• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080ti cards failing ?

Soldato
Yeah I don’t think it’s as bad as is made out. You have to consider that thousands of cards thus far will have been sold and I’d imagine the rma return rate is still in the percents range so far.

GN says the temps for the FE vrm, core and memory are all within spec but they are using micron rather than Samsung and hynix. Time will tell I guess if more and more cards start having issues.

I wonder how many are returns due to dodgy fans, red/orange led’s etc?

Soldato
It’s not widespread at all. The numbers are very low. The news of it did spread like wildfire. It’s been hugely overblown.

He gives indication of volume in thousands, you can work out the percentage yourself if you simply assume say out of 1,000 it’s a small number.

This is actually funny how overblown it’s all getting...

The problem with the video from the Caseking guy is that they don't do FE cards and the bulk of the cards reporting issues are FE cards. Also, I don't think CaseKing or any other retailer would do anything to damage their sales. They are going to come and reassure everybody that things are fine until Nvidia confirms or denies that a problem exists.

Maybe you guys are right and there isn't a problem or that it's been overblown. We see it happening time and time again on the internet. Bad news spreads like wildfire and the story escalates with every new site that links to it. I hope for all the new owners that you are right.

But, there are a lot of people reporting issues. Take this thread, 8 people have returned their cards. Journey's company got 18 2080ti cards, 3 of them were faulty. Ltron's RMA was taking ages, contacted Digital River to find out what the problem was, and was told that there was an extremely high return rate on Nvidia's new product.

Here is a google doc made with info from a survey on the Nvidia forums

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BHwsdI5cCaUUQu0vRtHgGDGrG-3Vf7_b82KX_lZ4-9M/edit#gid=0

If you go to HardOcp, they did a survey too. So far, 90 people have reported no problems with their 2080Ti, 16 said that their 2080Ti died.

Small sample sizes I admit but it certainly looks like something's not quite right. Is it been overblown? I don't know.

Soldato
The problem with the video from the Caseking guy is that they don't do FE cards and the bulk of the cards reporting issues are FE cards. Also, I don't think CaseKing or any other retailer would do anything to damage their sales. They are going to come and reassure everybody that things are fine until Nvidia confirms or denies that a problem exists.

Maybe you guys are right and there isn't a problem or that it's been overblown. We see it happening time and time again on the internet. Bad news spreads like wildfire and the story escalates with every new site that links to it. I hope for all the new owners that you are right.

But, there are a lot of people reporting issues. Take this thread, 8 people have returned their cards. Journey's company got 18 2080ti cards, 3 of them were faulty. Ltron's RMA was taking ages, contacted Digital River to find out what the problem was, and was told that there was an extremely high return rate on Nvidia's new product.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BHwsdI5cCaUUQu0vRtHgGDGrG-3Vf7_b82KX_lZ4-9M/edit#gid=0

If you go to HardOcp, they did a survey too. So far, 90 people have reported no problems with their 2080Ti, 16 said that their 2080Ti died.

Small sample sizes I admit but it certainly looks like something's not quite right. Is it been overblown? I don't know.

Far too open to false/bad reporting, also are they not the very people that started this in the first place?

Caporegime
Far too open to false/bad reporting, also are they not the very people that started this in the first place?

Started what? :confused:

As for them being open to "false reporting", nope. They've been very accurate with their reporting and don't pull punches be it intel, nvidia or amd.

Soldato

What are you talking about? who started what?

And what false reporting? The guys on this forum? The forum members on HardOcp? The users on Nvidia's forum?

Are they all lying? Do you really trust the numbers from the Caseking guy?

Soldato
Just to make it clear, we've used 100's of reference 1080 TI's with blower style coolers, and I checked the failure rate against all the models I could find in the ERP system and combined there is less than 1.1% of defective products Vs products consumed, and that 1.1% includes miscellaneous failure, which could mean a broken cooler shroud etc.

We've only had 18x 2080 TI's given to us by a customer to integrate into one of there system designs, and two of those have real issues relating to build/power/RAM or whatever, and one with a physical defect relating to the cooling assembly so that's not great.

The failed cards have already been replaced, and the customer is handling the issue with Nvidia but we are working closely with them in order to mitigate further delays, and log any non conforming products.

Personally I think it's just an early revision or component batch issue, which will be identified and dealt with and nothing publicly will be said, I've seen a lot worse than this but I understand why some people might be concerned.

Soldato
He gives indication of volume in thousands, you can work out the percentage yourself if you simply assume say out of 1,000 it’s a small number.

This is actually funny how overblown it’s all getting...

The problem with the video is he doesnt state how the figures come about.

Is a confirmed fault a RMA, or just any return without verification? If the latter then the 10x0 return figures are probably inflated, which in turn could smother the current 20x0 returns, also he isnt selling FE cards.

Soldato

correct, also notable no retailer acknowledged the 3.5gig gtx 970 issue either, simply put as it would harm their sales.

Associate
lol if you have the cash get 2 asus rtx 2080 ti in sli but in 1 yeares time from now they will be crap. lol still have 2 asus gtx matrix in sli not seen eny thing would even try 2 upgrade to and my cpu is runing at 5 hhz

Soldato
Started what? :confused:

As for them being open to "false reporting", nope. They've been very accurate with their reporting and don't pull punches be it intel, nvidia or amd.

Sorry wasnt clear - not their reporting but forum reporting in general, I thought they were the first vid up on this but I might be wrong when there were a few fails and suddenly it was the end of the world. If you think of it like this a section of self reported forum users, if you took the amount of trolling on this and other forums in to account I'd be surprised you trusted the numbers good or bad - its not exactly science is my point. Small collection of self reports from a public forum and especially not an accurate measure given you are more likely to sign up if you have a faulty product, that is all.

Are they all lying? Do you really trust the numbers from the Caseking guy?

As above, dont take so much offence - you link to a document which has no verified purchase and many people are in it 2-3 times if not more which is very reliable data... Re: 'Caseking guy' yes I do trust him, first and foremost he's his own man and pretty well respected - if you are calling him caseking guy you clearly don't know who he is or you'd call him by his other name.

Caporegime
Sorry wasnt clear - not their reporting but forum reporting in general, I thought they were the first vid up on this but I might be wrong when there were a few fails and suddenly it was the end of the world. If you think of it like this a section of self reported forum users, if you took the amount of trolling on this and other forums in to account I'd be surprised you trusted the numbers good or bad - its not exactly science is my point. Small collection of self reports from a public forum and especially not an accurate measure given you are more likely to sign up if you have a faulty product, that is all.

They've already acknowledged forum reporting isn't perfect, its just to get an idea of numbers. But think about it this way, when was the last time you heard of a site asking people to send their borked cards in for checking out? I can't recall it happening before, so presumably there's must be some substance to it being a larger number of defective cards than nvidia are acknowledging. If the cooler is the source of the problem (and considering the thermal images thats' a very good possibility) on the FE card then it stands to reason etailer numbers won't be as high for rma's as they don't have it for sale.

Back
Top Bottom