• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080TI FE to 4070 super??

Soldato
for me anything less than 50% increase is a broken pencil.

its-pointless-brian-m.gif

Associate
4070 Super will offer a nice boost, just over 40% on average, well over 50% in some games. You also get FG to play with, although you can probably enable FSR3 FG now with mods. Higher base framerate helps reduce latency though.

Worth it, stretch to 4070 Ti Super if you can, with a 5800X3D a 4070S/4070TI Super is probably about right. Ignore the naysayers, miserable gits.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it mostly comes down to cost, and your budget.

£470 was the MSRP for the RTX 3070 (which was considered a moderately affordable card on release, and offers similar performance to the 2080 TI), so if you can get a RTX 4070s for the same money, that would be OK value.

Or less than that for a used card.

I think the higher amount of VRAM (that's also higher spec) is likely to keep the prices high on these cards, especially since the standard RTX 4070 is still quite expensive at ~£530.

If not, probably just worth waiting for new cards to come out.

Last edited:
Soldato
My impression is that RDNA4 will be launched in September - November this year.

No RDNA3 refresh cards, so I doubt there will be a delay.

Nvidia is ahead with their technology (not massively) and the RTX 4000 series has done well. Also the Supers have only been launched recently (effectively allowing Nvidia to hold their prices high for the 4070 TI + 4080 and 4090 GPU tiers - ~£1,000 is still not cheap for a 4080!), so I think the RTX 5000 series will probably come a few months after AMD's launch. Nvidia's 4N node is reported to be expensive, so I'm not sure they why they would want to rush the launch of a series utilizing a more advanced fabrication process.

I also think it won't blow people away, because it is another iteration of Ampere (presumably the final one). I guess it might depend on how much dense and power efficient the new process is.

I think AMD's competitiveness will mostly come down to how good their next fabrication process is, which the rumour mill as usual has provided no useful / reliable info on. Nvidia has the capability to invest more than AMD, so I think they will probably end up with the better node overall.

I think both companies will probably be using some variant of 3nm...

Last edited:
Associate
Bully for you, the OP is clearly not a person who upgrades for the sake of it effectively and wants a worthwhile uplift.

I think I'd do the same in his/her position.

That's fine, but 40% is more than enough to justify an upgrade, I've upgraded for a lot less over the years. :)

Can probably get £200-250 for the 2080Ti as well which would offset the cost. Waiting is always an option, but who knows what price the 5000 series is going to come in at, could be the 4000 series all over again with ludicrous prices.

Associate
That's fine, but 40% is more than enough to justify an upgrade, I've upgraded for a lot less over the years. :)

Can probably get £200-250 for the 2080Ti as well which would offset the cost. Waiting is always an option, but who knows what price the 5000 series is going to come in at, could be the 4000 series all over again with ludicrous prices.
Well that's for the OP to decide. I personally think that 40% is not more than enough at all at these current prices and I think the OP agrees. After all, it's their money that would be spent. So encouraging an upgrade when it's clearly only good value to yourself is potentially not the best advice, your financial situation will be different to the OP's.

Soldato
OP
Bully for you, the OP is clearly not a person who upgrades for the sake of it effectively and wants a worthwhile uplift.

I think I'd do the same in his/her position.

Basically this. Prior to my 2080ti i had a 1060 6gb and i only have the 2080ti as it was a competition prize. Most ive spent on a GPU was £200 i think so if im going to get violated by modern day GPU prices it needs to be worthwhile and something ill be happy with for 4-5 years

Associate
Basically this. Prior to my 2080ti i had a 1060 6gb and i only have the 2080ti as it was a competition prize. Most ive spent on a GPU was £200 i think so if im going to get violated by modern day GPU prices it needs to be worthwhile and something ill be happy with for 4-5 years
Then wait 100%.

Associate
Exactly. It's also the uplift you'd actually notice that has to be taken into consideration. Your 2080ti isn't that far behind my 3080 in terms of performance and my card will run out of video memory before yours does. Given the 4070 is pretty similar to the 3080, you're talking a lot of money for a performance increase that absolutely doesn't match the financial outlay. They've totally took the **** this time round, both NVidia and AMD.

It's too late really in the cycle now, but a 4070 from a 2080ti wasn't worth it even when the 4070 came out. 4080/4080s would be the minimum I'd shoot for, but only if prices become more sensible.

Which they won't :cry:

Back
Top Bottom