkbook and paid Emmitt. The Cowboy's went on to become the first team to start a season 0-2 and go on to win the SB.

The sticking point here is that Zeke wants to reset the market for RBs and Jerry won't do that. In the end I believe that Zeke will accept a contract on par with Gurley.

Yeah I don't think Lev "won" and made it so that RB's will make huge money.

Soldato
OP
Agreed. And if memory serves, he actually ended up taking less... though I could be wrong. Either way Zeke has limited leverage here. A Trade is highly unlikely given what the other team would have give up to get him, and then what they'd have to pay to keep him. The list of teams willing/able to do that is a number rapidly approaching zero. Not impossible but highly unlikely.

His options are essentially accept a "Gurley" contract or sit out for two years and make zero. Then hope that someone would pay him on par with Gurley, cause no one would be willing to reset the RB market for a guy that's been out of the league for 2 years.

In the end cooler heads will prevail, Zeke will play for the Cowboys for the next several years and all will be right with the world. :D

Who do you fancy for the Superbowl this year?

Talent wise I can see the Falcons, Cowboys and Colts making good runs alongside the perennial contenders like Eagles (great roster this year) Pat's (always there) Chiefs, Rams, Saints.

Could see the Browns and Ravens being interesting as well depending on how things land for them, really, really interested to see how the Ravens go with their odd offence. Vikings with a fixed Oline could have a chance too.

Soldato
OP
I can't imagine the Ravens offence will be successful, but then I guess we need to see how Jackson has progressed. I personally don't think Dak is good enough for the Cowboys to be real contenders, but then again Trent Dilfer has a ring, so....

Dak is about bang on par on the Dalton scale (nod for you around the NFL listeners :D) and I think his O has enough talent now for him to perform in line with that.

Ravens like you I'm not sure it will work but the sheer amount of runs will put a lot of pressure on the D and then Jackson being able to scramble or alternatively target his now good TE's on short passing routes when the D are expecting a run could upset a lot of play making. The sheer fact of the unknown will make it difficult for teams to face them, I think, yet equally it go horribly, horribly wrong and teams just plug the line and he can't take on any throws but he hasn't the talent. Not sure, hence the interesting comment.

Soldato
OP
Fantasy scoring rank probably isn't the best way to judge a QB...

If you swapped them, how would they both perform?

Hence the Dalton scale comment. Pure Dalton is a QB who plays up (or down) to the talent around him, I would put Dak bang on that, though I guess I could be persuaded he is slightly above, he would such just as bad in the Bengals as Dalton does but put him in an O with a lot of talent and I believe he will play up to it, as he does with the Cowboys and a strong line.

Soldato
OP
Apparently Brown refusing to play because he can't wear the type of helmet he wants :D this is on top of him getting frostbite from a cryo chamber on his feet :D

He does an A grade job of making himself looks complete tit with no help at all :p

Soldato
OP
I hope the NFL call his bluff. You want to resign and quit over a helmet and not earn 10 or so million a year? Ok, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Wonder what he would do then :D

Soldato
OP
that's not a bad offer, the timing of it seems a bit off as there arn't many with the salary cap to make the offer, or maybe thats the point of putting him out for an offer at this time.

Think that's why Colts are among the favoured teams to get him with about 20mill cap space or something stupid.

Leonard and Clowney coming off the edges :D:D:D

'skins have loads of cap and possibly offering Trent who wants away for him may work out but I could see Skins being happier tanking and also Clowney not wanting to go to a team who are a looooooong way from being contenders.

Back
Top Bottom