• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080ti cards failing ?

Associate
Hmm .. received my Inno3D GeForce RTX 2080 Ti X2 OC last week. Stock with no manual OC or anything daft.

Works fine until I stress it. Default fan profile gets it up to 84c ... manually setting fans to max (too bleeding noisy), drops to 64c or so. But .. keeps crashing

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EvQ4Y4HUDHrpYi876
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DjxdVqr2KX7pLWe37

Usually crashes whole PC but when it does not, these are the recorded temps
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DjxdVqr2KX7pLWe37

Brand new build - never had any other card or Windows on until now.

This was the build ... RMA time?

Intel Core i9 9900K, Aorus Z390 Master, Aorus 16GB RGB RAM **FREE 512GB SSD**
Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - OEM
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Intel Z390 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit
Gigabyte Aorus RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit
Seasonic Focus Plus 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply
be quiet! Silent Base 601 Midi-Tower Case - Orange Window
Inno3D GeForce RTX 2080 Ti X2 OC 11264MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
NZXT Kraken X62 AIO Water Cooling Unit - 280mm
WD Black 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe Solid State Drive (WDS100T2X0C)
Seagate 2TB FireCuda 2.5" 5400RPM SSHD Internal Hard Drive PC and PS4 (ST2000LX001)

RMA it only if you have tried the latest nvidia drivers even though they're trash.

A new stock gpu should never overheat especially with the stock cooler at 100%

If it gets too hot it should throttle down, not crash. Sounds like either bad thermal connectivity or bad overclock by inno3d

Soldato
I don’t think it’s so much the coils. I think it’s more the mosfets buzzing away. Minimal at 60hz but at 165hz it’s quite audible next to the case.
Most likely it's combination of things, from design to individual components and power draw "profile".
But MOSFETS are solid state devices without anything mechanical in them to make sound.
Though like any power semiconductor they can make noise when they "splode".

Its a feature ;)
"The Way It's Meant to be Played"

Soldato
My FE is the same. Probably the loudest thing in the system is the whine/buzz. But it isn’t heard over my rad fans and speakers.

Same with every 1080Ti I’ve had which is probably 10+ I’ve tested. All different brands and boards. Some are worse than others but never eliminated. Just a norm really for such a power hungry card.

I don’t think it’s so much the coils. I think it’s more the mosfets buzzing away. Minimal at 60hz but at 165hz it’s quite audible next to the case.

Cap fps at around 80 and it usually silences any buzzing.

Associate
RMA it only if you have tried the latest nvidia drivers even though they're trash.

A new stock gpu should never overheat especially with the stock cooler at 100%

If it gets too hot it should throttle down, not crash. Sounds like either bad thermal connectivity or bad overclock by inno3d

OCUK said all their cards run at 84+c on air ... ouch.

The fans never wound up to 100% by themselves even when max temp reached. Only manually could I get them to bring the temps down. Very odd.

Anyhow, usual no quibble RMA by OC ... but no new one shipped out until old received and tested :( One useless computer.

Associate
I am new to all of this but, If its just a problem of poor cooling for the memory, why do we still see aftermarket solutions and Watercooled cards failing?

Iam in the middle of a new water cooling build and have an Asus RTX 2080 Ti Dual OC arriving tomorrow and had planned on running it for a few weeks in my HTPC whilst I wait for my Heatkiller water cooler and back plate to arrive. I am in two minds whether to send it back and wait till the dust settles with regards to the whole RTX debacle or run the risk of keeping it and end up maybe having to RMA it later.

Soldato
Most likely it's combination of things, from design to individual components and power draw "profile".
But MOSFETS are solid state devices without anything mechanical in them to make sound.
Though like any power semiconductor they can make noise when they "splode".

"The Way It's Meant to be Played"

Much like coils they still have potential to oscillate and create noise purely on how all the phases/mosfets are driven. I mean it may not be the mosfets themselves, and could be something else in the power circuit. But it certainly seems that way on what i have seen and tested. I have even stripped an old card and listened to it while running and the noise im positive isn't coming from the coils unless its at thousands of fps.

DIYperks did a video once, see if i can find it where he actually desoldered a choke off the board and found that it wasn't the choke making the noise but the mosfet itself.

15mins in.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Be interesting if they could get an artifacting FE card then slap a compatible third party cooler on it to see if it makes a difference.

Soldato
Cap fps at around 80 and it usually silences any buzzing.
I have my pc under the desk so its not heard anyway in game for me. But it is the reason its under there now (moved it when i got my first 1080Ti). I mainly play at high refresh so capping a lower framrate isnt really something I want to do.

Have used blanks on all off my pcie slots and foam stripped the rear ports and such of the card which has almost silenced it unless your head is next to the case. It can no longer be heard over my fans at 8-900rpm anyway. Even at 165hz.

Associate
It’s not widespread at all. The numbers are very low. The news of it did spread like wildfire. It’s been hugely overblown.

Nvidia do need a reality check though.
I'd counter that with the rather small Sim Racing community I'm a part of having noticeably high failure rates. Something that really shouldn't happen with such a low sample size.

The numbers are way higher than normal and seem to stem from the PCB design. As a result that's going to increase failure rates as it's basically a problem with all the 2080 and 2080Ti cards.

Soldato
I'd counter that with the rather small Sim Racing community I'm a part of having noticeably high failure rates. Something that really shouldn't happen with such a low sample size.

The numbers are way higher than normal and seem to stem from the PCB design. As a result that's going to increase failure rates as it's basically a problem with all the 2080 and 2080Ti cards.

Even der8auer saying the numbers are low.

Soldato
Already posted.

But with no numbers the video means nothing.
And he works for Caseking\OCUK ...that alone should tell something.

He gives indication of volume in thousands, you can work out the percentage yourself if you simply assume say out of 1,000 it’s a small number.

This is actually funny how overblown it’s all getting...

Back
Top Bottom