• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080ti cards failing ?

Caporegime
I'm not saying it's impossible, but the chances of receiving 4 dead cards must be astronomical (I've only had one duff card, second one is a keeper...so far).

Are you sure it's not something else causing these cards to die?

Not that astronomical, hardocp had 2 out of their 3 FE cards die, one being a replacement with the newer ram. It honestly wouldn't shock me if one of their replacements also croaked.

Associate
Does anyone know how approximately long it takes after the symptoms show for the card to completely die? So far it hasn’t black screened again. I think I am going to game more intensely on it so that whatever happens happens before my return period expires.

Caporegime
Does anyone know how approximately long it takes after the symptoms show for the card to completely die? So far it hasn’t black screened again. I think I am going to game more intensely on it so that whatever happens happens before my return period expires.

Varies, could be hours days or weeks.

Associate
CrReaM the Twitch streamer had his 2080ti die on him after about a month.
He did report minor issues shortly before the card died but thought it was driver related at the time.

It seems it was rather the card degrading over time ending with the space invaders attack while streaming.

Last edited:
Soldato

With the apparent failure rate what it is I'd be returning it and waiting it out for a fixed version tbh

Soldato
Someone's probably using them to open up a coalface somewhere.

Maybe Nvidia sat on them. Mining them to within a inch of thier existence. Would explain the 12 month delay... and limited availability... and lackluster gaming performance :p

It would also explain Nvidia's huge drop in share price.

Associate
Not that astronomical, hardocp had 2 out of their 3 FE cards die, one being a replacement with the newer ram. It honestly wouldn't shock me if one of their replacements also croaked.
These are not FE cards though. They're three different AIBs. I know that those are also having some issues, but not to the extent of the nVidia cards as far as I'm aware.

To have that kind of bad luck... astronomical. The OP should start playing the Euromillions.

Caporegime
These are not FE cards though. They're three different AIBs. I know that those are also having some issues, but not to the extent of the nVidia cards as far as I'm aware.

To have that kind of bad luck... astronomical. The OP should start playing the Euromillions.

Which adds more credence to the dodgy gpu theory.

Associate
I'm in the process of RMAing my Strix 2080 Ti with another retailer.

I asked them how frequently this was happening with the RTX series. They explicitly told me that that failure rates were in line with other series' launches. Of the 13 Strix 2080 Tis they sold, only mine had failed so I was apparently very unlucky.

Soldato

Which adds more credence to the dodgy gpu theory.

Somebody over on HardOCP had 4 bad 2080Ti's in a row. Posted proof as well.

Soldato
Somebody over on HardOCP had 4 bad 2080Ti's in a row. Posted proof as well.

The fact a few people have had a bunch of faulty ones in a row now just says the failure rate is a lot higher than they are letting on.

Also seeing them die on live streams, more than once. That pretty much never happens.

Caporegime
The fact a few people have had a bunch of faulty ones in a row now just says the failure rate is a low higher than they are letting on.

Also seeing them die on live streams, more than once. That pretty much never happens.

That's been the suspicion for a while that more are croaking that what they're admitting to. Just makes the small number of test boards claim even more farsical.

Soldato
That's been the suspicion for a while that more are croaking that what they're admitting to. Just makes the small number of test boards claim even more farsical.

Yep the only time I've seen hardware failure on this kind of scale before was Xbox360 and the red rings of death. Seagate HDDs too I suppose, which also have a ridiculously high failure rate :p

Soldato
I'm in the process of RMAing my Strix 2080 Ti with another retailer.

I asked them how frequently this was happening with the RTX series. They explicitly told me that that failure rates were in line with other series' launches. Of the 13 Strix 2080 Tis they sold, only mine had failed so I was apparently very unlucky.

Of course you were, if the RMA rates are only 1 or 2% as retailers and Nvidia tell us they are, then the chances of you getting a bad card in a random batch of 13 is unbelievably low. So, yeah, You were unlucky, Gripen was unlucky to have one 2080ti and two other RTX cards fail on him. There are 11 other unlucky people on this forum that have had to RMA their cards. The bad luck continues on other forums, on Hardocp, for example, Kyle was unlucky to get two bad cards in a row, some other guy was so unlucky that he had to RMA 4 different 2080Ti cards.

It just seem that there has been a lot of use for the word "Unlucky" with the 2080ti cards.

Caporegime
Yep the only time I've seen hardware failure on this kind of scale before was Xbox360 and the red rings of death.

I remember that as well, initial reports of that were also treated with suspicion then downplayed. Same situation here. People getting numerous faulty replacements from new stock should also raise a few eyebrows.

Soldato
I remember that as well, initial reports of that were also treated with suspicion then downplayed. Same situation here. People getting numerous faulty replacements from new stock should also raise a few eyebrows.

Yes and it eventually ended up being well over a 50% failure rate. So you had to be lucky for it to NOT break :/

Associate
If the RMA rates are indeed higher than expected for AIB cards, then yes, I'd agree there's a major problem with the actual silicon (I know a few YT reviewers have had non-reference boards die on them, even the Gigabyte 2070 that Joker reviewed).

The only people likely to confirm actual failure rates on AIB boards are retailers themselves, but so far it's business as usual...apparently. (can OCUK confirm?)

My first 2080Ti FE died within a week (I think I was one of the first here to report something amiss). I regret not getting a refund, but so far the replacement has not skipped a beat. If it even blinks or looks at me funny I'll be sending it back mind you!

Back
Top Bottom