2019 Passat Estate

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
To be fair the seats in the Passat, even in the R-line, are not that good, and the infotainment in the BMW might be smaller, its still better than the VAG offering. Apart from adaptive cruise, the rest of the extra's are just gimmicks.

They are both competent mile munchers, the 3 series is a tad more interesting than the Passat, but at the end of the day if you like VAG cars, then no amount of facts will make another brand appealing.

Soldato
OP
It is still pretty pov spec versus a loaded passat. Missing adaptive cruise, digital cockpit, lane assistant, big sat nav screen etc. Still don't even get lumbar support as standard

This so good to know - the Passat has fully electric seats, memory, heated and with additional thigh support.....

Soldato
It is still pretty pov spec versus a loaded passat. Missing adaptive cruise, digital cockpit, lane assistant, big sat nav screen etc. Still don't even get lumbar support as standard
I couldn't live with the poverty spec steering wheel on VW cars - it's thin and feels cheap compared to the thicker soft leather BMW wheel.
The problem with this spec up request is you're comparing a new model Passat Estate to an old (2012) model 3 Series Estate. The new 3 Series Saloon has just been launched and the Touring version usually follows several months after. That comes standard with a larger screen Nav (over the Passat), digital cockpit etc....

Last edited:
Associate
I couldn't live with the poverty spec steering wheel on VW cars - it's thin and feels cheap compared to the thicker soft leather BMW wheel.
The problem with this spec up request is you're comparing a new model Passat Estate to an old (2012) model 3 Series Estate. The new 3 Series Saloon has just been launched and the Touring version usually follows several months after.

Is the R-Line steering wheel worse than the bottom of the rung BMW offering though? I had an 18 plate 118d courtesy car and the steering wheel was absolutely awful compared to the 14 m135i i have, i could never have lived with it long term even if i hadn't already been spoiled.

I'd hazard a guess that an R-line steering wheel would be better than the poverty bmw offering, if it's the same as the courtesy car i had that is!

Man of Honour

I'm talking about the all-new 3 Series not the currently ending production model.

Soldato
so what is the theory why they haven't put either of the still current Q3 engines in the passat ?

The entry-level 1.5-litre petrol (badged the 35 TFSI) produces 150PS and 250Nm of torque but is initially only available with a seven-speed DQ200 dry clutch S tronic automatic gearbox. This combination isn't the best - the engine feels strained and can be noisy, plus it's easy to catch the gearbox out. Having said that, it's easy enough to get used to the gearbox with time and, under normal driving, the engine is perfectly refined.

There are two version of the 2.0-litre petrol engine. The first is available with 190PS and 320Nm of torque, badged the 40 TFSI, or there's the 230PS and 350Nm, badged the 45 TFSI. Both engines comes with the DQ381/DQ500 seven-speed wet clutch S tronic transmission and quattro permanent all-wheel drive.

... there's no space for the box ?

Soldato
as much as there would be in a 5 series estate ? (are their weights so different), but,
as Tinders told us wltp maybe holding up qualification,
and, anyway, it used to have them in the R-line (that page did not tell me the exact weight)

Soldato
OP
I’m pretty sure a more powerful 175bhp+ petrol will be much more popular than an asthmatic 150bhp 1.5 - it’s a heavy car.

In fact I drove the 1.5 turbo and it was horrid. Compared to my current 150bhp diesel 2.0 version it’s slower, much slower.
Also with reference the steering wheel - I agree and if you check out the new GT and R-line steering wheel in the Passat, it’s chunky, flat bottomed and in perforated leather just like an M series or S-line Audi.

Personally I would want the new Passat estate in R-line trim in dark blue with a powerful petrol engine and auto box. I would be happy with that. It would look smart, would be relatively rare in that spec, would be very well built and loaded with kit.

Alternatively I could get a bmw or Audi with much less toys - albeit a more premium badge and perhaps (perhaps) a better engine. I would certainly pay for it though lol

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I’m pretty sure a more powerful 175bhp+ petrol will be much more popular than an asthmatic 150bhp 1.5 - it’s a heavy car.

I doubt it, Passat is mainly a fleet car, CC drivers simply won’t want to pay that much tax. Fleets won’t list it either as an option. I can’t see ordinary joe spending his hard earned on a new petrol Passat.

Soldato
Soldato
It has a better screen than the Passat as standard though, it was clear you were referring to the F31 which has a tiny screen as standard.

Fair enough. Still, a boggo G30 will have 8.8" screen as standard. Passat "fully loaded" will have 9.2" discover nav pro. I'm not saying the idrive is not better to use but the passat will have the larger screen for OPs case

Soldato
Fair enough. Still, a boggo G30 will have 8.8" screen as standard. Passat "fully loaded" will have 9.2" discover nav pro. I'm not saying the idrive is not better to use but the passat will have the larger screen for OPs case
Standard 3 Series (M-Sport) now have a Live Cockpit 12.3" instrument display and 10.25" high-resolution Control Display. So an extra inch over the Passat screen :)

Associate
But does anyone know why the petrol engine is restricted to just one type?..

I had a 2016 Passat with the 2.0 150 diesel and now a Skoda Superb with the 1.5 150 petrol (both DSG) and can't say I notice much difference on the speed front. Both fast enough for round town or sitting on the motorway etc.

The VAG 1.5 engine is pretty jerky at low speeds though when the engine is cold (this appears to have a bigger impact on the manual). According to VAG there is a fix coming in Q2...

Last time I checked the Passat was on a 5 month lead time which is why I didn't get another.

Soldato
I have an Ateca with the 1.5tsi DSG and its a good little engine, a little jerky when cold which a fix is coming for. Managed 410 miles out of a tank last week and was nippy enough to overtake etc.

I test drove the 2.0 150bhp diesel and the 1.5tsi 150bhp petrol, they both felt just as fast as each other but the diesel just wasn't as smooth and refined. Went petrol as my mileage doesn't warrant the pain of diesel.

Soldato
Soldato
Standard 3 Series (M-Sport) now have a Live Cockpit 12.3" instrument display and 10.25" high-resolution Control Display. So an extra inch over the Passat screen :)

M sport yes but SE and sport get standards dials and smaller screen. OP has pov spec 3 series vs passat so probably not M sport

Soldato
screen size is not the only factor no ?
Touch screen viewing angle/brightness and responsiveness count as well,
I have not seen specific information on the (arm) processors they use/ RAM / dac too, which can also be an indicator of music equalizer quality.
which of BM/VW have completely updated processor most recently ... I guess they don't disclose that - Is the tesla 3 system night and day vs others

(...yes infotainment is a small point of purchase decision)

Back
Top Bottom