2019 Passat Estate

Soldato
Touch screen viewing angle/brightness and responsiveness count as well,
Touchscreen interfaces are not for the road, minus points for the VW system there. The iDrive* interface is far superior.

* BMW infotainment can be used via the idrive controller which also has a touch pad, touch screen, gesture control, voice or steering wheel controls :)

How do you mean? the one in mine is OK as far as it goes - the system behind it could have been done a lot better.
Eyes off the road trying to touch a small area of the screen, or, scroll through a list, whilst travelling over a non-smooth surface - I see no problem :p

Man of Honour
Eyes off the road trying to touch a small area of the screen, or, scroll through a list, whilst travelling over a non-smooth surface - I see no problem :p

I get the eyes off road bit but I don't use it that way anyhow - mines a reasonable size and as far as that goes fairly well laid out so you don't have fiddly buttons, etc. to try and press though scrolling through a list isn't great. I have 2 extra set of controls for it including one lot on the steering wheel anyhow.

Soldato
I don't mind touchscreens much quicker than a dial when stationary, I've never had problem when moving as all the systems I have came across have hard buttons or steering wheel controls for when in motion.

Soldato
touch screens -- look up 2016 paper
"Car User Experience Patterns: A Pattern Collection in Progress"
However, in a recent driving simulation study
that focused on touch target size for in-vehicle information
systems, the authors determined that a touch key size of at
least 17.5x17.5 mm minimizes navigation error rate, lane
deviations, driving speed variation and glance time while
maximizing subjective usability ratings

Recommended limitations are
as follows
For touch devices without haptic feedback, limit
touch screen interactions to six touches for every
12 seconds.

•For touch devices with haptic feedback, limit
touch screen interactions only to certain functions.
•No restrictions apply to physical buttons while
driving.
•No restrictions apply while standing.

if system
responses take longer than 250 ms, the system should inform
the driver that it has recognized the input. If longer delays
(500 ms and above) are inevitable, Utesch and Vollrath [29]
recommend using acoustic or tactile feedback to indicate
system readiness, as this will reduce off-road glances.
Examples:
1. Demonstration of a 2015 Audi MMI System, showing
constant and short system response times [31].
2. Demonstration of a BMW 5 Series iDrive, showing long
but constant delays [32].
3. Demonstration of an Apple CarPlay IVIS in the Ferrari
FF showing long and variable delays. This might cause
distraction and annoyance [33]

Figure 9. VW Passat dashboard which combines few physical buttons with
a well-readable touch display LOL

.. so touch screen responsiveness maybe tightly controlled

Man of Honour
.. so touch screen responsiveness maybe tightly controlled

Actually worse rather than better IMO as if someone accidentally touches wrong, etc. and hits the limit their attention will probably be drawn away from the road scrambling around trying to make things work rather than going oh well I'll wait a moment and try again.

Soldato
...maybe it's safer to just have your (familiar/responsive) phone on a car mount, bigger screens make them increasingly viable, and use that, to navigate/schedule media ?

Soldato
OP
So my fleet manager just emailed me and said ‘bare in mind PuC is £150 max’ - what does this mean?

I’ve heard of PUC and BIK etc etc etc but it’s all so confusing to me lol

Man of Honour
Can you make a personal contribution to get a better car? If so I suspect he is saying you can't contribute more than £150 a month.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
PUC is personal contribution, so i guess your grade will allow you a certain range of cars, if you add some of your money then you can get a better car.

Or if you want to add options to the car that you are allowed, the value of the options is spread out over the term of lease,and that comes out of your own pocket, as a contribution. Making a contribution can help lower the tax a little. Plug your numbers into the comcar website.

Soldato
OP
PUC is personal contribution, so i guess your grade will allow you a certain range of cars, if you add some of your money then you can get a better car.

Or if you want to add options to the car that you are allowed, the value of the options is spread out over the term of lease,and that comes out of your own pocket, as a contribution. Making a contribution can help lower the tax a little. Plug your numbers into the comcar website.

That’s really helpful thank you

Back
Top Bottom